NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UPDATE: Malaysian P.M. says wreckage in satellite images was missing Malaysian flight

+6
eddie
gerber
Original Quill
veya_victaous
Lone Wolf
Ben Reilly
10 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

UPDATE: Malaysian P.M. says wreckage in satellite images was missing Malaysian flight Empty UPDATE: Malaysian P.M. says wreckage in satellite images was missing Malaysian flight

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:38 am

UPDATE: Malaysian P.M. says wreckage in satellite images was missing Malaysian flight 1975233_10152073367156359_329380471_n_1395319333749_3511498_ver1.0_640_480

In what officials called the "best lead" of the nearly two-week-old aviation mystery, a satellite detected two objects floating about 1,000 miles off the coast of Australia and halfway to the desolate islands of the Antarctic.
The development raised new hope of finding the vanished jet and sent another emotional jolt to the families of the 239 people aboard.

Sarah Bajc, whose boyfriend, American Philip Wood, was aboard the plane, is one of those anxiously awaiting news.

"I'm desperate to hear it is an airplane wing and there are survivors clinging to it, and one of them is Philip," she told CBS News by email. "I'm apprehensive it will be unrelated and the wait will just continue after many more hours of misery."

"I am prepared for dead bodies," she wrote, "but I am not prepared for never knowing."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/malaysia-airlines-flight-370-possible-debris-from-missing-plane-spotted/

UPDATE link: http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/24/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Last edited by Ben_Reilly on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

UPDATE: Malaysian P.M. says wreckage in satellite images was missing Malaysian flight Empty Re: UPDATE: Malaysian P.M. says wreckage in satellite images was missing Malaysian flight

Post by veya_victaous Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:30 am

no chance of survival on a plane wing out there, but it is very weird there is literally nothing out there, why would the plane taken over by terrorists or otherwise go there? even shipping generally avoids that patch of ocean as there is no need to cross it (ports are further north)
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

UPDATE: Malaysian P.M. says wreckage in satellite images was missing Malaysian flight Empty Re: UPDATE: Malaysian P.M. says wreckage in satellite images was missing Malaysian flight

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:18 am

I don't hold out hope for any survivors -- though I wouldn't totally rule it out with the story of the Mexican guy who survived for so long at sea.

Yeah, it bugs me too when the media acts like it didn't matter if Americans weren't affected. We saw a lot of that with the 2004 and 2011 tsunamis.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:35 pm

Is this not the subject of the next thread?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:45 pm

Well, to be fair, we don't read the Chinese Daily Mail or Malaysian Sun.

There will obviously be more "interest" over there, and more interest in our countries if more of our friends and family were involved. Don't be too harsh on the media.

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:07 pm

If the big boats are struggling with the seas surely it is highly unlikely that any wreakage would still be in big pieces let alone still floating and visible.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:39 pm

This is the region of the Indian Ocean known as the 'Roarin' 40s,' meaning latitudes in the 40s. The currents in the area move at a rate of one-mph, or 24-miles in a day. How many days has it been--12? 13? What's worse, the currents move one way, the winds the opposite. The net effect is wider dispersal of the wreckage, not to mention sinking of the same.

The waves are typically 25-foot high in the Roarin 40's, so there is a lot of havoc on the surface of the ocean.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:41 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:
gerber wrote:
If the big boats are struggling with the seas surely it is highly unlikely that any wreakage would still be in big pieces let alone still floating and visible.

confused 

STOP talking shite...

YOUR opinions are less than worthless when you have no idea of what you're yapping about..

You brainless mongrel.

Oh for goodness sake, leave her alone Bee, I am beginning to think you are sexist the way you attack women.

She has every right to her point of view and there was also nothing wrong with her point of view.

For goodness sake change the record

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:43 pm

Didge wrote:
Lone Wolf wrote:
 confused 

STOP talking shite...

YOUR opinions are less than worthless when you have no idea of what you're yapping about..

You brainless mongrel.

Oh for goodness sake, leave her alone Bee, I am beginning to think you are sexist the way you attack women.

She has every right to her point of view and there was also nothing wrong with her point of view.

For goodness sake change the record

Do you know what?

I laughed rather hard at Lone Wolf's post - it was so incredible and hard-hitting and at what appears (to me) to be a completely innocent poster.

I thought this earlier on - are we absolutely sure this is Beekeeper?

I really don't remember him being like this on Spekkensfrei.

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:07 pm

if my posts are so irrelevant why are they being commented on

::D:: 

For the record to assuage doubt I am a full blown pedigree....... ::cheerlead:: 
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:08 pm

gerber wrote:if my posts are so irrelevant why are they being commented on

Your post was fine Gerber, you made a very valid point.

Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:09 pm

You do miss a lot, andy. Lol.

I think gerber's ok, too. But I'm not going to meddle in other people's personal opinions. Let's get back to flight 370.

Last edited by Original Quill on Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:10 pm

Original Quill wrote:You do miss a lot, andy.  Lol.

I think gerber's ok, too.  But I'm not going to meddle in other people's personal opinions.

To be fair Quill, people should move on, so there is no real reason to continue abuse and getting to know each other works both ways, not just one way, she did not warrant that, it was poor and I have nothing against Bee either

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:11 pm

Didge wrote:
gerber wrote:if my posts are so irrelevant why are they being commented on

Smile 

I thank you for that. But i am not all perturbed by comments from a loner.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:12 pm

gerber wrote:
Didge wrote:

Smile 

I thank you for that.  But i am not all perturbed by comments from a loner.      

I sometimes get a boner when you post

lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:14 pm

Didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:You do miss a lot, andy.  Lol.

I think gerber's ok, too.  But I'm not going to meddle in other people's personal opinions.

To be fair Quill, people should move on, so there is no real reason to continue abuse and getting to know each other works both ways, not just one way, she did not warrant that, it was poor and I have nothing against Bee either

I know didge. Sometimes Bee is a little more rough than other times. Sometimes there is a reason for it.

There's always the PM.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:14 pm

Didge wrote:
gerber wrote:

I thank you for that.  But i am not all perturbed by comments from a loner.      

lol! 

You are sounding like Keith, but to take Quill's very valid point lets get back to the subject....... flower 
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:16 pm

gerber wrote:
Didge wrote:

lol! 

You are sounding like Keith, but to take Quill's very valid point  lets get back to the subject....... flower 

I miss keith to be honest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:18 pm

Your point was extremely valid Gerbs and one that the authorities are making.    They are saying that the debris that was seen will have moved a long way and will probably have sunk by now.   The black box only has 16 days of battery left (although that is minimum, it could last a few days more).   How they are going to find it I have no idea.

Last edited by Sassy on Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:18 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:

I know didge.  Sometimes Bee is a little more rough than other times.  Sometimes there is a reason for it.

There's always the PM.

Not sure David Cameron would make a good mediator in this case.

lol! 

Okay back to the debate, I am getting very silly now

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:19 pm

And put your clothes back on, dammit. Lol

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:11 pm

The Chinese government has said it has located a large object in the sea after viewing satellite imagery.

During a news conference in Kualu Lumpur on Saturday, Malaysian Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein was handed a piece of paper containing details of the apparent discovery.

The object is thought to be 42ft long (13m) and 74ft wide (22.5m) and was spotted somewhere in the southern search corridor in the Indian Ocean.

China said the object was captured by its high-definition earth observation satellite "Gaofen-1", and ships have been dispatched to the area.

The search operation of the ocean south west of Perth in western Australia involving six aircraft on Saturday failed to locate any sign of debris spotted by a satellite last week.

And bad weather could affect the operation after a cyclone warning was declared for Tropical Cyclone Gillian, which is forecast to move into the southern search corridor

http://news.sky.com/story/1230164/missing-plane-china-spots-large-object-in-sea

Images on Link

India has said it has no sign of missing plane crossing its airspace after examining radar records.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:40 pm

That's the latest update, if you don't like it, stick it up your bum.   You have become a joke, and a very bad one, in extremely poor taste.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:33 pm

The spotted wreckage looks promising as a lead.  It is about 75-feet by some 42-feet, as I recall.  But the sighting is still approximately 4-days old.  How far has it moved in that time.

This is one of the largest oceans in the world.  How many containers have fallen off container ships and been left to go it's own way.

Nevertheless, size in this case distinguishes this sighting.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:48 pm

No actually, its a new one that Malaysia was told about today, spotted two days after the previous ones that they couldn't find, but they have been trying verify the pictures:

China said the object was captured by its high-definition earth observation satellite, Gaofen-1, and ships have been dispatched to the area.

The image was taken on March 18, two days after an Australian satellite located objects in the water. The China image shows the object is around 75 miles south of where Australia pinpointed two objects.

The Chinese location is just to the south of the patch of ocean being combed south and west of Australia.

Unfortunately there is a cyclone warning out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:56 pm

The report is 4-days old. The photo was snapped by the Chinese, I believe, on March 18th. It is new to the humans who are having to look over every stitch of evidence by hand.

I certainly wish this were being handled by Americans. Things would be happening with a degree of dispatch, we haven't seen here.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:59 pm

They were given it at the beginning of the 21st and it was taken at the end of the 18th.

26 countries are involved. All of them using the highest tech possible. Don't start the american clap trap, it couldn't be handled any faster because of the size of the area.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Twenty-six countries are now involved in the search for missing flight MH370, which extends over an area of 2.97 million sq miles or 7.68 million sq km.

The search operation, which began after the plane disappeared on 8 March, is being co-ordinated by the Malaysian authorities, who are also liaising with the FBI, Interpol and other international law enforcement agencies.

Some 26 countries have joined the search and, as of 20 March, 29 aircraft, 18 ships, and six ship-borne helicopters were in action.

The southern search has been divided into seven areas, each measuring 400 nautical miles by 400 nautical miles - or 160,000 sq nautical miles in total.

Some of the countries taking part in the south include Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand, China, the US, South Korea, Japan, the UAE and the UK.

Countries along the northern arc have also been contacted by Malaysian authorities for assistance and many, including China, have committed resources.

However, as of 20 March, just four aircraft were taking part in the search along the northern search arc. All ships were helping in the hunt to the south.

Meanwhile, British company Inmarsat collated the data which showed the plane had continued flying long after its communication systems were turned off. Two scientists from the company have been sent to Kuala Lumpur to help with the search.

Members of China's Civil Aviation Administration have joined the investigations team, as have officials from the France's Office of Investigations and Analysis for the Safety of Civil Aviation. The French are hoping to lend expertise from the two-year search for an Air France jet that crashed into the Atlantic Ocean in 2009.
line break
What key equipment is being used?

Aircraft, ships and satellites from across the world are being used as part of the mission to track down flight MH370.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26514556

I suggest you go and see a psychiatrist Bee, you are becoming more and more deranged.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:33 pm

Sassy wrote:They were given it at the beginning of the 21st and it was taken at the end of the 18th.  

26 countries are involved.   All of them using the highest tech possible.   Don't start the american clap trap, it couldn't be handled any faster because of the size of the area.  

Yes, it took from the 18th to the 21st to accomplish the simple task of faxing a photo to Malaysia!  That's three days, and then an extra day in the debriefing room.  All this, while the debris is floating hundreds of miles over an angry sea.  These guys have difficulty cooperating with one another, doesn't it seem?

That wouldn't happen in America.  Just because you hate America is no reason to knock America's capabilities and efficiency, sassy.  We get things done.

The Chinese and Malaysians distrust each other so much they won't even share satellite data for three days.  And this is a humanitarian mission, not wartime.  That photo would have been rolling out of the cockpit fax machine of the American P-8's within 2-minutes, not four days.

Last edited by Original Quill on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:37 pm

You stupid man. Once they had taken the satellite photo it had to go through lots of verification processes to make sure that it could be a piece of the plane, otherwise they would be sending them on all kinds of wild goose chases after thousands of bits of debris. FGS!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:43 pm

Sassy wrote:You stupid man. Once they had taken the satellite photo it had to go through lots of verification processes to make sure that it could be a piece of the plane, otherwise they would be sending them on all kinds of wild goose chases after thousands of bits of debris. FGS!

One thing we can verify for a fact is that the debris floated randomly over a thousand miles while those cretins were withholding satellite photos from one another.

Now Americans are sensible enough to figure out that time is of essence. That photo, verified on no, would have been in the cockpits of American P-8's within 2-minutes.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:49 pm

Blah blah blah.  Would be if you were in charge and you'd send them after every bit of flotsam and jetsum in an area bigger than Australia and they would never find anything.

This from a man who can't even apologise for telling lies about a friend and runs away like a coward.   That's what you are good at Quill, as an American.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:03 pm

Much as you hate America, Sassy...your prejudices are misplaced here. This is a humanitarian mission, inappropriate for your bitterness and bile. You needn't share your rancor around every corner, and at every opportunity...for one thing, it gets old.

And "Blah blah blah" is an apt description for what the Chinese and Malaysians are doing to each other.

Perhaps is time for the more temperate and civilized nations to leave the others out of the process, and concentrate on getting things done. If they don't care about their own nationals, nevertheless we care about ours.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:10 pm

The thing that is misplaced is your boasting about 'what America would do' etc, when they are one of the 26 countries involved and have been all along.

