NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is tactical voting and why is it bad for democracy?

+4
Eilzel
Maddog
Ben Reilly
eddie
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What is tactical voting and why is it bad for democracy? Empty What is tactical voting and why is it bad for democracy?

Post by eddie Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:28 pm

What is tactical voting and why is it bad for democracy? Ecb1ef10

Tactical voting is not likely to disappear any time soon. As the country remains more divided than ever over Brexit, there has been an increase in tactical voting websites to help voters make their decisions. Yet the difficulty in predicting how people plan to vote, has meant that different tactical voting websites have made different recommendations. Its high time that we resolve this broken system of voting.

How can we change this?

We need an electoral system that works for voters, not one that voters have to try to workaround. Under a proportional system, the need for of tactical voting massively drops. That’s because, as there is more than one winner in each area, unless you decide to vote for a tiny fringe party there is a high chance you will get someone elected to represent you. The Single Transferable Vote (STV) form of proportional representation is even better as you can write down back up choices in case your first choice doesn’t get enough votes. STV gives people the chance to vote for their preferred candidate without the fear that their vote will go to waste.

It is now more important than ever, that the public is involved in decisions being made for the future of our country. With a voting system that allows people’s voices to be heard, we can introduce a fairer democracy.

”It is a damning indictment of an electoral system that it makes its voters change their behaviour to work around its failings”

https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/what-is-tactical-voting-and-why-is-it-bad-for-democracy/

I understand why people do it, but for me, I would never, ever, vote tactically. I have to stay true to what I believe.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

What is tactical voting and why is it bad for democracy? Empty Re: What is tactical voting and why is it bad for democracy?

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:31 pm

It's even worse in America's elections, where generally, you get a choice between two candidates and often find yourself either picking the lesser of two evils, or left with no say in your own government.

Plus, the two major parties have such entrenched fundraising networks that I would bet there's a good half of the voting public that thinks the Republicans and Democrats are the only two parties.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

What is tactical voting and why is it bad for democracy? Empty Re: What is tactical voting and why is it bad for democracy?

Post by Maddog Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:32 pm

Tactical voting is hypocritical.

Vote for what you believe, and let the chips fall where they may.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:57 pm

Maddog wrote:Tactical voting is hypocritical.

Exactly that.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:20 pm

Tactical voting is simply trying to get most of what you want.

If I agree with Jill Stein 98 percent and Hillary Clinton 92 percent, and Donald Trump 23 percent, but Stein has no chance of winning, then voting for Clinton gives me a chance of having 92 percent of what I want rather than 23 percent.

I'd be a fool to quibble so much over that six percentage points of disagreement that I don't do anything to keep Trump out of office.

I'm can't be an idealist or a perfectionist when millions of people's health care is at stake.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:51 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:

If I agree with Jill Stein 98 percent and Hillary Clinton 92 percent, and Donald Trump 23 percent, but Stein has no chance of winning, then voting for Clinton gives me a chance of having 92 percent of what I want rather than 23 percent.

I'd be a fool to quibble so much over that six percentage points of disagreement that I don't do anything to keep Trump out of office.

I'm can't be an idealist or a perfectionist when millions of people's health care is at stake.

It's rewarding those that don't represent you best, with your vote.

I would say that 98-92 is so close that I would pick the person who's the least shitty of a human, which would mean Jill Stein.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:17 pm

First Past the Post is bad for democracy.

However, I always voted Liberal (until now) in GEs despite my area being forever Labour and the liberals not even running in locals.

However, in this one election I think tactical voting is more reasonable since the election is really all about Brexit.

I'll be voting Labour this time anyway, since the Liberals have becoming a idealogically bankrupt party. How I miss Clegg and Kennedy...
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:32 pm

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

I would say that 98-92 is so close that I would  pick the person who's the least shitty of a human, which would mean Jill Stein.  

I don't know what makes Stein a less-shitty human being than Hilary Clinton -- what makes you say that?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:36 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

I would say that 98-92 is so close that I would  pick the person who's the least shitty of a human, which would mean Jill Stein.  

I don't know what makes Stein a less-shitty human being than Hilary Clinton -- what makes you say that?

Jesus you're biased. Even most of the people I know that voted for her think she is a shitty human being.

Let's just leave it at that.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:37 pm

Also: “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

Voting for someone who has no chance of winning is little better than doing nothing. I'm not going to chance a monster like Trump getting into office and ruining real people's lives over a slight ideological difference of opinion.

