HARRY AND MEGHAN,,,,,,RIGHT OR WRONG?

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

HARRY AND MEGHAN,,,,,,RIGHT OR WRONG? - Page 2 Empty HARRY AND MEGHAN,,,,,,RIGHT OR WRONG?

Post by gelico on Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

so there is so much discussion going on about this, how do you guys feel about this situation

The way I see it, any royal except the main crown takers are bound to feel like a bit of a spare part, who are they? what do they do?  what is their actual role?  how much money do they receive, etc etc

i do feel a bit sorry for meghan being a total outsider, she doesn't have the first idea about the royal family and how it works and i think she was warned by friends don't do it.  having ditched her family, she now has no one she can really confide in except close friends and she feels unwanted.

on the other hand Harry should have had the decency to not go public until talks had been completed.

also heard comments that for harry and megan go off and create brand sussex and make a fortune off the back of their titles but without any of the royal responsibility would be totally wrong

some really sad comments that the brothers are almost estranged over this and they've always been so close

comments?

gelico

Back to top Go down

HARRY AND MEGHAN,,,,,,RIGHT OR WRONG? - Page 2 Empty Re: HARRY AND MEGHAN,,,,,,RIGHT OR WRONG?

Post by Original Quill on Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:14 am

Maddog wrote:
JulesV wrote:

Because of his priceless contacts. I think can command top dollar if they seek it.
And him stepping down as a senior royal does not mean totally cutting loose from his family. Whatever happens, his dad will continue to fund him. More money falls out of his dad's trouser pockets on to the back of the sofa per week than most people earn in a year. Laughing  I very much doubt they will have any future money problems, whatever happens.

All of his contacts are because he is royalty. He's not just some red headed dude from Scotland.  

That's on the public...they create the market.  Harry--bless his soul-- just happens to be in the right spot when the train comes along.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Back to top Go down

HARRY AND MEGHAN,,,,,,RIGHT OR WRONG? - Page 2 Empty Re: HARRY AND MEGHAN,,,,,,RIGHT OR WRONG?

Post by Tommy Monk on Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:55 am

All a load of guff... a handy diversion away from randy Andy...!

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker on Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:19 pm

HARRY AND MEGHAN,,,,,,RIGHT OR WRONG? - Page 2 Prince10

Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Brutus on Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:32 pm

I am struggling to understand WHY people are CONTINUING their attacks on Harry and Meghan.
The decisions have been made, the 3 most important people in this saga are satisfied with the outcome , the Queen, Harry and Meghan, so what is the point in continuing the hostility and futile vitriol.
Not just from the ghastly press, but from the posters here who upon first impressions hate her.
It's all a bit like Brexit.
The vote was made, the decision was to leave.
And many Brexiteers slammed leavers for not accepting what has happened.
That smacks of hypocrisy.
Brutus
Brutus

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:44 pm

Brutus wrote:I am struggling to understand WHY people are CONTINUING their attacks on Harry and Meghan.
The decisions have been made, the 3 most important people in this saga are satisfied with the outcome , the Queen, Harry and Meghan, so what is the point in continuing the hostility and futile vitriol.
Not just from the ghastly press, but from the posters here who upon first impressions hate her.

Why are the Royals covered at all?

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage on Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:39 pm

I for one don't hate her, I dislike the way she seems to have of using people to get what she wants and where she wants and discarding them without it seems a second thought.
I could put up with the celebrity style if required but I can't really see past throwing over a previously booked in the diary engagement with the Marines, which apparently has Harry as their Royal Colonel or whatever just to go to the premier of the Lion King and hobnob with celebs. Harry we are told loved his Army life, and his fellow soldiers, see Invictus games, he does seem to come alive with such activities (I don't see why he couldn't have still had a career there at least at a sort of admin/training establishment,) so why did he do such a thing as fail to attend an important memorial for the Marines I can't fathom it. It was different things for different people I think some disliked the expenditure in clothes which were generally not by British designers, hardly going to help the industry, others didn't like the snub to the Marines, then came the show and tell games at others weddings, birthdays and tours. People will still talk about it for a while because frankly they don't trust these two people, who have assets that most could only dream of and want to be self sufficient while receiving 2.5 million from his dad. Then there's the titles and styles which won't be used for commercial gain - I don't think many people believe that. What about the security who gets to pay for that tax paying people wonder if they get to pay this while getting nothing in return. Eventually if all does settle down and they achieve what they want or go into obscurity maybe people will stop talking about them.

Vintage

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:39 pm

Vintage wrote:I for one don't hate her, I dislike the way she seems to have of using people to get what she wants and where she wants and discarding them without it seems a second thought.
I could put up with the celebrity style if required but I can't really see past throwing over a previously booked in the diary engagement with the Marines, which apparently has Harry as their Royal Colonel or whatever just to go to the premier of the Lion King and hobnob with celebs. Harry we are told loved his Army life, and his fellow soldiers, see Invictus games, he does seem to come alive with such activities (I don't see why he couldn't have still had a career there at least at a sort of admin/training establishment,) so why did he do such a thing as fail to attend an important memorial for the Marines I can't fathom it. It was different things for different people I think some disliked the expenditure in clothes which were generally not by British designers, hardly going to help the industry, others didn't like the snub to the Marines, then came the show and tell games at others weddings, birthdays and tours. People will still talk about it for a while because frankly they don't trust these two people, who have assets that most could only dream of and want to be self sufficient while receiving 2.5 million from his dad. Then there's the titles and styles which won't be used for commercial gain - I don't think many people believe that. What about the security who gets to pay for that tax paying people wonder if they get to pay this while getting nothing in return. Eventually if all does settle down and they achieve what they want or go into obscurity maybe people will stop talking about them.

Guessing by your judgments, you should be glad that he and Meghan are leaving.  Less in clothing costs, travel, and pageantry...and whatever other costs.  He's even paying the Queen back the £3.1-million in improvements on his cottage.

Aren't you glad?

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:34 am

Brutus wrote:I am struggling to understand WHY people are CONTINUING their attacks on Harry and Meghan.

Quite right. Welcome by the way.

He gave a speech tonight on Instagram. As I mentioned it has been in discussion for many months, longer than the tabloids said. I believe someone leaked it and by the whole thing not happening till Spring just confirms my suspicions. BUT the haters still won’t stop. The most disgusting things are being said on their posts. And people wonder why it has come to this? I do believe since the fallout from the tabloids after he was found in Afghanistan just reinforced in his mind that he wanted to leave.

the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:25 am

People won't stop talking about this for sometime, there are too many questions still to be sorted. It has all come as a huge shock to many Royalists, they are not all haters, in fact very few are, as Harry said the people had taken him as their own, he is very well loved.
If he is so unhappy with his lot the best thing is to leave for a 'normal' life, which is something he'll never have in reality but good luck to them. Harry is a great loss to the Royal Family and country.
So no Quill I am not happy to see them go just trying to give the reasons why people are still talking about it all.

Vintage

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:56 pm

Vintage wrote:People won't stop talking about this for sometime, there are too many questions still to be sorted. It has all come as a huge shock to many Royalists, they are not all haters, in fact very few are, as Harry said the people had taken him as their own, he is very well loved.
If he is so unhappy with his lot the best thing is to leave for a 'normal' life, which is something he'll never have in reality but good luck to them. Harry is a great loss to the Royal Family and country.
So no Quill I am not happy to see them go just trying to give the reasons why people are still talking about it all.

Well--he and Meghan leaving--it's the best that can be hoped for under the circumstances, don't you agree? They are simply exercising their choice to enjoy the lifestyle they want.

The fact that their life cannot be "normal", in a non-royal sense, is not of their doing. I mean, after all, they suffer to consequences of extreme adulation as well. It's a burden to be popular.

BYW...I'm a royalist too. But, to be fair, I want whatever they want.

Normal is broken.

