NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British hatred of the word "soccer" (is this why?)

+6
Cass
Raggamuffin
nicko
Frazzled
eddie
Ben Reilly
10 posters

NewsFix :: Sport :: Sport

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

British hatred of the word "soccer" (is this why?) - Page 2 Empty British hatred of the word "soccer" (is this why?)

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:53 am

First topic message reminder :

In my reading tonight I delved into my favorite sport, soccer (which people always say "the entire rest of the world" (I guess that excludes places like Canada, Italy and New Zealand) refers to as "football")) and got into researching why so many British people not only insist on the word "football" for it but get positively venomous about the fact that we in the U.S. call it soccer. For some, it seems to be an inordinately emotional topic ...

First of all, the entire world does not call it "football." Discounting the 300 million people in the United States who apparently don't count, not even the entire English-speaking world calls it "football," and Italians have called the sport "calcio" without getting crucified for it for a long, long time. And in the Spanish-speaking world it's "futbol," which is not actually a translation of "football" but more of an approximation of the pronunciation -- the Spanish word for "foot" being "pie."

But I came across an interesting Reddit post by a Briton which said that the real reason the British hate the word "soccer" is because it was used, derisively, to refer to Association Football by the British upper class well into the 1970s. Thus, it's a reminder of a more classist era of Britain and seen as a slight from rich snobs on a working-class game (never mind the fact it was codified by universities). Now that I could understand.

Is that the reason? Or is "soccer," as I've always suspected, seen as a distinctly American word (despite being coined in the UK) and thus subject to what Obama called the "reflexive anti-Americanism" that pervades Europe?

Hey, there are words I hate. I will never, ever be friends with someone who uses the word "chillax" non-derisively. But honestly, the vitriol I've seen from some British toward the fact that Americans call it "soccer" is without parallel and honestly seems quite petty.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

British hatred of the word "soccer" (is this why?) - Page 2 Empty Re: British hatred of the word "soccer" (is this why?)

Post by Original Quill Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:35 am

The NFL is an arrogant bunch of liars and crooks. Do you remember the old joke about teaching a new guy about cards, and then making up names for nonsensical hands...Oh, that's a floudgie, I win!.

Try this...the quarterback clearly fumbles the ball as the cornerback of the other team hits him. But the officials want the other team to win. Oh, they say, thats a 'tuck rule'...the guy was just trying to tuck the ball in his pants!

Oldest joke in the book. January 19, 2002, New England v. Oakland.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

British hatred of the word "soccer" (is this why?) - Page 2 Empty Re: British hatred of the word "soccer" (is this why?)

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:43 am

Don't get me started about fucking New England ... Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:46 am

Cowboys won tonight, btw.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:49 am

Original Quill wrote:Cowboys won tonight, btw.

Totally forgot they were playing Smile But good for them! Now let's just see if they can beat the Eagles and finagle a playoff spot somehow ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:06 am

Eagles...gonna be tough. And didn't they say that excellent Arizona quarterback--Nick Foles--would be back for the playoffs?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:56 am

Hold on to a monkey’s testicle! Holy hell! Whatever happened to the subject of this thread?

It does make me think of that well-known saying though...”Kick a satsuma for a minute and you will have a satsuma for life”

I think that’s says it all really.
You’re welcome.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:58 am

eddie wrote:Hold on to a monkey’s testicle! Holy hell! Whatever happened to the subject of this thread?

It does make me think of that well-known saying though...”Kick a satsuma for a minute and you will have a satsuma for life”

I think that’s says it all really.
You’re welcome.

Thank you for welcoming me for a thank you you never welcomed ... it makes me feel welcome to thank you at any time I'm welcome.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2