NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Left-wing vs right-wing: it’s complicated

+2
'Wolfie
Syl
6 posters

Go down

Left-wing vs right-wing: it’s complicated Empty Left-wing vs right-wing: it’s complicated

Post by Guest Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:59 am

Left-wing vs right-wing: it’s complicated EB69vGjXsAANwx9?format=jpg&name=900x900

YouGov shows that the left-wing to right-wing political spectrum is actually much more complex than previously thought when it comes to public opinion
A new angle of attack from Jeremy Corbyn seems to be that Boris Johnson is presiding over the most right-wing government in living memory.

That might be a helpful move if politicians had an accurate assessment of where the public stands on the left-right spectrum. But if the reaction in Westminster to YouGov survey data from earlier this week showing that 75% of Brits (including 61% of Labour voters) support the PM’s proposed expansion of stop and search powers is anything to go by, they may well not.

Framing politics in terms of left-wing and right-wing might be simple for politicians, and comforting to activists, but it seems that these terms just aren’t that useful for talking about - or indeed to - the general public.

A new YouGov study reveals that the political wing spectrum is poorly understood and also that huge numbers of people don’t hold consistent left- and right-wing outlooks.

(Please note this is all before even getting into the argument about whether the left- and right-wing scale should be accompanied by an authoritarian/libertarian axis. The data explored below is all public opinion regarding each policy we tested; YouGov has made no declaration that any given policy is left-wing, right-wing or otherwise.)

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/08/13/left-wing-vs-right-wing-its-complicated

More to read on the link

Back to top Go down

Left-wing vs right-wing: it’s complicated Empty Re: Left-wing vs right-wing: it’s complicated

Post by Syl Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:06 pm

I agree and disagree with points from both sides...as I imagine most sensible people do.
Thats the problem with putting people in labelled boxes......it never gives a true picture. snobby
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Left-wing vs right-wing: it’s complicated Empty Re: Left-wing vs right-wing: it’s complicated

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:58 pm

Smile

Even more reason why the "political compass" model is more relevent tnen a simplified "political spectrum"...

And why I prefer to treat people as individuals, as the various issues change on here..

Maybe it's time to introduce a 3D model of the "political compass"  --  now what to have as the 'Z' axis  ?
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:42 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Smile

Even more reason why the "political compass" model is more relevent tnen a simplified "political spectrum"...

And why I prefer to treat people as individuals, as the various issues change on here..

Maybe it's time to introduce a 3D model of the "political compass"  --  now what to have as the 'Z' axis  ?

Rolling Eyes
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:49 pm

https://www.politicalcompass.org/uselection2020
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:09 pm

I'm highly distrustful of survey research studies in the wake of the 2016 presidential election. It looks like people are fibbing, for whatever reasons, in their answers to questions.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:16 pm

Maddog wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Smile

That's correct, Dingus...

That's why I don't attack all Yanks, or even all southern rednecks, based on whatever stupidities you come out with this week..

Unlike certain Brits on here who regularly berate all lefties on one news item, or attack all Aussies or Yanks based on certain individuals..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:25 pm

You what? You regularly berate groups of people for being "right wing", whether they are or not.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:45 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Smile

That's correct,  Dingus...

That's why I don't attack all Yanks,  or even all southern rednecks, based on whatever stupidities you come out with this week..

Unlike certain Brits on here who regularly berate all lefties on one news item, or attack all Aussies or Yanks based on certain individuals..

You use all sorts of adjectives/insults based on your idea of someone's political leanings.

It's your standard MO.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:00 am

Maddog wrote:
WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Smile

That's correct,  Dingus...

That's why I don't attack all Yanks,  or even all southern rednecks, based on whatever stupidities you come out with this week..

You use all sorts of adjectives/insults based on your idea of someone's political leanings.

It's your standard MO.  

Cool

Not quite right, shithead...

I tailor my insults to whatever rubbish my opponents have posted..

Politics is simply one of several parameters that I might respond to.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:50 pm

Syl wrote:I agree and disagree with points from both sides...as I imagine most sensible people do.
Thats the problem with putting people in labelled boxes......it never gives a true picture. snobby

Exactly! Labels, labels everywhere. Dangerous.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:36 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

It's your standard MO.  

Cool

Not quite right,  shithead...

I tailor my insults to whatever rubbish my opponents have posted..

Politics is simply one of several parameters that I might respond to.

Oh yes, you're ad hominems span the spectrum. You should be so proud of yourself. Rolling Eyes
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down