NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overall time on social media is not related to teen anxiety and depression

2 posters

Go down

Overall time on social media is not related to teen anxiety and depression Empty Overall time on social media is not related to teen anxiety and depression

Post by eddie Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:49 pm

new research led by Sarah Coyne, a professor of family life at Brigham Young University, found that the amount of time spent on social media is not directly increasing anxiety or depression in teenagers.

"We spent eight years trying to really understand the relationship between time spent on social media and depression for developing teenagers," Coyne said about her study published in Computers in Human Behavior. "If they increased their social media time, would it make them more depressed? Also, if they decreased their social media time, were they less depressed? The answer is no. We found that time spent on social media was not what was impacting anxiety or depression."

Mental health is a multi-process syndrome where no one stressor is likely the cause of depression or anxiety. This study shows that it is not merely the amount of time spent on social media that's leading to an increase in depression or anxiety among adolescents.

"It's not just the amount of time that is important for most kids. For example, two teenagers could use social media for exactly the same amount of time but may have vastly different outcomes as a result of the way they are using it," Coyne said.

The goal of this study is to help society as a whole move beyond the screen time debate and instead to examine the context and content surrounding social media use.

In an effort to understand teenagers' mental health and their social media use, researchers worked with 500 youth between the ages of 13 and 20 who completed once-yearly questionnaires over an eight-year span. Social media use was measured by asking participants how much time they spent on social networking sites on a typical day. To measure depression and anxiety, participants responded to questions with different scales to indicate depressive symptoms and anxiety levels. These results were then analyzed on an individual level to see if there was a strong correlation between the two variables.

At age 13, adolescents reported an average social networking use of 31-60 minutes per day. These average levels increased steadily so that by young adulthood, they were reporting upwards of two hours per day. This increase of social networking, though, did not predict future mental health. That is, adolescents' increases in social networking beyond their typical levels did not predict changes in anxiety or depression one year later.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/10/191022174406.htm

Interesting...I always thought that social media would and could, affect a teens mental state. Of course, there are other studies that contradict the article I’ve posted up.

Thoughts?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Overall time on social media is not related to teen anxiety and depression Empty Re: Overall time on social media is not related to teen anxiety and depression

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:53 pm

I can't imagine having to learn and understand the workings of social media in my early teen years. But I suppose that for kids, this reality just makes social media another part of life?

Also something to be said for the notion that it's not social media itself that can affect you, but rather the content you consume on social media. Just like with the regular media, it's all about what you focus on, right?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Overall time on social media is not related to teen anxiety and depression Empty Re: Overall time on social media is not related to teen anxiety and depression

Post by eddie Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:56 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:I can't imagine having to learn and understand the workings of social media in my early teen years. But I suppose that for kids, this reality just makes social media another part of life?

Also something to be said for the notion that it's not social media itself that can affect you, but rather the content you consume on social media. Just like with the regular media, it's all about what you focus on, right?

Absolutely. I agree with that.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:07 pm

eddie wrote:
new research led by Sarah Coyne, a professor of family life at Brigham Young University, found that the amount of time spent on social media is not directly increasing anxiety or depression in teenagers.

"We spent eight years trying to really understand the relationship between time spent on social media and depression for developing teenagers," Coyne said about her study published in Computers in Human Behavior. "If they increased their social media time, would it make them more depressed? Also, if they decreased their social media time, were they less depressed? The answer is no. We found that time spent on social media was not what was impacting anxiety or depression."

Mental health is a multi-process syndrome where no one stressor is likely the cause of depression or anxiety. This study shows that it is not merely the amount of time spent on social media that's leading to an increase in depression or anxiety among adolescents.

"It's not just the amount of time that is important for most kids. For example, two teenagers could use social media for exactly the same amount of time but may have vastly different outcomes as a result of the way they are using it," Coyne said.

The goal of this study is to help society as a whole move beyond the screen time debate and instead to examine the context and content surrounding social media use.

In an effort to understand teenagers' mental health and their social media use, researchers worked with 500 youth between the ages of 13 and 20 who completed once-yearly questionnaires over an eight-year span. Social media use was measured by asking participants how much time they spent on social networking sites on a typical day. To measure depression and anxiety, participants responded to questions with different scales to indicate depressive symptoms and anxiety levels. These results were then analyzed on an individual level to see if there was a strong correlation between the two variables.

At age 13, adolescents reported an average social networking use of 31-60 minutes per day. These average levels increased steadily so that by young adulthood, they were reporting upwards of two hours per day. This increase of social networking, though, did not predict future mental health. That is, adolescents' increases in social networking beyond their typical levels did not predict changes in anxiety or depression one year later.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/10/191022174406.htm

Interesting...I always thought that social media would and could, affect a teens mental state.  Of course, there are other studies that contradict the article I’ve posted up.

Thoughts?

The key word is "directly"

I have not seen any of the other studies claim the amount of time was key, but a culmination of factors Eddie

I also think its a culmination of factors around education on teaching children to be constantly seen as victims. They are teaching such a negative effect on children. Hence its no surprise we have seen such a rise in depression. The reality is there was only one control factor in this study. It never formulated why we know the rates of depression has risen, especially in teen girls

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:11 pm

For example:

If you tell someone continually, they are hard done by for example simple by a multitude of identity politics doctrine.That play off , a few based off an arbitrary system of identity. Where even more if a child has been smothered in society or in school. That they do not know how to handle people in the real world. Whether that be on social media or meeting

The problems stems with mollycoddling parenting and at school

We are not teaching children to be independent but be reliant on others to look after them

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:32 pm

Thorin wrote:For example:

If you tell someone continually, they are hard done by for example simple by a multitude of identity politics doctrine.That play off , a few based off an arbitrary system of identity. Where even more if a child has been smothered in society or in school. That they do not know how to handle people in the real world. Whether that be on social media or meeting

We are not teaching children to be independent but be reliant on others to look after them

So what happens to many kids then when they go on social media. They look for the same attention they receive at school or from their parents

They actually end up seeing the complete opposite, because they have not been prepared properly for the reality of the world. They expect everyone to agree with them and it comes as a shock when someone does not bow down to them, as they have been used to growing up

This is the issue where a society panders to a need and ends up harming children far more, by never teaching them the reality of the world. As they have continually smothered them from any perceived or real harm.

To be fair to some parents. They have done this because they grew up in an age of distrust themselves when we grew up in an age of sexual predators preying on children. It rightly hardened us to not allow children out of sight, but its come at a cost. Now children that develop into teens are so fragile in a vast number of cases. That they do not know how to deal with the world

On that note, have a good evening Ben and eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:53 am

Thorin wrote:For example:

Spot on. I didn’t particularly agree with the comments in my OP. I stand where you stand on this.

eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down