Original Quill
Original Quill

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:06 pm

Vintage wrote:People won't stop talking about this for sometime, there are too many questions still to be sorted. It has all come as a huge shock to many Royalists, they are not all haters, in fact very few are, as Harry said the people had taken him as their own, he is very well loved.

But the haters are still there Vintage, and in droves. Looking at newspaper comments and on social media posts, even after his speech in which he quite clearly lays out his reasons, they still continue to pour forth their vitriol. It only reinforces HIS reasons for stepping away.

As for one of the reasons people won’t stop talking, money, people forgot that the Duke of Windsor was given a huge settlement as well as a monthly payment for life after he abdicated which was a much more significant matter than this. If the media would just stop publishing articles on them non-stop, and false ones at that, then the whole thing will simmer down. Of course they won’t ever be able to have what you and I consider a normal life, but that’s an accident of birth and nothing that he asked for. Of course there is also going to be interest in them, but I just hope they can be left in peace and who knows, maybe one day they will return to royal duties. Maybe they won’t. And that’s their choice and good luck to them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage on Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:55 pm

I haven't seen much of the racist and vitriolic utterings, I have seen some very critical and near the knuckle comments from people who feel cheated, we hear Harry and Meghan really wanted to do their duty yet give up without giving it a chance, then we hear they wanted to do their duty but on their terms, then we hear plans for various schemes were being ironed out by Meghans's people in the US just after the wedding, clothes left in storage in Toronto, 'friends' leaking stories of toxic atmosphere in the family, Archie too young to travel to see grandma, yet ok to travel to Nice and where ever else, three times refused to meet with the Queen, cancelled a meeting with Prince Charles - was all of this made up, it may have been embellished but I doubt there isn't some truth at the bottom of it all.
People feel its all insulting to the Queen, the institution and to them after they were initially so welcoming. Its all been a PR disaster

Vintage

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:32 pm

Vintage wrote:I haven't seen much of the racist and vitriolic utterings, I have seen some very critical and near the knuckle comments from people who feel cheated, we hear Harry and Meghan really wanted to do their duty yet give up without giving it a chance, then we hear they wanted to do their duty but on their terms, then we hear plans for various schemes were being ironed out by Meghans's people in the US just after the wedding, clothes left in storage in Toronto, 'friends' leaking stories of toxic atmosphere in the family, Archie too young to travel to see grandma, yet ok to travel to Nice and where ever else, three times refused to meet with the Queen, cancelled a meeting with Prince Charles - was all of this made up, it may have been embellished but I doubt there isn't some truth at the bottom of it all.
People feel its all insulting to the Queen, the institution and to them after they were initially so welcoming. Its all been a PR disaster

No doubt, if there's a disaster anywhere nearby, the tabloids will grab it and run with it. If you think back in history, that's what killed Harry's mom, and hounded him all his life. It's like touching the tar baby: eww, get it off, it's all over me!

People think that being a royal is all luxury and the finer things in life. But all of that blessing can be a burden if the tables are turned. They were turned for Harry, even before he was born. Whence the sperm that conceived him?? His whole existence has been one of pain and misery, enlarged by being a royal and being the subject of not just coffee-house gossip, but front pages in bold type.

Well, he wants none of it. He and his wife should be given a chance at a normal life. That's my opinion.

Normal is broken.

Original Quill
Original Quill

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:45 pm

Harry's Mom died because the Driver was drunk,and his Mom did not do up her seat belt !
nicko
nicko

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico on Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:54 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Vintage wrote:I haven't seen much of the racist and vitriolic utterings, I have seen some very critical and near the knuckle comments from people who feel cheated, we hear Harry and Meghan really wanted to do their duty yet give up without giving it a chance, then we hear they wanted to do their duty but on their terms, then we hear plans for various schemes were being ironed out by Meghans's people in the US just after the wedding, clothes left in storage in Toronto, 'friends' leaking stories of toxic atmosphere in the family, Archie too young to travel to see grandma, yet ok to travel to Nice and where ever else, three times refused to meet with the Queen, cancelled a meeting with Prince Charles - was all of this made up, it may have been embellished but I doubt there isn't some truth at the bottom of it all.

