NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just what we need.

Go down

Just what we need.   Empty Just what we need.

Post by Maddog on Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:00 pm

A massive plume of dust from the Sahara Desert is drifting across the Atlantic Ocean and is expected to blanket parts of the Southeastern United States this week.

The enormous dust cloud — which some experts say could be the biggest and most intense Saharan plume in 50 years — could aggravate health problems, including asthma and other respiratory illnesses, and make visibility difficult on the ground.

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/coronavirus-stricken-u-s-faces-another-problem-massive-dust-cloud-n1231985

I can see hospitals getting overwhelmed with people wheezing thinking they have the Rona.

Hell, I thought I might have 14 times or so.

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

Maddog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Just what we need.   Empty Re: Just what we need.

Post by Original Quill on Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:27 pm

They say it's headed for Texas, too.  It will stall at the Colorado Plateau--commonly called the southern Rocky Mountains, for you Brits.  The southern terminus of the Continental Divide ends (for this country) in New Mexico.

Dust plume in the corner pocket.

Just what we need.   26548

"What's yours is mine, and what's mine is mine." ― Old Republican proverb.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars (1993).

Original Quill

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:49 pm

Ben is flying back to Texas on Monday. Is the dust storm happening then???

eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:21 pm

Looks like it's already underway and will have mostly cleared by the time I land.

– George Bernard Shaw
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:34 pm

eddie wrote:Ben is flying back to Texas on Monday. Is the dust storm happening then???

Should be gone by then I would think. But I'm used to dust storms from West Texas, not Saudi Arabia.

Looks like some polluted 3rd world country from my balcony. But I've had friends ride today and it gave them little or no problems breathing.

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

Maddog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:37 pm

And if it's still here, he has another reason to wear his mask.

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:38 pm

I've been in one's in Arizona. Nasty things. Called a “Haboob” in Arizona, it’s like a "Scirocco", the ones coming off the Sahara, north to the Mediterranean Sea.

I remember once I was flying to Tucson, and the plane did a quick stop-over at Sky Harbor, in Phoenix. The Captain announced that a sandstorm was coming, and he wanted to get in the air beforehand. We barely made it, but it gave us a great chance to look down on it, and what it was like and such. It was a great cloud of dusty brown, crawling across the entire state.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars (1993).

Original Quill

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:39 pm

Maddog wrote:And if it's still here, he has another reason to wear his mask.  

He can’t travel anywhere here on public transport, without one, including the plane.

eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:45 pm

eddie wrote:

He can’t travel anywhere here on public transport, without one, including the plane.

I think that's the same here. I'm not getting on any public transportation so I'm not worried about it. He will need it in all stores or places that offer goods and services to the public.

Cases are kicking off here. Good news is deaths aren't.

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:48 pm

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:

I think that's the same here. I'm not getting on any public transportation so I'm not worried about it.  He will need it in all stores or places that offer goods and services to the public.  

Cases are kicking off here. Good news is deaths aren't.  

Our deaths are going back up.

eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:00 pm

Maddog wrote:Cases are kicking off here. Good news is deaths aren't.

Deaths follow, by about two weeks I remember the epidemiologists saying, back when New York took off.

Original Quill

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:02 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:Cases are kicking off here. Good news is deaths aren't.

Deaths follow, by about two weeks I remember the epidemiologists saying, back when New York took off.

Yeah, New York got hit bad. It was on our news frequently.

eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum