NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

most credible media source??

Go down

most credible media source?? Empty most credible media source??

Post by inmyopinion on Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:44 pm

In your opinion??

Back to top Go down

most credible media source?? Empty Re: most credible media source??

Post by Original Quill on Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:10 pm

NBC, and it's off-shoot MSNBC. The latter will go out on a limb, but most often it turns out to be true. Rachael Maddow is the best anchor.

Next, is ABC.

"What's yours is mine, and what's mine is mine." ― Old Republican proverb.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars (1993).

Original Quill

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:09 pm

In the US?

NPR probably has the least bias, at least in it's news. It also has podcasts that tend to be dominated by folks on the left.

Many media sources are credible, but they tend to cover only what they want in order to push their bias.

I read a lot of Reason.com because it covers things people with a left or right bias won't. But it's not really news, because they don't compile the information, they do basically what Maddow does, with a different bias.

Maddow is not an anchor. She gives her opinion of the news.

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:09 pm

In America, I think the New York Times and the Washington Post are the gold standard. Reporters and editors at those papers literally innovate the reporting techniques that are adapted by other media outlets across the U.S. and the world.

Credibility is about a lot more than bias, of course. Proper reporting goes beyond the who, what, when, where, why and how, and gets into context, anticipates all groups affected by the news and includes them, and while not presenting the reporter's opinion, doesn't bend over backwards to present some shallow sense of balance.

The journalists at the Times and the Post literally live journalism, they have a passion for it rarely seen in other fields. And they inspire legions of wannabes, which I kind of was while I was reporting in Texas.

Of course, people will point to a handful of stories they got grossly wrong and try to discredit them, ignoring the hundreds of thousands of stories they got right. Journalism is like housecleaning -- people don't notice when you do it right as much as when you really screw it up.

I tend to shy away from TV news unless I only want a headline-level grasp of what's going on.

– George Bernard Shaw
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:32 am

The Guardian has always shown itself to be pretty impartial and willing to call to account whoever is in power. As the only major news outlet in the UK that is without a super rich owner I think it is fair to say that the Guardian is far less agenda driven than others are likely to be. Of course it leans left, and that is clear in the opinion pieces, but its reporting is always stripped of any sensationalism and personal opinion.

They also tend to be the ones to break news that hits right at the top - Snowden and Wikileaks for example. Instead of constantly aiming at marginalised groups to appeal to the base divisiveness (as seen in so much of the RW press).

Of course as Ben says, all outlets make mistakes, and the Guardian is no exception.

"The beginning of wisdom is the definition of terms" Socrates
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by inmyopinion on Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:06 am

Eilzel wrote:The Guardian has always shown itself to be pretty impartial and willing to call to account whoever is in power. As the only major news outlet in the UK that is without a super rich owner I think it is fair to say that the Guardian is far less agenda driven than others are likely to be. Of course it leans left, and that is clear in the opinion pieces, but its reporting is always stripped of any sensationalism and personal opinion.

They also tend to be the ones to break news that hits right at the top - Snowden and Wikileaks for example. Instead of constantly aiming at marginalised groups to appeal to the base divisiveness (as seen in so much of the RW press).

Of course as Ben says, all outlets make mistakes, and the Guardian is no exception.

doesn't it bother you that the guardian was founded on money from slave trading, yes it was a long time ago but I guess it is more important now than ever.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:27 am

inmyopinion wrote:
Eilzel wrote:The Guardian has always shown itself to be pretty impartial and willing to call to account whoever is in power. As the only major news outlet in the UK that is without a super rich owner I think it is fair to say that the Guardian is far less agenda driven than others are likely to be. Of course it leans left, and that is clear in the opinion pieces, but its reporting is always stripped of any sensationalism and personal opinion.

doesn't it bother you that the guardian was founded on money from slave trading, yes it was a long time ago but I guess it is more important now than ever.

It doesn't bother me. A lot of things from the 18th and 19th century were founded on slavery. Coming from Manchester myself, I'd have to condemn practically the entire city's industrial era success if I were to be offended by connections to slavery. I was one of many who condemned Edward Colston's statue being removed since it is moronic to judge people from that era based on involvement with slavery.

Slavery existed; it was wrong, but it happened; nothing we can do about that now, but we can fight against modern injustices. And the Guardian is one of the few news outlets that does just that.

Fact is the Guardian was established as a result of the Peterloo Massacre in Manchester and had the purpose of giving a voice to the plight of the British working class where there previously wasn't much of one.

Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

inmyopinion likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by inmyopinion on Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:30 am

Eilzel wrote:
inmyopinion wrote:

It doesn't bother me. A lot of things from the 18th and 19th century were founded on slavery. Coming from Manchester myself, I'd have to condemn practically the entire city's industrial era success if I were to be offended by connections to slavery. I was one of many who condemned Edward Colston's statue being removed since it is moronic to judge people from that era based on involvement with slavery.

Slavery existed; it was wrong, but it happened; nothing we can do about that now, but we can fight against modern injustices. And the Guardian is one of the few news outlets that does just that.

Fact is the Guardian was established as a result of the Peterloo Massacre in Manchester and had the purpose of giving a voice to the plight of the British working class where there previously wasn't much of one.

I'm so pleased to here you say that, I was hoping you would respond in this manner, the idea of destroying any connection to slavery is ridiculous. It happened.
good on you, well done.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:45 pm

inmyopinion wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
inmyopinion wrote:

I'm so pleased to here you say that, I was hoping you would respond in this manner, the idea of destroying any connection to slavery is ridiculous. It happened.
good on you, well done.

Not so much about destroying connections, more just pointing out where they are irrelevant.

Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:04 pm

The Guardian arse licks the EU and is full of left-wing remainers ! Just my opinion,[shared by Millions] .
nicko
nicko

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:02 pm

https://www.allsides.com/media-bias/media-bias-chart

This site ranks bias, which is different than credibility. It also breaks out the news portion from the editorial or opinion portion of a news organization.

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

inmyopinion likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:41 am

nicko wrote:The Guardian arse licks the EU and is full of left-wing remainers ! Just my opinion,[shared by Millions] .

You keep believing everything Viscount Rothermere and Rupert Murdoch tell you, nicko. I'm sure those billionaires have your best interests in mind Wink

Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum