NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossing the Bridge; Animal-to-Mankind "zoonotic" or "zoonoses" diseases

5 posters

Go down

Crossing the Bridge; Animal-to-Mankind "zoonotic" or "zoonoses" diseases  Empty Crossing the Bridge; Animal-to-Mankind "zoonotic" or "zoonoses" diseases

Post by Guest Sat May 21, 2016 1:52 pm

Science
May 21 2016, 12:12 am ET
UN: Growing Environmental Threat From Animal-to-Man Diseases
by Associated Press
The most worrying environmental threats facing the world today range from the rise in diseases transmitted from animals to humans to the increasing accumulation of toxic chemicals in food crops as a result of drought and high temperatures, according to a U.N. report released Friday.

The U.N. Environment Agency's Frontiers report also highlighted the threat to human health posed by the alarming amount of plastic waste in the oceans, and scientific evidence suggesting that losses and damage from climate change are inevitable, with "profound consequences" for ecosystems, people, assets and economies. Crossing the Bridge; Animal-to-Mankind "zoonotic" or "zoonoses" diseases  150422-india-bird-flu-chickens-230p_afb47ce0269a43d6badd6be3360a025a.nbcnews-ux-320-320Indian health workers wring the necks of chickens during a culling operation in Thoroor village, where five chicks were found to be infected with H5N1 avian influenza. NOAH SEELAM / AFP - Getty Images                     

The report emphasizes "the critical relationship between a healthy environment and healthy people," and stresses the importance of combating global warming by moving to a low-carbon future.
According to the report, the 20th century saw dramatic reductions in ecosystems and biodiversity — and equally dramatic increases in the numbers of people and domestic animals inhabiting the Earth.
This increased the opportunity for viruses, bacteria and other pathogenic agents to pass from wild and domestic animals through the environment to cause diseases in people, the report said.
These diseases — called "zoonotic" or "zoonoses" diseases — include Ebola, bird flu, Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS), sudden acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), Rift Valley fever, West Nile virus and Zika virus, it said.

In the last two decades these emerging diseases have had direct costs of more than $100 billion, the report said, and "if these outbreaks had become human pandemics, the losses would have amounted to several trillion dollars."
According to the report, "around 60 percent of all infectious diseases in humans are zoonotic as are 75 percent of all emerging infectious diseases." And "on average, one new infectious disease emerges in humans every four months," it said.
While many zoonotic diseases originate in wildlife, livestock often serve as a bridge, the report said, citing the case of bird flu which first circulated in wild birds, then infected domestic poultry which in turn passed the virus to humans.
As for toxic chemicals in crops, normally plants convert nitrate into amino acids and protein but drought slows the conversion causing nitrates to accumulate and become toxic to animals, the report said.
Worldwide, over 80 plant species are known to cause poisoning from accumulation of nitrates and wheat, barley, maize, millet, sorghum and soybeans are among the crops most susceptible, it said.

"Acute nitrate poisoning in animals can lead to miscarriage, asphyxiation and death," the report said, and it can ruin the livelihoods of small farmers and herders.
Another toxin associated with climate change is hydrogen cyanide or prussic acid that can accumulate in plants such as cassava, flax, maize and sorghum, it said.
Mycotoxins, which are chemical by-products of the growth of mushrooms and other fungi, "can cause severe damage to the health of animals and humans, even at small concentration," the report said. And "mycotoxin-producing fungi infect many crops such as coffee, groundnut, maize, oilseeds, peanut, sorghum, tree nuts and wheat."
Aflatoxins, which are fungal toxins that can cause cancer and stunt fetal growth, are another emerging problem in crops, the report said.
http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/un-growing-environmental-threat-animal-man-diseases-n577921
Bio-Sciences ...anyone have teenagers/college aged grandchildren looking for a career choice; here you go! 

These are the jobs that are 'forever - hire on and retire from' if they so desire.  Some bio-sciences have travel opportunities for field studies and as much and rapidly as the insect world is out to 'KILL' us off this is going to be a very job secure place to stay employed.

Back to top Go down

Crossing the Bridge; Animal-to-Mankind "zoonotic" or "zoonoses" diseases  Empty Re: Crossing the Bridge; Animal-to-Mankind "zoonotic" or "zoonoses" diseases

Post by Syl Sat May 21, 2016 2:17 pm

I will let my GS know...he is just completing his first year studying medical science at uni......he loves it.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Crossing the Bridge; Animal-to-Mankind "zoonotic" or "zoonoses" diseases  Empty Re: Crossing the Bridge; Animal-to-Mankind "zoonotic" or "zoonoses" diseases

Post by Guest Sat May 21, 2016 2:36 pm

Syl wrote:I will let my GS know...he is just completing his first year studying medical science at uni......he loves it.

