NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daily exposure to blue light may accelerate aging, even if it doesn't reach your eyes

3 posters

Go down

Daily exposure to blue light may accelerate aging, even if it doesn't reach your eyes Empty Daily exposure to blue light may accelerate aging, even if it doesn't reach your eyes

Post by eddie Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:43 pm

New research at Oregon State University suggests that the blue wavelengths produced by light-emitting diodes damage cells in the brain as well as retinas.

The study, published today in Aging and Mechanisms of Disease, involved a widely used organism, Drosophila melanogaster, the common fruit fly, an important model organism because of the cellular and developmental mechanisms it shares with other animals and humans.

Jaga Giebultowicz, a researcher in the OSU College of Science who studies biological clocks, led a research collaboration that examined how flies responded to daily 12-hour exposures to blue LED light -- similar to the prevalent blue wavelength in devices like phones and tablets -- and found that the light accelerated aging.

Flies subjected to daily cycles of 12 hours in light and 12 hours in darkness had shorter lives compared to flies kept in total darkness or those kept in light with the blue wavelengths filtered out. The flies exposed to blue light showed damage to their retinal cells and brain neurons and had impaired locomotion -- the flies' ability to climb the walls of their enclosures, a common behavior, was diminished.

Some of the flies in the experiment were mutants that do not develop eyes, and even those eyeless flies displayed brain damage and locomotion impairments, suggesting flies didn't have to see the light to be harmed by it.

Natural light, Giebultowicz notes, is crucial for the body's circadian rhythm -- the 24-hour cycle of physiological processes such as brain wave activity, hormone production and cell regeneration that are important factors in feeding and sleeping patterns.

"But there is evidence suggesting that increased exposure to artificial light is a risk factor for sleep and circadian disorders," she said. "And with the prevalent use of LED lighting and device displays, humans are subjected to increasing amounts of light in the blue spectrum since commonly used LEDs emit a high fraction of blue light. But this technology, LED lighting, even in most developed countries, has not been used long enough to know its effects across the human lifespan."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/10/191017101253.htm
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Daily exposure to blue light may accelerate aging, even if it doesn't reach your eyes Empty Re: Daily exposure to blue light may accelerate aging, even if it doesn't reach your eyes

Post by Fred Moletrousers Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:36 am

I age a couple of years whenever I see a blue light flashing in my rear view mirror on the M1.....
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Daily exposure to blue light may accelerate aging, even if it doesn't reach your eyes Empty Re: Daily exposure to blue light may accelerate aging, even if it doesn't reach your eyes

Post by Andy Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:17 pm

Also from watching too many blue movies.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:26 pm

Andy wrote:Also from watching too many blue movies.

You do your thing, Andy...and I'll do mine. I like driving a BMW; you like watching nubile young ladies being rogered....

Horses for courses, old boy. Horses for courses.......
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:38 pm

I dont need to watch blue movies.
I used to have sexual fantasies.
Nowadays, I AM one.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down