This is an impossible task over a huge area and all the countries are helping each other, it is a international search, as the post said:

Some of the countries taking part in the south include Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand, China, the US, South Korea, Japan, the UAE and the UK.

And your last sentence was disgusting. But then, you have proved yourself to be no gentleman.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:20 pm

You're losing it sassy. When you get in these moods, I get bored.

Have a good night.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:38 pm

The only thing people are doing is laughing at you Bee, with your demented rantings, as all my information has been posted from the BBC and Sky, so obviously not 'made up'. You're like a wind up toy, only unfortunately you think you are human. Where's your nearest psychiatrist, because you really need one quickly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:41 pm

Original Quill wrote:You're losing it sassy.  When you get in these moods, I get bored.

Have a good night.

That's your trouble, cut and run. I'm not in any mood, you were the one doing the boasting about what America would do, which as they are involved and have been for some time, is patently ludicrous.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:53 pm

What is the bloody problem here?
Isn't sassy posting from news articles?

If any of to you think they're wrong why don't you contact Sky or the BBC and take it up with them?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:03 pm

eddie wrote:What is the bloody problem here?

If any of to you think they're wrong why don't you contact Sky or the BBC and take it up with them?

Bee's just being a fuckwit basically Eddie, but then when he says Gerbs is a stoner or something you know he has completely lost the plot and he didn't have much of one to start with.  Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:08 pm

Sassy wrote:
eddie wrote:What is the bloody problem here?

Bee's just being a fuckwit basically Eddie, but then when he says Gerbs is a stoner or something you know he has completely lost the plot and he didn't have much of one to start with.  Rolling Eyes 

Gerbs is a she for a start lol and a stoner?  Rolling Eyes 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:45 am

Original Quill wrote:
Sassy wrote:You stupid man. Once they had taken the satellite photo it had to go through lots of verification processes to make sure that it could be a piece of the plane, otherwise they would be sending them on all kinds of wild goose chases after thousands of bits of debris. FGS!

One thing we can verify for a fact is that the debris floated randomly over a thousand miles while those cretins were withholding satellite photos from one another.

Now Americans are sensible enough to figure out that time is of essence.  That photo, verified on no, would have been in the cockpits of American P-8's within 2-minutes.

If you think that then you have absolutely no idea what a painstaking process it is to search through thousands of frames of images picked up by a satellite.

It takes a lot of time and effort to go through all the data just looking for one frame that may produce something that could ever be considered as credible evidence.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:06 am

This was what Digital Globe published when the first lot of debris in that area was found.

DigitalGlobe today confirmed that it provided the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) with the satellite images that appear to show debris that may be related to Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, which has been missing for 12 days and counting. The satellite images were captured on March 16 by our WorldView-2 satellite at a resolution of approximately 50 cm. Working with our customers, DigitalGlobe continues to task our satellites to collect imagery of a wide area that includes the waters around where the possible debris was identified yesterday.

Given the extraordinary size of the current search area, the lengthy duration of the analysis effort was to be expected. Our constellation of five high-resolution imaging satellites captures more than 3 million square kilometers of earth imagery each day, and this volume of imagery is far too vast to search through in real time without an idea of where to look. We have been applying our satellite resources over a broader area than the official search area, while only focusing the efforts of our Tomnod crowdsourcing volunteers on the search areas identified by authorities. The efforts of millions of online volunteers around the world allowed us to rule out broad swaths of ocean with some certainty.

In the meantime, other customers including the U.S. government and other governments have been receiving our imagery for their own search efforts. Based on our understanding, the search area expanded to the southern Indian Ocean region and waters near Australia only in the last few days, at which time the Australian government started combing through imagery of this extremely large area.

No conclusions have been reached about the origins of the debris or objects shown in the imagery, and we are not aware that any subsequent search missions have been able to locate it. But the experience again demonstrates the unparalleled geographic reach and persistence that satellite imagery provides for critical government missions and emergency response situations.

Our thoughts go out to the families and communities of those affected by this tragic situation, and DigitalGlobe will continue our support of this recovery effort in accordance with our purpose of Seeing a Better World™.

http://www.digitalglobeblog.com/

Digital Globe Inc, Colorado, USA supplied the images to the Australian's and the US government.

I expect the Chinese had the same amount of information to filter.

Last edited by Sassy on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next