No doubt, if there's a disaster anywhere nearby, the tabloids will grab it and run with it.  If you think back in history, that's what killed Harry's mom, and hounded him all his life.  It's like touching the tar baby: eww, get it off, it's all over me!

People think that being a royal is all luxury and the finer things in life.  But all of that blessing can be a burden if the tables are turned.  They were turned for Harry, even before he was born.  Whence the sperm that conceived him??  His whole existence has been one of pain and misery, enlarged by being a royal and being the subject of not just coffee-house gossip, but front pages in bold type.

Well, he wants none of it.  He and his wife should be given a chance at a normal life.  That's my opinion.

the tabloids will go after whosoever they choose at any given moment. I vividly remember Fergie constantly being referred to as the Duchess of Pork, scrutinised at every turn, compared to Diana and probably feeling that everything she said or did was wrong.

they can be downright hurtful and nasty but i still don't think there was racism involved and that's what is constantly being claimed

gelico

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:53 pm

gelico wrote:they can be downright hurtful and nasty but i still don't think there was racism involved and that's what is constantly being claimed

I think it's subliminal with some of the lower classes of England. It's not properly spoken of, but it is there.

Normal is broken.

Original Quill
Original Quill

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico on Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:10 pm

Original Quill wrote:
gelico wrote:they can be downright hurtful and nasty but i still don't think there was racism involved and that's what is constantly being claimed

I think it's subliminal with some of the lower classes of England.  It's not properly spoken of, but it is there.

yeah, but you are speaking from the perspective of a racist so it's not surprising that you feel that way

gelico

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:55 pm

gelico wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

No doubt, if there's a disaster anywhere nearby, the tabloids will grab it and run with it.  If you think back in history, that's what killed Harry's mom, and hounded him all his life.  It's like touching the tar baby: eww, get it off, it's all over me!

People think that being a royal is all luxury and the finer things in life.  But all of that blessing can be a burden if the tables are turned.  They were turned for Harry, even before he was born.  Whence the sperm that conceived him??  His whole existence has been one of pain and misery, enlarged by being a royal and being the subject of not just coffee-house gossip, but front pages in bold type.

Well, he wants none of it.  He and his wife should be given a chance at a normal life.  That's my opinion.

the tabloids will go after whosoever they choose at any given moment.  I vividly remember Fergie constantly being referred to as the Duchess of Pork, scrutinised at every turn, compared to Diana and probably feeling that everything she said or did was wrong.

they can be downright hurtful and nasty but i still don't think there was racism involved and that's what is constantly being claimed

Gels I saw racism loud and proud and also inferred this morning on the comments sections of newspapers and social media. Nutmeg, monkey, bananas, gorilla, black ho just to name a few. I’ve seen it all along since they first started dating. I have no reason to lie. Diana, Sarah and Kate were all blasted but nothing was ever said about them being white until Diana started having a fling with Dodi and it got worse when they found out she had been in a relationship with a Pakistani doctor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:57 pm

Original Quill wrote:

I think it's subliminal with some of the lower classes of England.  It's not properly spoken of, but it is there.

There is a lot of subliminal racism involved in this particular case but it’s wrong to label it just as English or lower class. It’s coming from everywhere and from every sector of society.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brutus on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:02 pm

It's because most of the rw press, especially the tabloids are inherently racist as that stance sells papers. Difficult which is worse between the Sun, Mail and Express. They are in a ratings war and controversial headlines and articles sell copy.
Brutus
Brutus

Back to top Go down

Post by Thorin on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:07 pm

Cass wrote:
gelico wrote:

the tabloids will go after whosoever they choose at any given moment.  I vividly remember Fergie constantly being referred to as the Duchess of Pork, scrutinised at every turn, compared to Diana and probably feeling that everything she said or did was wrong.

