NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prison officers lucky to be alive after terror attack at high-security jail, officials say

+3
nicko
Original Quill
Tommy Monk
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Prison officers lucky to be alive after terror attack at high-security jail, officials say - Page 2 Empty Prison officers lucky to be alive after terror attack at high-security jail, officials say

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

Prison officers were lucky to escape with their lives during a suspected terror attack in a high-security prison, officials have said.

Five members of staff at HMP Whitemoor were stabbed by two inmates who were wearing fake suicide vests on Thursday morning.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/prison-officer-hmp-whitemoor-prison-suicide-terror-brusthom-ziamani-a9278076.html

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Prison officers lucky to be alive after terror attack at high-security jail, officials say - Page 2 Empty Re: Prison officers lucky to be alive after terror attack at high-security jail, officials say

Post by Original Quill Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:03 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

Nobody was killed... So it just shows how much you really look at the facts...

That just shows you how irrelevant the issue of the stabbing was. We weren't even arguing the stabbing...that's a given. I was debating whether it's terrorism. Here, again, is my early exception:

Original Quill wrote:Lot's of people have been stabbed, going back to the beginning. Yet 'terrorism' is a relatively recent term. Are we just heaping on charges, thus watering down the allegation? Or, do we want to reserve it for situations in which the terrorism is real.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Prison officers lucky to be alive after terror attack at high-security jail, officials say - Page 2 Empty Re: Prison officers lucky to be alive after terror attack at high-security jail, officials say

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:19 pm

The authorities are treating it as terrorism...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:39 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

The authorities are treating it as terrorism...

...and without evidence.

If we are going to move forward without evidence, the defense could argue it was an alien invasion. To say it is terrorism, without evidence, is ridiculous. Rolling Eyes

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:55 pm

Not without evidence... They will have to have evidence to prove it when it is all facing judiciary...

There may not be any detail of the evidence in the newspaper article... But that doesn't mean there isn't any evidence...

Surely you must know that not all details are always printed in a newspaper article about any event...!?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:43 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Not without evidence... They will have to have evidence to prove it when it is all facing judiciary...

There may not be any detail of the evidence in the newspaper article... But that doesn't mean there isn't any evidence...

Well, what does mean the evidence exists?  The clear implication of not talking about evidence, is to suggest you have no evidence.

Law is based on positivism: there must be positive evidence leading to a conclusion about facts...in this case, motive.  Terrorism is not a charge you want to treat lightly.  What predicate facts give rise to the allegation of terrorism, in this instance?  To go back to his initial charge is to confuse the two crimes, and commit the fallacy of association.

Tommy Monk wrote:Surely you must know that not all details are always printed in a newspaper article about any event...!?

Again, why treat a charge of terrorism so lightly?  What you are saying is, it's not important enough to even appear in the newspaper.  So, why bother with it?  Certainly, attempted murder will suffice.  If there is no evidence of terrorism, drop it.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:38 pm

The authorities have all the details... And are treating this as terrorism...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:50 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

Nobody was killed... So it just shows how much you really look at the facts...

Dude, you changed the subject.  My subject was the absence of evidence of terrorism.  Here's my original point:

Original Quill wrote:Lot's of people have been stabbed, going back to the beginning. Yet 'terrorism' is a relatively recent term. Are we just heaping on charges, thus watering down the allegation? Or, do we want to reserve it for situations in which the terrorism is real.

You misread my point, and went off on the stabbing itself.  I don't give a shit whether he is dead or alive.  It's a red herring.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:37 pm

The authorities are treating it as terrorism so obviously there must be evidence that supports this...

The newspaper article might not supply the details... But that doesn't mean that the details don't exist...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:49 am

Tommy Monk wrote:

The authorities are treating it as terrorism so obviously there must be evidence that supports this...

The newspaper article might not supply the details... But that doesn't mean that the details don't exist...

The Germans said the same thing about the Jews: We can't tell you, but there is evidence. Rolling Eyes

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:52 pm

Don't be a twat quill...

One is already in prison for terrorism... The other is a Muslim convert already in prison for other offences...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:55 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

Don't be a twat quill...

One is already in prison for terrorism... The other is a Muslim convert already in prison for other offences.

So? The most you can say is, he likes extreme measures. He might even have learned to be so ruthless in one of those camps.

But I think they'll find he did it because one of the guards was on the take, and double-crossed him. Maybe he was paying the guard for drugs or alcohol, and the guy didn't come through. Something much simpler than terrorism.

BTW...what kind of terror can you cause in prison, anyway? You're already caught. It was a simple heinous act, unlikely to convey much of a message. Use your head.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:58 pm

You are a terrorist appeaser...!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:29 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

You are a terrorist appeaser...!

...and you are a wrongful accuser. There is no evidence to substantiate your claim. You would be one of the accusers of Hester Prynne of being a witch.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:18 pm

All I did was post a thread about it... And I quoted the source news media article...

You are making too much out of it all...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:24 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

All I did was post a thread about it... And I quoted the source news media article...

You are making too much out of it all...

Well--and I thank you for starting the thread--all I'm doing is focusing in on one facet of the story.  The mere mention of terrorism (as the original crime) leaves the impression that terrorism was the crime in question. The headline itself calls it a terror attack, and in the text repeats this with only half a retraction, calling it a "suspected terror attack".  With no evidence, that is misleading.

I just wanted to clarify. The extra effort comes from you and others, who don't want to accept the clarification, but neither do you have the evidence to contradict.

Last edited by Original Quill on Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:25 pm

Maybe that's the problem, focusing on one facet.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:37 pm

Vintage wrote:Maybe that's the problem, focusing on one facet.

It is often the case that a single facet of a story is the most important ingredient.  Who would mention WWII, and yet forget about the holocaust?  Who would talk about a rape, yet fail to mention the issue of consent?  Crucial pieces of a story are often the point of the story.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:10 pm

Officially arrested on the charges now...

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/men-arrested-suspicion-conspiracy-murder-17850726
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:16 am

It's appalling to hear of terrorist prisoners attacking prison staff. I hope Tommy Mair doesn't get any ideas. What a Face

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:31 am

Tommy Monk wrote:

Officially arrested on the charges now...

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/men-arrested-suspicion-conspiracy-murder-17850726

Will not link for US. Got another link?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:20 pm

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020-03-03/two-arrested-for-terror-offences-over-attack-on-prison-officer-at-whitemoor-in-cambridgeshire/

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:38 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020-03-03/two-arrested-for-terror-offences-over-attack-on-prison-officer-at-whitemoor-in-cambridgeshire/

Also won't open.  But I can read in the margins.  It says two charges: conspiracy to murder, and preparation of a terrorist act.  They didn't detail the evidence that it was a terrorist act.  Are they keeping it secret, or is it that they don't have much on that count?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:14 pm

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/hmp-whitemoor-terror-attack-prison-officer-arrests-a4376736.html

Or...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-51715985

You could always try to find your own link source to this widely publicised news story...!?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:41 pm

As I said, I can read in the margins.

It says two charges: conspiracy to murder, and preparation of a terrorist act. They didn't detail the evidence that it was a terrorist act. Are they keeping it secret, or is it that they don't have much on that count?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:06 pm

Disclosure of evidence will happen under due process...

Thought a pretend lawyer should know that...!?

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:33 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

Disclosure of evidence will happen under due process...

Thought a pretend lawyer should know that...!?

lol!

It's not my case to make. As a perceptive lawyer, if your case is unsubstantiated it means that I win. Why would I help you search for non-existent evidence when the very fact that your evidence is missing, helps my own claim.

There is no evidence of terrorism to this story.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:52 pm

I said you could find your own link to the story, if you have trouble opening the links I provided...

Nothing to do with disclosure of evidence... That happens between prosecution and defence plaintiff/lawyers in the run up to a trial... thought you would know that...

Evidence is not disclosed to the general news media outlets for the perusal and discussion of the public before trial... for reasons of ensuring rights to a fair trial... Thought you would know that too...!?

You're not a very good pretend lawyer... are you...!?

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:49 am

Tommy Monk wrote:I said you could find your own link to the story, if you have trouble opening the links I provided...

Nothing to do with disclosure of evidence... That happens between prosecution and defence plaintiff/lawyers in the run up to a trial... thought you would know that...

Evidence is not disclosed to the general news media outlets for the perusal and discussion of the public before trial... for reasons of ensuring rights to a fair trial... Thought you would know that too...!?

You're not a very good pretend lawyer... are you...!?

lol!

So you've got nothing? OK...I won't waste any more time.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:04 pm

The authorities have the evidence...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:21 pm

A convicted Terrorist attacks a Warder, ergo, Terrorist attack !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:26 pm

nicko wrote: A convicted Terrorist attacks a Warder,  ergo, Terrorist attack !

So, it's all in the definition. I thot so. Semantic arguments don't impress. Rolling Eyes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_dispute

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:20 pm

I think your wrong Quill, But your entitled to your opinion ,as am I.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:02 pm

This is not the first time that a prison inmate serving time for terrorist offences has carried out a violent attack on a prison guard or on another inmate... but as almost all of these previous incidents have been treated as regular non terrorism related violent assaults, and this particular incident is being treated differently as a terrorist motivated incident, would clearly indicate that there is enough reason and evidence there for the authorities to be treating this incident as such.

If and when there are charges brought by the police, and there is a case brought before a court to decide... Then the evidence will be provided to the court for consideration...

That is due process here in UK...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:29 pm

nicko wrote:I think your wrong Quill, But your entitled to your opinion ,as am I.

One can be wrong about facts, but there is no such thing as wrong about logic. Take math, for example. I can be right, or wrong, in saying my math book is on the table before me. But I can never be wrong regarding what math says about 2 + 2 = 4. That is because the former statement speaks about a condition that can change. The latter speaks to an unchanging truth.

Logic takes many forms (not just math), including semantic argument. When you argue semantics you are just arguing definitions. It's like, is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable? There is a difference, but who gives a shiet when you are discussing tomato-based recipes? Likewise, when asking whether a certain act is terrorism--now, in the present--who gives a sheit what the prisoner is originally charged with? In Kantian terms, there is no 'necessary connection' between this act and the former act.

Does the definition of this act rely on what the prisoner was originally charged with, or does this act have a distinction of its own? It's largely semantical (of, relating to, or arising from the different meanings of words or other symbols), but it can lead one in different directions. For example, if this act had nothing to do with terrorism, but arose out of an intra-prison extortion scheme, calling it terrorism could mislead investigators into completely missing another crime.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:41 pm

Lawyer speak ! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:36 pm

nicko wrote:Lawyer speak ! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yeah...or just plain ole logic. https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/lets-argue-semantics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_dispute

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-argument-linguistics-1689003

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2