NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Record number of British people say they have no religion

+2
eddie
Syl
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Record number of British people say they have no religion - Page 2 Empty Record number of British people say they have no religion

Post by Guest Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:49 am

First topic message reminder :

The number of Britons who say they have no religion has hit a record high, new data has revealed.
More than half of the British public (53 per cent) say they are not at all religious – a figure that has increased by five percentage points since 2015 and by 19 percentage points since 1983, when just three in 10 people deemed themselves non-religious. The news has prompted fresh calls for the Government to cut the amount of public money going to the church and reduce its influence in society. The decline in religious affiliation is hitting the Church of England particularly hard, with the number of people considering themselves Anglican having halved since 2000 – at just 15 per cent. Young people were particularly underrepresented, with just 3 per cent of those aged 18-24 describing themselves as Anglican, compared with 40 per cent of those aged 75 and over.

Continue reading by clicking the name of the source below.

SOURCE THE INDEPENDENT

Back to top Go down

Record number of British people say they have no religion - Page 2 Empty Re: Record number of British people say they have no religion

Post by Guest Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:05 am

veya_victaous wrote:Science is faith based too, Unless everyone is going to go through every experiment and prove for themselves every law and Theory it is reliant on faith in the work already done.

Let alone cutting edge science, where new knowledge is created, that is almost entirely faith based, it requires unsupported beliefs in a hypothesis. if you don't have that first step then the resources required to build a supported hypothesis would never be invested.

it is really pathetic to see some pseudo intellectuals try and claim it is not systematic faith.  I think this comes down to their 'primitive' intellect preventing them from understanding self held hypothesis which are part of the broader scientific system. Beliefs are only unquestionable in the primitive, the more advanced minds can understand 'belief by degrees', much like sciences system of Laws, Theories and Hypothesis. A belief doesn't have to be 100% certain, you can believe something is Definite, plausible, possible or probable additionally belief can be held in the negative, that something is implausible, Impossible or improbable.

PMSL, so you believe the earth is flat then?

So all are scientists and inventors work based on faith.

Including medicines are all based on faith apparently.

One moment

Record number of British people say they have no religion - Page 2 3489511464

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/victor-stenger/science-is-not-based-on-f_b_676016.html

Back to top Go down

Record number of British people say they have no religion - Page 2 Empty Re: Record number of British people say they have no religion

Post by Syl Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:20 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:
I would tackle poverty by controlling the birth rate and clamping down on world greed...the latter being employed by the haves not the have nots.

Alas...I am not in the position to do either, and neither are you.
Mother Teresa did do a lot to help the unfortunates in this world....more than you or I ever did.

Have to go. night night.

Hilarious

Your first point went against everything Mother Teresa did

Your next points conflict with her beliefs

How to show up someone utterly stupid that backs religious idiocy

Please continue to venerate someone that caused the deaths of Tens thousands you idiot

Night dummy

Once more resorting to name calling, when its YOU who cant read other peoples posts....you just keep repeating the same thing like your bloody needle is stuck.Rolling Eyes

Had you even bothered to read that I wrote (more than once) I did not agree with her views on birth control, I never said I agreed with her political views either, I said she did a lot of good in her life, which she did.

Maybe if you stop avidly believing everything Christopher Hitchens says about her, which is obviously fuelled by his deep hatred of the Catholic church, you may get a more balanced view.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:16 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Hilarious

Your first point went against everything Mother Teresa did

Your next points conflict with her beliefs

How to show up someone utterly stupid that backs religious idiocy

Please continue to venerate someone that caused the deaths of Tens thousands you idiot

Night dummy

Once more resorting to name calling, when its YOU who cant read other peoples posts....you just keep repeating the same thing like your bloody needle is stuck.Rolling Eyes

Had you even bothered to read that I wrote (more than once) I did not agree with her views on birth control, I never said I agreed with her political views either, I said she did a lot of good in her life, which she did.

Maybe if you stop avidly believing everything Christopher Hitchens says about her, which is obviously fuelled by his deep hatred of the Catholic church, you may get a more balanced view.

Yes i am aware I rightly called you stupid, as you are being stupid defending the indefensible, not having the first clue about the vile woman. Where even now you are in denial. The places she ran were in appalling conditions. She did fuck all good, all she did was to further the Catholic Church with more Catholics, her goal. She watched countless suffer without giving them pain killers. So please spare the crap on her doing any good. She baptized people on their death beds against their wishes. She funneled millions into the Catholic church. So yes you do deserve everything said to you. Thousands suffered in her care.

Then you end with even more stupidity, as anyone with a half a brain would rightly be critical of the Catholic Church. Which was complicit with the Holocaust, has hid countless pedophiles within its system, the Inquisition, to name just some of countless wrongs done by the Catholic church. 

Being critical of something is not being hateful you Muppet. Even more ignorance of an understanding of Hitchins.

Try actually watching and educating yourself

Last edited by Thorin on Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:27 pm

Okay Didge you don't have to call people 'stupid' to get your point across..

As to Mother Teresa, I have heard similar things said actually, that you've outlined, and watched a youtube thingy about her. I am not sure whether she was quite as saintly as everyone made out.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:31 pm

eddie wrote:Okay Didge you don't have to call people 'stupid' to get your point across..

As to Mother Teresa, I have heard similar things said actually, that you've outlined, and watched a youtube thingy about her. I am not sure whether she was quite as saintly as everyone made out.

Yes I can, when she is being stupid

She only cared about furthering the Catholic Church and looked to maintain people in poverty, than get them out of poverty.

Have a watch.

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:53 pm

Vicar of Dibley (vod) wrote:
Thorin wrote:

You are religious Dibs, which is not an issue

I really have never understood how and why people try to distance themselves from being religious when they believe in a God, as that is what fundamentally a religion is.

You are a Christian, which as beliefs go, has one of the better teachers in Jesus.

Sadly most Christians follow more the teachings of Paul, who corrupted the teachings of Jesus.

Believe me I'm not religious I never do anything religiously lol!

I am a Christian that believes in once saved always saved and then i live my life as any normal person committing sins daily lol -

That's the difference with being religious and being saved by grace - religious people are always trying to be perfect I'm not trying to do anything I just get on with life and have no church commitments now I just take every day as it comes good or bad -especially...
Record number of British people say they have no religion - Page 2 371740092
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:34 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Yes i am aware I rightly called you stupid, as you are being stupid defending the indefensible, not having the first clue about the vile woman. Where even now you are in denial. The places she ran were in appalling conditions. She did fuck all good, all she did was to further the Catholic Church with more Catholics, her goal. She watched countless suffer without giving them pain killers. So please spare the crap on her doing any good. She baptized people on their death beds against their wishes. She funneled millions into the Catholic church. So yes you do deserve everything said to you. Thousands suffered in her care.

Then you end with even more stupidity, as anyone with a half a brain would rightly be critical of the Catholic Church. Which was complicit with the Holocaust, has hid countless pedophiles within its system, the Inquisition, to name just some of countless wrongs done by the Catholic church. 

Being critical of something is not being hateful you Muppet. Even more ignorance of an understanding of Hitchins.

I have watched the video. did you read the wiki link I posted, which is a lot fairer minded and doesn't concentrate solely on the things you are fixated on?

You are certainly heavily influenced by Christopher Hitchins, cant you think for yourself?
So far you have posted 3 of his videos and one which relies heavily on his opinions.....and you accuse others of being 'brain washed'.Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:42 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:

I have watched the video. did you read the wiki link I posted, which is a lot fairer minded and doesn't concentrate solely on the things you are fixated on?

You are certainly heavily influenced by Christopher Hitchins, cant you think for yourself?
So far you have posted 3 of his videos and one which relies heavily on his opinions.....and you accuse others of being 'brain washed'.Rolling Eyes  

I can think for myself as I look at the evidence.
The worst part about this, is she was not doing this to help the poor, but to gain converts, that it was self motivated for the Catholic cause. You have offered nothing to refute my evidence and clearly have no idea of the history of the Catholic Church. I being raised a Catholic have more a clue on this, than clearly you will ever learn to grasp. She could have done so much for the poor, but ensured they remained in poverty and countless people suffered in her dying homes, without pain relief. May I suggest you study the mindset of Catholicism, before you engage in what i can only describe as pure drivel from you on this

The reality is you want to perpetually bury your head in the sand. The fact that she claimed the biggest problems in the world is abortion, showed how out of touch with reality she was.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:29 pm

You are right, I'm not Catholic, or religious....but I do read various sources before I draw an opinion.
Your last video recognises that she did certainly help others....and it was about as anti Mother Teresa as you could get....and also heavily influenced by Hitchens, who seemed to always be on her case, when he wasn't spouting hatred against the Catholic church in general.

Like everything, there are always two sides to every story.

That's all from me...maybe people who are Catholic have a more concise view in this thread.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:40 pm

Syl wrote:You are right, I'm not Catholic, or religious....but I do read various sources before I draw an opinion.
Your last video recognises that she did certainly help others....and it was about as anti Mother Teresa as you could get....and also heavily influenced by Hitchens, who seemed to always be on her case, when he wasn't spouting hatred against the Catholic church in general.

Like everything, there are always two sides to every story.

That's all from me...maybe people who are Catholic have a more concise view in this thread.

You really need to get to grips, that rightful criticism is not hate. To conflate it, is what causes groups like the Arab league, who are pushing for the UN to criminalize any criticism of Islam. To allow such a precedent would offer protection for any ideological belief. There maybe two sides to a story, but when a person is motivated for the cause of her church over that of the poor. Then it ceases to be helping the poor and only the Catholic Church's image and to gain more followers. So her deeds were not selfless, but had a poor ulterior motive.

People have a right to be critical of the Catholic Church. That is not hate, but bringing them to task for the wrongs that has been done in its name. Of which the Church has of late continually apologized for. To conflate this with hate, sadly ends up demonizing those who seek to make people aware of those wrongs. Hitchins was not a hateful man. Far from it, he was a man of reason.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2