Gels I saw racism loud and proud and also inferred this morning on the comments sections of newspapers and social media. Nutmeg, monkey, bananas, gorilla, black ho just to name a few. I’ve seen it all along since they first started dating. I have no reason to lie. Diana, Sarah and Kate were all blasted but nothing was ever said about them being white until Diana started having a fling with Dodi and it got worse when they found out she had been in a relationship with a Pakistani doctor.

Yes there is a number of racist people in society, especially on social media, but is the majority of the criticism racist?

No

I think many people are actually looking at this more from a underlining sexist stance. Where they think Harry is being controlled by a female. Which is silly and ridiculous. If they both want to take a back seat from this life. Good luck to them. As its not a normal life for the Royals, that we the general public have. So I do not blame them on this, but going off some racist numpties on social media. Is not a true reflection of the people who have been critical.

Thorin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thorin on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:21 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2020/01/19/prince-harry-breaks-silence-royal-split-telling-charity-dinner/

Thorin

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:37 pm

Cass wrote:
gelico wrote:

Oh, I don't doubt it, cass. I was talking about suggestions that the media stories themselves being racist, not the racist dullards that comment on stories. that's a different thing.

of course racism exists, i'm not denying that at all. then again you will find racism all over the world, cass. it's hardly exclusive to the English and certainly not to the working class

my point was the media coverage itself, was very positive to start with, as was the people of England, loyal, welcoming waving their flags et all.

things changed and it was certain aspects of their behaviour that drew justifiable criticism.

as soon as that happened the racist claims started

i abhor racism but i honestly think that card is pulled far too often without any kind of reasoning,

gelico

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:37 pm

gelico wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I think it's subliminal with some of the lower classes of England. It's not properly spoken of, but it is there.

yeah, but you are speaking from the perspective of a racist so it's not surprising that you feel that way

I speak more from the perspective of an anti-slavery advocate. Slavery didn't die on January 1, 1863, when the emancipation proclamation went into effect. Through a series of Jim Crow laws, it went from a period of peonage, to racial purity (social separation of the races), to separate but equal, to segregation, to post-Brown v. Bd. of Educ., to the southern strategy, to institutional isolation and lingering effects of past discrimination, to the present counter-resentment and allegations of reverse-racism. It's still going on in America, and as we grow closer through electronics, I've found it over there in England as well.

You limit your comments to the media, but I speak from the wider experience of the Internet. Particularly from England, I hear the derogatory comments about Muslims and blacks...the Paki's from the east end, etc. Brits, after having long avoided it due to distance, have begun to acquire the taste for white supremacy.

It's boiled over in some conversations about Meghan. So, yes, it's there. One of the things that endears Harry to the commoners, here and there, is he's been down in the briarpatch. He was the object of derision before he was even born. Most royals are protected from such experiences, but Harry has been there. They stick their long, German necks out and look down their noses at the plebeians...but dare not touch 'em. But Harry touches them. So, the commoners can relate to him...often instinctually.

Harry crosses the divide, and perhaps that's what attracted him to Meghan. Perhaps, also, that's where the resentment comes from. Because, yes, it's a two-way street. Just as Harry embraces the "other", some people resent any sort of mingling with those damned "others". They focus that resentment on anyone who is just trying to be fair and treat all people decently. It's their seething, subliminal anger at transgressing their hidden racism.

That's my opinion.

Normal is broken.

Original Quill
Original Quill

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:41 pm

Thorin wrote:https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2020/01/19/prince-harry-breaks-silence-royal-split-telling-charity-dinner/

There’s that too. Harry has been called some awful names as well. It’s disgusting and unnecessary but anonymity on the internet protects asshats. Honestly Didge there has been a tremendous amount of racism rearing it’s ugly head against her. Of course it’s not everybody, there’s a lot of support too being voiced but the racism, whether implied or spoken has no place in today’s society.

I watched this speech and cried. Cried because he is a decent guy who is trying to protect his wife and son and live up to his values. He has been through more than any of us can comprehend on a daily basis since birth. He’s a human being and as such should be treated like one. He admits he has made mistakes and that takes balls to do that in the public arena. Disagree with his decision but do it in a polite and civil way. Go look at their Instagram and the Daily Mail for instance. You’ll see what I am talking about.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:42 pm

Cass wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

There is a lot of subliminal racism involved in this particular case but it’s wrong to label it just as English or lower class. It’s coming from everywhere and from every sector of society.

I mean that only in the sense that the uneducated and incautious let the tongue slip. As I stated in the above post, it's internal with the upper class and royals too. They are just prudently quiet about it.

Normal is broken.

Original Quill
Original Quill

Back to top Go down

Post by Thorin on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:44 pm

gelico wrote:
Cass wrote:

Oh, I don't doubt it, cass.   I was talking about suggestions that the media stories themselves being racist, not the racist dullards that comment on stories.  that's a different thing.

of course racism exists, i'm not denying that at all.  then again you will find racism all over the world, cass.  it's hardly exclusive to the English and certainly not to the working class

my point was the media coverage itself, was very positive to start with, as was the people of England, loyal, welcoming waving their flags et all.

things changed and it was certain aspects of their behaviour that drew justifiable criticism.

i abhor racism but i honestly think that card is pulled far too often without any kind of reasoning,

100% agree. When they got married the support was overwhelming

I did not see racism there in any shape, so racism is not the cause that is driving the criticism.

I guess like I said, its a multitude of factors and I guess for some that their taxes pay for them to do a duty

I guess many will having differing views, but not everything is about racism

Anyway, Night Gelico and cass

Thorin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thorin on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:47 pm

Cass wrote:
Thorin wrote:https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2020/01/19/prince-harry-breaks-silence-royal-split-telling-charity-dinner/

There’s that too. Harry has been called some awful names as well. It’s disgusting and unnecessary but anonymity on the internet protects asshats. Honestly Didge there has been a tremendous amount of racism rearing it’s ugly head against her. Of course it’s not everybody, there’s a lot of support too being voiced but the racism, whether implied or spoken has no place in today’s society.

I watched this speech and cried. Cried because he is a decent guy who is trying to protect his wife and son and live up to his values. He has been through more than any of us can comprehend on a daily basis since birth. He’s a human being and as such should be treated like one. He admits he has made mistakes and that takes balls to do that in the public arena. Disagree with his decision but do it in a polite and civil way.  Go look at their Instagram and the Daily Mail for instance. You’ll see what I am talking about.

Cass I wish them the best of luck in the future ahead

I am on twitter and see some of the foul things said. So I understand where you are coming from and to me its sad they are leaving. To me there is a multitude of reasons for the criticism

I think now that they are leaving, people should let them go and let them be

Take care and goodnight

Thorin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:47 pm

HARRY AND MEGHAN,,,,,,RIGHT OR WRONG? - Page 2 Meg10

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:48 pm

gelico wrote:
Cass wrote:

Oh, I don't doubt it, cass.   I was talking about suggestions that the media stories themselves being racist, not the racist dullards that comment on stories.  that's a different thing.

of course racism exists, i'm not denying that at all.  then again you will find racism all over the world, cass.  it's hardly exclusive to the English and certainly not to the working class

Fair comments. But a lot of the media at the beginning was negative, especially when it became a serious relationship. Her color, her nationality, her career, her family background, her previous marriage, all of it was discussed again and again after media outlets published articles “according to” blah blah blah. Then they sit back and say whoa hey it’s not our fault, we just print it. That’s avoiding accepting responsibility for their part in it.

What behaviors on their part did you find wrong, out of curiosity?

I personally believe that in this case, there is solid evidence and reasoning behind what I said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:49 pm

Night Didge.

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:01 pm

i didn't like the idea of Harry ditching an important military engagement which are arranged ages in advance in order to attend a film. It seemed disrespectful to me.

I saw an interview with (I think a photographer) who has been with Harry for ages talking about the change in him and kind of going over the issues which may have caused disappointment in some and criticism from others. The fact that all his old friends (bar one) have no place in his life now and apparently they were all really close. He said Harry seems actually quite unhappy (I'll see if I can find it)

I wish them both well but the lifestyle they want is not compatible with the Royal Family. Many people think of it as stuffy and old fashioned and needs to be dragged up to date a bit but honestly? I think one of the reasons foreigners love them so much, from around the world is due to that very old fashioned stance, tradition, duty to country etc.

I think they feared it was in danger of becoming some kind of weird and wacky soap. Like the shenanigans of the past (and present,,,,,Andrew) isn't enough to cope with

I mean the RF is kind of dysfunctional enough already without added drama

I just don't think they fit into the RF lifestyle and all it entails. That's not a criticism by the way just my opinion

gelico

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:04 pm

sorry, my post was intended for you, cass. i thought i'd quoted you

gelico

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:14 pm

Thorin wrote:
gelico wrote:

100% agree. When they got married the support was overwhelming

I did not see racism there in any shape, so racism is not the cause that is driving the criticism.

I guess like I said, its a multitude of factors and I guess for some that their taxes pay for them to do a duty

I guess many will having differing views, but not everything is about racism

Anyway, Night Gelico and cass

agree with it being many factors

as for the media scrutinising her background. it's hardly a surprise. every aspect of her life past and present would be under media scrutiny. i'm sure she said herself that friends had warned her not to do it. harry himself surely warned her what it would be like. if anyone knows it's him.

maybe from the very start of their relationship they had this idea of backing off. i dont blame them at all but i agree with you, not every issue and not every criticism is about racism

anyhoos, night didge

gelico

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:21 pm

gelico wrote:
i didn't like the idea of Harry ditching an important military engagement which are arranged ages in advance in order to attend a film.  It seemed disrespectful to me.

I saw an interview with (I think a photographer) who has been with Harry for ages talking about the change in him and kind of going over the issues which may have caused disappointment in some and criticism from others. The fact that all his old friends (bar one) have no place in his life now and apparently they were all really close.  He said Harry seems actually quite unhappy (I'll see if I can find it)

I wish them both well but the lifestyle they want is not compatible with the Royal Family.  Many people think of it as stuffy and old fashioned and needs to be dragged up to date a bit but honestly? I think one of the reasons foreigners love them so much, from around the world is due to that very old fashioned stance, tradition, duty to country etc.  

I think they feared it was in danger of becoming some kind of weird and wacky soap.  Like the shenanigans of the past (and present,,,,,Andrew) isn't enough to cope with

I mean the RF is kind of dysfunctional enough already without added drama

I just don't think they fit into the RF lifestyle and all it entails.  That's not a criticism by the way just my opinion

If the Royals become like everyone else, are they even Royal anymore?

That's the problem with this whole mess. If these people aren't held to a much different standard, there is nothing really special about them.

Honestly, there is nothing special about them to me at all, but I'm an American. But once they start being treated like everyone else, it's time to sell off the castles and move on.

noun

Maddog
Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:02 am

gelico wrote:

sorry, my post was intended for you, cass.  i thought i'd quoted you

No worries hon.

The thing you say about the photographer. Is it true, half true? Unless we hear it from the horse’s mouth so to speak it’s all speculation. Some military things are set in stone and planned in advance, some are quick pop ups. All we can do at this point is listen to what Harry says and take that as the truth.

Coming on after Andrew certainly did not help, but throughout the Queen’s reign there have been crises in the RF and they’ve gotten over them and continued on (poor Princess Margaret springs to mind immediately). I agree that they couldn’t have it both ways sadly, but I think they will make a success of their lives. Families are families with all the love, hate, disagreements etc... no matter if you’re royal or not.

Quite right that the history and tradition are important to the U.K. and hopefully will continue to be.

Anyhoos must get back to work. Book orders are such a drag because we use excel spreadsheets and they are the work of Satan. It’s been a great conversation x

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:30 am

I can see Harry being dragged along behind Meghan as she does the Party rounds. All her celebrity friends will surround her,with Harry standing around like a spare prick at a Wedding ! Wont happen straight away ,but give it time !
nicko
nicko

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:48 am

nicko wrote:  I can see Harry being dragged along behind Meghan as she does the Party rounds. All her celebrity friends will surround her,with Harry standing around like a spare prick at a Wedding !  Wont happen straight away ,but give it time !

That's cause you've been fed and bought the media line of him being under the thumb Rolling Eyes

Harry is an independent man, who has fought for many causes he cares for, served in Afghanistan and founded the Invictus games.

Anyone who thinks he is so weak he'd be led on by his wife is completely disrespecting him and everything he's done.

All because the media told you what to think.

"The beginning of wisdom is the definition of terms" Socrates
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:44 am

Not true, wait and see !
nicko
nicko

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage on Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:00 am

Every aspect of anyone's background who joins the RF is looked into, its how we found out that Catherine's family were coal miners in the past. Much was made of her mother being a Trolley Dolly, snide remarks were made regarding that by some people. It was also a debate on her family being very new money and not really acceptable.
Most of what Harry and Meghan were called out for was justified, especially if you carry on regardless while preaching to everyone else
about what not to do or to do, for one thing, there's more.

Vintage

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:47 pm

Harry has been pussy whipped... and she is definitely controlling him...!

Isnt it common for controlling people to isolate their partners from their friends and family so as to exert maximum control...?

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker on Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:28 pm

The British press are a bunch of vultures.

Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:42 pm

The UK press were very favourable towards her... but then she started waltzing around like she owned the place and behaving like a diva... since then, people aren't that interested in her any more...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage on Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:58 pm

Lurker wrote:The British press are a bunch of vultures.
Couldn't agree more, where you see vultures there are usually something to prey on.
Some 'newspapers' print out and out lies I've seen some this week declaring Prince Philips death and Prince Charles who has also cut Camilla out of his will, they are not British papers. The British papers will print where there's a smidgen of truth and some will embellish the fact out of all proportion and won't shut up about it. I don't think many people read the later and even fewer would actually take it as gospel when they do read it.
The British public can see for themselves and make their own minds up, many people can add various actions up and come up with pretty good answer all by themselves.

Vintage

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:08 pm

Prince Philip's death is actually a twitter based rumour...

Although it is quite likely that he is gravely I'll and of deteriorating health...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:34 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Harry has been pussy whipped... and she is definitely controlling him...!

Isnt it common for controlling people to isolate their partners from their friends and family so as to exert maximum control...?

Another one who just swallows RW media vitriol Rolling Eyes

"The beginning of wisdom is the definition of terms" Socrates
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:47 pm

I dont read and daily newspaper...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV on Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:27 pm

I'm sure there are several other factors involved in their decision to leave the royal family.

It's possible that they got so bored of people screaming at them that "the end of the monarchy is nigh" that they decided to cut loose. They don't want to be around if/when it actually happens as they know they will get a large proportion of the blame.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage on Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:42 pm

No, its about the money, You get an allowance and do the job, boring or not meeting the peasants in walkabouts, pretending to be interested in some machinery or whatever but just think if only you could make many times your royal allowance by endorsements and appearances with luvvies on the back of your status while doing only the more favourable royal engagements, its a no brainer  isn't it. Oh of course not getting paid by the tax payers
just an allowance from daddy.
The modern monarchy  - Kardashians style.

Vintage

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers on Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:13 pm

Lurker wrote:The British press are a bunch of vultures.

That's ridiculous claim based on a complete ignorance of the facts.

"The British press" includes many superb provincial morning, evening and weekly newspapers that do a tremendous job, not only in reporting local news and current affairs but also holding to account local  and regional authorities, businesses and other bodies that affect our daily lives and well-being.

I'm sure that local newspapers and TV and radio stations in the USA do exactly the same.

And our national press, for all its faults, does much the same thing so far as government and major institutions are concerned.

I would imagine that your own geniuine knowledge of British newspapers is based largely if not entirely on the partisan views expressed in social media sites such as this- by posters of all political persuasions.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum