NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HARRY AND MEGHAN,,,,,,RIGHT OR WRONG?

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

HARRY AND MEGHAN,,,,,,RIGHT OR WRONG? - Page 4 Empty HARRY AND MEGHAN,,,,,,RIGHT OR WRONG?

Post by gelico on Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

so there is so much discussion going on about this, how do you guys feel about this situation

The way I see it, any royal except the main crown takers are bound to feel like a bit of a spare part, who are they? what do they do?  what is their actual role?  how much money do they receive, etc etc

i do feel a bit sorry for meghan being a total outsider, she doesn't have the first idea about the royal family and how it works and i think she was warned by friends don't do it.  having ditched her family, she now has no one she can really confide in except close friends and she feels unwanted.

on the other hand Harry should have had the decency to not go public until talks had been completed.

also heard comments that for harry and megan go off and create brand sussex and make a fortune off the back of their titles but without any of the royal responsibility would be totally wrong

some really sad comments that the brothers are almost estranged over this and they've always been so close

comments?

gelico

Back to top Go down

HARRY AND MEGHAN,,,,,,RIGHT OR WRONG? - Page 4 Empty Re: HARRY AND MEGHAN,,,,,,RIGHT OR WRONG?

Post by Cass on Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:11 pm

Vintage wrote:Although they are part of the Royal family they aren't active in it. They live their own lives and work at whatever they do, there isn't huge pressure on them, they only tend to be seen at family gatherings, they aren't constantly in the media  so I doubt its much to do with being part of the RF.

Fair point but it’s also about making that living and how to go about it without tarnishing the crown or making a mistake which would then lead to a media feeding frenzy.

the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

HARRY AND MEGHAN,,,,,,RIGHT OR WRONG? - Page 4 Empty Re: HARRY AND MEGHAN,,,,,,RIGHT OR WRONG?

Post by Tommy Monk on Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:28 pm

It's a distraction from prince Andrew...

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:35 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:It's a distraction from prince Andrew...

Gd point, toms. It almost seems an invented distraction, to pull attention away from the real problem area.

Look over there...don't look over here!

Because, really...Harry and Meghan are much ado about nothing. And, Andrew porking infant children is something really heinous.

"What's yours is mine, and what's mine is mine." ― Old Republican proverb.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars (1993).

Original Quill

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:36 pm

I know Americans don't seem very interested in the Royals of other countries. Are the citizens of countries with Royals as interested in the Royals of their country like the Brits are with their Royals?

I guess I'm asking why the fascination with the British Royal family over other Royal families?

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:39 pm

Most of us aren't that interested... But the media can't help themselves keep banging on about them...

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:08 pm

Maddog wrote:I know Americans don't seem very interested in the Royals of other countries. Are the citizens of countries with Royals as interested in the Royals of their country like the Brits are with their Royals?

I guess I'm asking why the fascination with the British Royal family over other Royal families?

I like reading about all the royal families. I got into it through history and reading about Queen Victoria and how and where her many children, grandchildren and great grandchildren lived and went back from there.

It was the summer of 1981 when Charles and Diana were getting married and my parents were divorcing so keeping a scrapbook and cutting out articles and keeping me occupied. From there it grew into a huge collection. I have coins from George III onwards, some newspapers printed the day Victoria died and some neat pieces from her onwards. I don’t actively collect but my son and sister in law have some wine glasses from the current Queen’s silver jubilee waiting for me to collect next week.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage on Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:18 pm

I think people in countries with Royal Families are quite interested. There seems to be good turn outs for the various events they attend. There;s also a lot of scrutiny, hence the Danish crown prince and princess are in trouble for owning a ski lodge in Switzerland which they rented out and the government not knowing about it. There's also the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg who is dubbed the Demon Duchess , to mention a few well two. There has been some furore about who is marrying into some of the Nordic and Dutch families a few years ago.