I would have happily voted for Mitt Romney, John McCain or even George W. Bush over Trump. Because there is a difference, and because elections really do have consequences.

And I will never understand helping a horrible person gain immense power out of some sense of idealism. That's like letting someone murder your family because you don't believe in violence.

Last edited by Ben Reilly on Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:38 pm

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Jesus you're biased. Even most of the people I know that voted for her think she is a shitty human being.

Most of the people you know means two things, Jack and shit, and Jack's left town.

I want reasons, not an appeal to popular opinion.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:43 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Most of the people you know means two things, Jack and shit, and Jack's left town.

Try using Google. There are plenty of articles that explain why she is so disliked and touch on her behavior that creates that extreme dislike.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:30 am

All manner of tactical tricks are being played by the politicians themselves. Very cynical, they are in no position to preach at us.

Donors and financial backers like to call the shots and dictate T's & C's of how their money should be spent. They focus on marginal seats & pump all the money there. All sorts of deals are being cut, if the stories coming thru are true.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:13 pm

Jules wrote:All manner of tactical tricks are being played by the politicians themselves. Very cynical, they are in no position to preach at us.

Donors and financial backers like to call the shots and dictate T's & C's of how their money should be spent. They focus on marginal seats & pump all the money there. All sorts of deals are being cut, if the stories coming thru are true.

Yet there is a small group of politicians that state as much. But supporting them is not "tactical".

They also tend to be honest and not promise goodies in exchange for support. That's not going to get them anywhere with the "tactical" voters.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:29 pm

There are two distinct themes rolled into one - the General Election and Brexit.  Any GE is already a big event in its own right. Throw Brexit into the mix and you're talking 'seismic'!  

The conflicting interests can pull communities, families, couples, & even individuals ... in two different directions.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:40 pm

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Try using Google. There are plenty of articles that explain why she is so disliked and touch on her behavior that creates that extreme dislike.  

I know she stayed with Bill when he cheated on her. I know she was investigated by the Republicans for decades but never charged with a crime. What else is there?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:59 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

I know she stayed with Bill when he cheated on her. I know she was investigated by the Republicans for decades but never charged with a crime. What else is there?

She helped and covered for Bill, when other women accused him of his "indiscretions" too.

She knew Bill treated his "Bimbos" like shit and she helped cover for him.

She treated everyone around her like a piece of shit because they were beneath her.

Again, do some research on her with an open mind.

Or don't.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:59 pm

Jules wrote:All manner of tactical tricks are being played by the politicians themselves. Very cynical, they are in no position to preach at us.

That’s got nothing to do with voters voting tactically. Unless I’m not understanding you?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:02 pm

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/05/yes-hillary-was-an-enabler-213919

I did some work for you.

But I can't read it for you. That's on you.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:15 pm

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

She helped and covered for Bill, when other women accused him of his "indiscretions" too.

She treated everyone around her like a piece of shit because they were beneath her.

Or don't.

I would honestly say that I don't give a shit about any of that, full stop.

I look at electing a president the way a bank looks at hiring a manager. I don't care if his or her personal life is a complete mess, I want to know if he or she is qualified to do the job I need done.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:18 pm

Ben...Trouble is, if a person has a chaotic, troubled and shitty personal life, it generally seems to follow that they’re a chaotic, troubled and shitty person.

You wouldn’t marry a shitty person if they acted shitty at work - which is the other way round to your thinking.

And going by that thinking, people should stop attacking Trump for his personal life, non?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:24 pm

eddie wrote:Ben...Trouble is, if a person has a chaotic, troubled and shitty personal life, it generally seems to follow that they’re a chaotic, troubled and shitty person.

You wouldn’t marry a shitty person if they acted shitty at work - which is the other way round to your thinking.

And going by that thinking, people should stop attacking Trump for his personal life, non?

I don't attack him for his personal life. He could be (and actually has been) cheating on Melania with multiple women, and I wouldn't care; I would only care about how he did his job as president.

Just as I wouldn't want my employer to judge me on how I acted off the clock, I don't judge politicians by how they behave in their personal lives -- unless they're hypocrites, of course, and actually ran on being a stand-up person when they're really not.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:40 pm

“ unless they're hypocrites, of course, and actually ran on being a stand-up person when they're really not.”

And therein, lies the rub.
Some people don’t think Hilary Clinton is a stand-up person.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:43 pm

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Or don't.

Yeo, she isn’t a woman I’d like look up to in any capacity, so not someone I’d vote for.

But we are side-stepping the topic, this is about tactical voting.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:50 pm

eddie wrote:“ unless they're hypocrites, of course, and actually ran on being a stand-up person when they're really not.”

But she never ran on being some sort of moral pillar -- her campaign was focused on her ideas for the future of America, which I liked and which was why I voted for her without hesitation.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:17 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:“ unless they're hypocrites, of course, and actually ran on being a stand-up person when they're really not.”

But she never ran on being some sort of moral pillar -- her campaign was focused on her ideas for the future of America, which I liked and which was why I voted for her without hesitation.

No, I will be fair, you did show me a link to her proposed policies and I did like some of them, not gonna lie.
I just don’t like her.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:47 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Or don't.

I look at electing a president the way a bank looks at hiring a manager. I don't care if his or her personal life is a complete mess, I want to know if he or she is qualified to do the job I need done.

You asked what made Jill Stein a less shitty human being than Hillary. I showed you, then you said it doesn't matter.

Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:48 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

No, I will be fair, you did show me a link to her proposed policies and I did like some of them, not gonna lie.
I just don’t like her.

I don't particularly like her either -- I find her the typical fakey politician.

But she didn't run on a pledge to take away health care from millions of Americans and to build a wall between us and Mexico. She was the only one who could beat the guy who did. So I voted for her.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:49 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

I just don’t like her.

You're like a lot of women. You know what kind of women she is and she would walk all over you to get ahead, while professing to be a part of the "sisterhood".
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:52 pm

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Or don't.

You asked what made Jill Stein a less shitty human being than Hillary. I showed you, then you said it doesn't matter.

I thought you would bring up a difference that mattered to me, that's all. Do you hire people, and if so, do you do character checks on them?

Because that's not very freedom-loving, is it? To say that because someone has a victimless moral failing in your opinion, that they're not qualified for a job that has nothing to do with their personal life?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:53 pm

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

I just don’t like her.

You're like a lot of women. You know what kind of women she is and she would walk all over you to get ahead, while professing to be a part of the "sisterhood".

What do you mean, she's like a lot of women?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:54 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Women are better at judging other women. They know a nasty bitch when they see one.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:56 pm

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

Explain to me why she should be held accountable for the sexual abuses of her husband?

The dislikes of her are based on her being loyal to her husband

I have never understood this.

Have you been faithful?

The vast majority of people have not been faithful in the US

She has been punished for simple stikcing by the person she loves

Is oit wrong to still love someone, when they abused your love?

Are now we to judge how she should act on this?

In her position we would all act different, but we are not her and yet the nation acts as if they can decide

It shows they have no clue of love

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:57 pm

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

Women are better at judging other women. They know a nasty bitch when they see one.

Really? How?

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:02 pm

phildidge wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Really? How?

Estrogen?

Breasts?

Vaginas?

The real reason is that most men tend to be less hard on women, and treat them differently. That results in men and women often coming to different conclusions about a woman, and her antics.

The most common example is in child rearing. Daughters will generally steer clear of mama when thy are trying to get away with something. Dad's an easier target. That doesn't change as they age.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:03 pm

phildidge wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Explain to me why she should be held accountable for the sexual abuses of her husband?

Have you been faithful?

In her position we would all act different, but we are not her and yet the nation acts as if they can decide

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/05/yes-hillary-was-an-enabler-213919
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:07 pm

Maddog wrote:
phildidge wrote:

Really? How?

Estrogen?

Breasts?

Vaginas?

The real reason is that most men tend to be less hard on women, and treat them differently. That results in men and women often coming to different conclusions about a woman, and her antics.

The most common example is in child rearing. Daughters will generally steer clear of mama when thy are trying to get away with something. Dad's an easier target. That doesn't change as they age.    

So you are saying males with breasts based on estrogen drugs can judge females?

I mean WTF

I will ask again how can females being females judge females based on their sex, based on your argument?

You do realise you are presenting the most unscientific unbiologically load of bullshit known to human history?

All you are doing is going off a perceived view of women, based off by some women

When in reality you knowledge of women is so small. It amounts to double figures out of hundreds of millions and yet you have the gall to say. Women know other women. When they only know the small number they have met in life?

Do you noty see how these kind of sterotypes have been formed against blacks, females, gays etc in history. With your kind of thining?

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:08 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

I thought you would bring up a difference that mattered to me, that's all. Do you hire people, and if so, do you do character checks on them?

Because that's not very freedom-loving, is it? To say that because someone has a victimless moral failing in your opinion, that they're not qualified for a job that has nothing to do with their personal life?

How do I know what matters to you in a human.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:09 pm

phildidge wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Estrogen?

Breasts?

Vaginas?

I mean WTF

I will ask again how can females being females judge females based on their sex, based on your argument?

You do realise you are presenting the most unscientific unbiologically load of bullshit known to human history?

All you are doing is going off a perceived view of women, based off by some women

When in reality you knowledge of women is so small. It amounts to double figures out of hundreds of millions and yet you have the gall to say. Women know other women. When they only know the small number they have met in life?

Do you noty see how these kind of sterotypes have been formed against blacks, females, gays etc in history. With your kind of thining?

Rolling Eyes
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:09 pm

Maddog wrote:
phildidge wrote:

Have you been faithful?

How in fact does that answer any of my points above?

That is a political opinion

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:11 pm

phildidge wrote:
Maddog wrote:

It explains that Hillary was not some innocent victim here. She did contribute to other women becoming victims.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:13 pm

Maddog wrote:
phildidge wrote:

I mean WTF

Rolling Eyes

You made the view made, so own it

If you want to run away with your tail between your legs when you make unscientific views on sterotypes and even worse use estrogen
You then make the view that males on this can judge women
Is that what you are claiming?
because the reality is you are never treating males and females equally based on their mental attributes
We all know we are phsyically different and we all know that men are more prone to violence. We also know females are more prone to nature instincts. But and its a big but. This is not science. Its based on stats
You just fucked all over women with your views as a male. Based on your views as a male

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:13 pm

"Hillary was always with the sisterhood, except when one of the sisters piped up about Bill having sex with her or grossly mistreating her, in which case Hillary was with the patriarchy — i.e., her powerful, entitled husband — all the way.

It wasn’t a Clinton enemy that came up with the phrase “bimbo eruption,” but an ally and friend, Betsey Wright. The word “bimbo,” by the way, says it all about the contempt Clinton World had for women with the poor judgment to succumb to Bill’s wiles."
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:14 pm

Maddog wrote:
phildidge wrote:

It explains that Hillary was not some innocent victim here. She did contribute to other women becoming victims.

In any view did i claim she was innocent?

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:14 pm

phildidge wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Rolling Eyes

You made the view made, so own it

If you want to run away with your tail between your legs when you make unscientific views on sterotypes and even worse use estrogen
You then make the view that males on this can judge women
Is that what you are claiming?
because the reality is you are never treating males and females equally based on their mental attributes
We all know we are phsyically different and we all know that men are more prone to violence. We also know females are more prone to nature instincts. But and its a big but. This is not science. Its based on stats
You just fucked all over women with your views as a male. Based on your views as a male

Rolling Eyes
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:15 pm

phildidge wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Phil wrote:    She has been punished for simple stikcing by the person she loves      
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:16 pm

Maddog wrote:"Hillary was always with the sisterhood, except when one of the sisters piped up about Bill having sex with her or grossly mistreating her, in which case Hillary was with the patriarchy — i.e., her powerful, entitled husband — all the way.

It wasn’t a Clinton enemy that came up with the phrase “bimbo eruption,” but an ally and friend, Betsey Wright. The word “bimbo,” by the way, says it all about the contempt Clinton World had for women with the poor judgment to succumb to Bill’s wiles."

You really have no idea about women infactuated do you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:16 pm

phildidge wrote:
Maddog wrote:"Hillary was always with the sisterhood, except when one of the sisters piped up about Bill having sex with her or grossly mistreating her, in which case Hillary was with the patriarchy — i.e., her powerful, entitled husband — all the way.

Please teach me about women. Rolling Eyes
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:16 pm

Maddog wrote:
phildidge wrote:

Phil wrote:    She has been punished for simple stikcing by the person she loves      

How is that me claiming she is innocent?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:17 pm

Maddog wrote:
phildidge wrote:

Please teach me about women. Rolling Eyes

Maybe you should listen to women

Have you tried this?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next