I'd imagine that there are big corporations offering excellent GRANT money and jobs and often they help pay for college with a signed contract that the student will maintain a certain GPA and work for them for X amount of years. 

I've got 2 great nephews & 1 great niece ...working on native reservations that have just completed their {2 Veterinary Medicine and 1 General Medical Practitioner} college degrees working/study through this method. 

Saved them all a huge load of tuition debt, as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat May 21, 2016 3:17 pm

Are there any diseases man can give to Animals?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat May 21, 2016 3:52 pm

nicko wrote:Are there any diseases man can give to Animals?

That's a very interesting question...off to google.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat May 21, 2016 3:55 pm

4EVER2 wrote:
Syl wrote:I will let my GS know...he is just completing his first year studying medical science at uni......he loves it.

I'd imagine that there are big corporations offering excellent GRANT money and jobs and often they help pay for college with a signed contract that the student will maintain a certain GPA and work for them for X amount of years. 

I've got 2 great nephews & 1 great niece ...working on native reservations that have just completed their {2 Veterinary Medicine and 1 General Medical Practitioner} college degrees working/study through this method. 

Saved them all a huge load of tuition debt, as well.
Good for your great nephews and niece ...it sounds like a good way to study.
As far as I know no such luck here...gs would already be in a huge amount of debt if family didn't or couldn't help out.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 21, 2016 4:39 pm

Oh, dear Nicko; the things I've had to do for the safety and well being of those unfortunate animals we've forcibly removed from hoarder homes/pervert palaces and just real SICK F'd up human dwellings ...would give you such nightmares!

But to answer you without all the needless graphic finite details - 'YES' there are and they're generally STD's!
Groups like the Humane Society of the United States point to studies that show a high correlation between the sexual abuse of animals and sexual abuse of children. One study linked to the Humane Society's web page found 96 percent of juveniles who sexually abused animals admit to sex offenses against humans.
http://wtvr.com/2013/12/03/teen-caught-having-sex-with-dog/ 

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat May 21, 2016 5:09 pm

nicko wrote:
Are there any diseases man can give to Animals?

Idea

OF COURSE there is, nicko...

IT'S a "two way street.."..

If you can contract a disease from an animal, than that animal can invariably pick up something from you, in return.

Tuberculosis, rabies, lyssavirus, psittacosis, leptospirosis, bird flu..
Worms, hydatids, flukes; certain mites, lice, ticks... tongue

(AND NO, I don't need to Google! this kind of stuff, folks -- it's the kind of thing (Animal Health - Physiology (epidemiology)) that I studied at uni', a couple of lifetimes ago..).

AND, let's not forget that a lot of children harbour more pests and diseases than your average pet dog and cat ! (And why a family should consider worming cats, dogs and humans within the family at the same time -- else the pets and children keep on cross-infesting one another !).

AND, has everyone noticed, that the people in your social circle who often seem sick most regularly, are those with young children..

study
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 21, 2016 6:17 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Idea

OF COURSE there is,  nicko...
IT'S  a "two way street.."..
If you can contract a disease from an animal, than that animal can invariably pick up something from you, in return.
Tuberculosis, rabies, lyssavirus, psittacosis, leptospirosis, bird flu..
Worms, hydatids, flukes; certain mites, lice, ticks...          tongue
(AND NO,  I don't need to Google! this kind of stuff, folks  -- it's the kind of thing (Animal Health - Physiology (epidemiology)) that I studied at uni', a couple of lifetimes ago..).
AND,  let's not forget that a lot of children harbour more pests and diseases than your average pet dog and cat ! (And why a family should consider worming cats, dogs and humans within the family at the same time -- else the pets and children keep on cross-infesting one another !).
AND, has everyone noticed, that the people in your social circle who often seem sick most regularly, are those with young children..

study
**SCORE** 
I'd quite forgotten about even the simplest thing like 'pen worms'; mom & granny used to do those late night butt-crack checks with their flashlights and then the next day we'd be getting our spoonful of some seriously 'NASTY' tasting something or other --- UGH
Then there was my rodeo pal; road on the back of my horse with me - went to every rodeo - team roping event I competed in - guarded my trailer & tack area and we kept sharing my tonsil trouble until the Vet told me to STOP SHARING my ice cream cone with Rudy! Shocked   Crossing the Bridge; Animal-to-Mankind "zoonotic" or "zoonoses" diseases  2190311264

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat May 21, 2016 9:45 pm

Have to admit that on occasion one or both of my cats will sleep with me, the young femail Mitzie loves to sleep with her head under my chin. Am i going to catch something?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat May 21, 2016 9:56 pm

yah mean apart from rabies scabies and sailors itch??? Nicko...

I wouldnt worry....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 21, 2016 9:58 pm

nicko wrote:Have to admit that on occasion one or both of my cats will sleep with me,  the young femail Mitzie loves to sleep with her head under my chin.   Am i going to catch something?

Depends on what she's getting into 'out there'; if you don't allow her to roam outside then there's a less chance of her bringing anything in and keeping their litter box - absolutely dry, helps keep bacteria off of their paws & claws. 

But for the most part; indoor cats aren't susceptible to feline aids/distemper/hook worms and loads of other blood borne carrying problems. 
But I will say; one elderly lady managed to contract a head lice/bacteria and lost all of her beautiful long locks and had to wear a wig or cap for nearly a year --- but she kept saying; 'but Max begs to go out and I can't keep him in'...and she allowed him to sleep on the pillow beside her!  For the record - that dam cat never lost any HAIR but he was sure a carrier!  Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 21, 2016 10:01 pm

I always thought it's cool how so many medications work on people and their pets. After my dad had surgery, he was put on Flomax to help him pee, then my dog had to go on it after getting kidney stones removed. Baby aspirin will protect your dog from blood clotting and sooth pain, and dyphenhydramine will help with allergies and induce drowsiness in people and dogs.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 21, 2016 10:08 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:I always thought it's cool how so many medications work on people and their pets. After my dad had surgery, he was put on Flomax to help him pee, then my dog had to go on it after getting kidney stones removed. Baby aspirin will protect your dog from blood clotting and sooth pain, and dyphenhydramine will help with allergies and induce drowsiness in people and dogs.

Pssssst, it's because the Big Pharma does all their clinical testing on those canines and then they farm it out to the Vet hospitals & Vet colleges around the USA for more trails before the FDA allows it to be tested on humans. 

My grandpa & pops used to keep liquid penicillin an other vaccinations in the refrigerator and if any of us kids were 'THAT' sick --- they'd be giving us a shot long before we ever got to see any doctor! What was good for the cow/horse/goat was good enough for the farm family --- but they did use much small needles affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat May 21, 2016 10:10 pm

hmmmmm......
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 21, 2016 11:57 pm

Lord Foul wrote:hmmmmm......

Crossing the Bridge; Animal-to-Mankind "zoonotic" or "zoonoses" diseases  2190311264  What, would you like me to tell you about the time Grandpa unwound a piece of barbed wire {yes, the metal barbed wire} and sutured up a prolapsed uterus on one of our milk cows so we didn't lose her calf - while my brother and I held her head the best we could!
When mom & dad sutured up my brothers leg after he put a hatchet into his calf muscle when we were chopping wood ...that was especially hard to watch but he passed out after screaming just for a little bit. 
Living in rural America - 60+ miles from the nearest town - you don't run into see the doctor for every little bloody issue.

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun May 22, 2016 7:12 am

nicko wrote:
Have to admit that on occasion one or both of my cats will sleep with me,  the young femail Mitzie loves to sleep with her head under my chin.   Am i going to catch something?

I WOULDN'T worry about it...

EVEN WHEN there are various parasites and germs that may infest your pets, I reckon if people exposed to the likes of dogs, cats, horses and/or poultry, and wider manageries, have made it well into adulthood without any problems, you must be doing something right; (or maybe, avoiding enough of the 'wrong' things ?).

THOSE people who over-sterilise their environments, don't allow children to play outside or have/touch pets, don't believe in vaccinations -- or alternatively those who misuse/abuse antibiotics and medicines, and otherwise disconnect/distance themselves from the natural world,  are a lot more likely to develop health problems in the future --  as a result of their cottonwool/ germaphobic/ cacooning behaviour;  than most of us who lead more normal, natural and less stressful existences.

cat           Crossing the Bridge; Animal-to-Mankind "zoonotic" or "zoonoses" diseases  1763903427             pig             monkey
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down