NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Evidence increases for reading on paper instead of screens

2 posters

Go down

Evidence increases for reading on paper instead of screens Empty Evidence increases for reading on paper instead of screens

Post by Guest Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:59 pm

Most studies point to better reading comprehension from printed material, researcher says

Virginia Clinton prefers to read on a screen. Her love affair with digital texts began when she was a new mother, juggling the workload of a young academic with diapers and feedings. “I have warm, fuzzy memories of rocking my babies to sleep and reading one-handed on my phone,” Clinton said. As an assistant professor of education at the University of North Dakota, Clinton had encouraged her students to save money on textbooks and buy cheaper digital versions or use free materials online. Her research specialty was reading comprehension. According to theories she learned in graduate school, she recalled, there should be no difference between reading on paper and reading on a screen.

But many of her education students told her they preferred paper, she said. Clinton decided to delve into at all the studies published since 2008 about reading on screens. She compiled results from 33 high-quality studies that tested students’ comprehension after they were randomly assigned to read on a screen or on paper and found that her students might be right.

The studies showed that students of all ages, from elementary school to college, tend to absorb more when they’re reading on paper than on screens, particularly when it comes to nonfiction material. “Sometimes you should print it out, especially if it’s long,” said Clinton.

Clinton now tells her students to order the book if they prefer reading paper. “It’s enough of a benefit that it’s worth the paper and ink and the cost of the book,” she said.

https://hechingerreport.org/evidence-increases-for-reading-on-paper-instead-of-screens/

Back to top Go down

Evidence increases for reading on paper instead of screens Empty Re: Evidence increases for reading on paper instead of screens

Post by Cass Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:01 am

I very much prefer print books but when I’m traveling my kindle is a godsend. I’d be poor from paying excess baggage for all my books.

Seriously though, different people have different ways of learning. Mr. C and senior lean toward oral learning and junior and I to vision. What works for one doesn’t work for others. As long as someone is learning I really don’t care what method they use.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Evidence increases for reading on paper instead of screens Empty Re: Evidence increases for reading on paper instead of screens

Post by Guest Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:02 am

Cass wrote:I very much prefer print books but when I’m traveling my kindle is a godsend. I’d be poor from paying excess baggage for all my books.

Seriously though, different people have different ways of learning. Mr. C and senior lean toward oral learning and junior and I to vision. What works for one doesn’t work for others. As long as someone is learning I really don’t care what method they use.

I tend to agree with the studies on this, but like you say its more like how well inividually it is for each person.

There could be some merit though with younger children learning more from reading books

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:45 pm

phildidge wrote:
Cass wrote:I very much prefer print books but when I’m traveling my kindle is a godsend. I’d be poor from paying excess baggage for all my books.

I tend to agree with the studies on this, but like you say its more like how well inividually it is for each person.

There could be some merit though with younger children learning more from reading books

I agree but during my summer reading program I don’t force or make kids read just books. They can read comics, listen to audio books, watch you tube, read on a tablet. It’s about getting them reading. Yes printed materials are still very much a part of learning for educational and recreational purposes and teachers these days just don’t have the time and resources to help every child find their best way of learning so that’s why home encouragement and libraries are so damn important.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:11 pm

I've always gravitated toward books, meself.  But two days ago my monitor went out and I was forced to get another on the fly.

I got a big screen monitor and now it has fixed all that ails me.  Granted it was much more than I wanted or needed, but it was on sale and the other one wasn't. But, I can now read everything, even with me failing eyesight.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down