Vintage

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:07 pm

Vintage wrote:I think people in countries with Royal Families are quite interested. There seems to be good turn outs for the various events they attend. There;s also a lot of scrutiny, hence the Danish crown prince and princess are in trouble for owning a ski lodge in Switzerland which they rented out and the government not knowing about it. There's also the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg who is dubbed the Demon Duchess , to mention a few well two. There has been some furore about who is marrying into some of the Nordic and Dutch families a few years ago.

Yes Mette-Marie who was a single parent married the Crown Prince of Norway. Don’t fortQueen Letizia of Spain who was divorced. Modern times, modern families.

I have heard that about Luxembourg but not the Danes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:31 pm

If you have an interest in history, interest in the Royals is just an extension of that.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars (1993).

Original Quill

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:19 pm

Vintage wrote:I think people in countries with Royal Families are quite interested. There seems to be good turn outs for the various events they attend. There;s also a lot of scrutiny, hence the Danish crown prince and princess are in trouble for owning a ski lodge in Switzerland which they rented out and the government not knowing about it. There's also the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg who is dubbed the Demon Duchess , to mention a few well two. There has been some furore about who is marrying into some of the Nordic and Dutch families a few years ago.

Maybe that's it. Americans (outside of Cass) don't seem to care one bit about other Royals. Not since Grace Kelly died a few decades ago.

I've never seen the American press cover other Royal families (outside of the Saudis for obvious reasons). I doubt 95% of Americans even know the Danes have a monarchy.

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage on Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:34 pm

I wouldn't really expect Americans to be very interested, although saying that if they are of Northern European heritage and are interested in their own history they may be some what interested or not.

Vintage

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:25 pm

Maddog wrote:

Maybe that's it. Americans (outside of Cass) don't seem to care one bit about other Royals. Not since Grace Kelly died a few decades ago.

I've never seen the American press cover other Royal families (outside of the Saudis for obvious reasons). I doubt 95% of Americans even know the Danes have a monarchy.  

The major news outlets cover all the British major Royal events. I’ve had parties for both William and Harry’s weddings. The first one I wore a flashing tiara and at the second, the hat I wore to Buckingham Palace. I baked up a lot of British goodies and we had that along with champers and smoked salmon at 3 am. I have seen the Japanese family have extensive coverage as well as some of the lesser known European royalties. But major nightly news? Not unless it’s a really big thing. Diana triggered it for me as well as plenty of other Americans. We do in a way, have our own “royalty” in presidential families. Thousands of books have been written about them. They were big news in newspapers and magazines before the rise if television and social media.

Quill, quite right. Most of the world’s counties had royal families at the helm right back to pre-biblical times. Just Northern America (if you don’t count Hawaii), the Arctics and you could make a case for Australia/New Zealand didn’t but they did have tribal royalties.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:24 pm

Vintage wrote: I wouldn't really expect Americans to be very interested, although saying that if they are of Northern European heritage and are interested in their own history they may be some what interested or not.

Americans are very interested in the British Monarchy.

The others. not so much. That was sorta my point. Why do people follow the British Royals, and ignore the others. Guess it's the common language to a degree.

noun

Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:42 am

Cass wrote:Quill, quite right. Most of the world’s counties had royal families at the helm right back to pre-biblical times. Just Northern America (if you don’t count Hawaii), the Arctics and you could make a case for Australia/New Zealand didn’t but they did have tribal royalties.

I got into it because I wrote a doctoral dissertation on Thomas Hobbes, which led me to branch out from history of British political ideas, to British history generally, thence to Scottish history, and on to European history generally.

I now teach a local university class in it, and don't tell me that it is of no interest to Americans...students flock to it.  In fact, Cass, you should approach one of Arizona's three universities (whichever is nearest to you) and propose a class in History of the British Monarchy.  You are beyond capable.  I bet they would jump at it...students are hungry for the topic, and department heads love a hot academic subject that ups their attendance figures.

Original Quill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum