NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Royal Mint BLOCKS Enid Blyton commemorative coin because bosses think she is a 'racist, sexist and a homophobe' and fear backlash

4 posters

Go down

Royal Mint BLOCKS Enid Blyton commemorative coin because bosses think she is a 'racist, sexist and a homophobe' and fear backlash Empty Royal Mint BLOCKS Enid Blyton commemorative coin because bosses think she is a 'racist, sexist and a homophobe' and fear backlash

Post by Guest Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:29 am

She has sold more books than any other children's author, enchanting millions of young readers with tales of adventure, ginger beer and buns.

But Enid Blyton was denied the honour of a commemorative coin after Royal Mint bosses branded the creator of the Famous Five and Secret Seven novels a 'racist homophobe', newly-released documents reveal.

The snub has infuriated fans of the Noddy author who insist her books – which have sold 600 million copies to date and still sell hundreds of thousands a year – have inspired generations of children to read.

The idea of a commemorative 50p coin for Blyton was discussed at a meeting of the Royal Mint's advisory committee in December 2016.

The meeting's minutes, obtained under freedom of information laws, reveal that members dismissed the plan because 'she [Blyton] is known to have been a racist, sexist, homophobe and not a very well-regarded writer'.

They also reveal that the committee, which was considering producing the coin to mark the 50th anniversary of Blyton's death in 1968, was worried about a potential backlash if members went ahead with the proposal.

The minutes state: 'Deep concern that this theme will bring adverse reaction… concern over the backlash that may result from this.' The committee decided to seek other subjects to celebrate.

Blyton, who published her first book in 1922 and went on to write 700 titles, is ranked seventh most successful author of all time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7391487/Royal-Mint-blocks-Enid-Blyton-commemorative-coin-bosses-brand-racist-anti-gay.html

Back to top Go down

Royal Mint BLOCKS Enid Blyton commemorative coin because bosses think she is a 'racist, sexist and a homophobe' and fear backlash Empty Re: Royal Mint BLOCKS Enid Blyton commemorative coin because bosses think she is a 'racist, sexist and a homophobe' and fear backlash

Post by nicko Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:45 pm

More PC bollocks, I despair !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Royal Mint BLOCKS Enid Blyton commemorative coin because bosses think she is a 'racist, sexist and a homophobe' and fear backlash Empty Re: Royal Mint BLOCKS Enid Blyton commemorative coin because bosses think she is a 'racist, sexist and a homophobe' and fear backlash

Post by Original Quill Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:52 pm

The meeting's minutes, obtained under freedom of information laws, reveal that members dismissed the plan because 'she [Blyton] is known to have been a racist, sexist, homophobe and not a very well-regarded writer'.

They also reveal that the committee, which was considering producing the coin to mark the 50th anniversary of Blyton's death in 1968, was worried about a potential backlash if members went ahead with the proposal.

I would like to see the specific minutes saying this, rather than some writers summary conclusion. Even when the writer quotes the minutes, he chooses a passage that speaks only of a "theme" rather than giving us the particulars.

Look out for dangerous pronouns.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:43 pm

Sounds like a lot of PC bullshit nonsense if it’s true then the people who decided this are offended by...what exactly?

More offended mamby-pamby babies. Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:47 pm

eddie wrote:Sounds like a lot of PC bullshit nonsense  if it’s true then the people who decided this are offended by...what exactly?

That's why I doubt the facts...which they seem to hide and switch. Why not simply present the minutes and let us see for ourselves?

Too dangerous?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:31 pm

eddie wrote:Sounds like a lot of PC bullshit nonsense  if it’s true then the people who decided this are offended by...what exactly?

Exactly and this insanity is getting worse.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:35 pm

phildidge wrote:

Exactly and this insanity is getting worse.

It really irritates me. I cannot stand this “offended by fucking everything” culture.
I stand by what my signature says.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:42 pm

Giving a glance at these controversies, Sambo is hated for his "ugly black face" and runs away, until the rain washes the black off, giving him a pink face and making everybody like him.

A boy character tells a girl character that she'd better stop thinking girls are as good as boys. Okay, I'd need context on that, to be fair.

Enough to deny her a commemorative coin? I don't know; it sounds like her books and stories meant an awful lot to many people. I'll have to bow out on this one, but I do think each side has a point.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:56 pm

It was the times back then. She didn’t mean anything by it. I read all her books and never grew up racist or thinking Les she of black people. Or boys.

Just stupid offended twats at it again. Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down