NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trigger Warnings Are Trivially Helpful at Reducing Negative Affect, Intrusive Thoughts, and Avoidance

4 posters

Go down

Trigger Warnings Are Trivially Helpful at Reducing Negative Affect, Intrusive Thoughts, and Avoidance Empty Trigger Warnings Are Trivially Helpful at Reducing Negative Affect, Intrusive Thoughts, and Avoidance

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:09 am

Students are requesting and professors issuing trigger warnings—content warnings cautioning that college course material may cause distress. Trigger warnings are meant to alleviate distress students may otherwise experience, but multiple lines of research suggest trigger warnings could either increase or decrease symptoms of distress. We examined how these theories translate to this applied situation. Across six experiments, we gave some college students and Internet users a trigger warning but not others, exposed everyone to one of a variety of negative materials, then measured symptoms of distress. To better estimate trigger warnings’ effects, we conducted mini meta-analyses on our data, revealing trigger warnings had trivial effects—people reported similar levels of negative affect, intrusions, and avoidance regardless of whether they had received a trigger warning. Moreover, these patterns were similar among people with a history of trauma. These results suggest a trigger warning is neither meaningfully helpful nor harmful.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/2167702619827018?journalCode=cpxa&

Back to top Go down

Trigger Warnings Are Trivially Helpful at Reducing Negative Affect, Intrusive Thoughts, and Avoidance Empty Re: Trigger Warnings Are Trivially Helpful at Reducing Negative Affect, Intrusive Thoughts, and Avoidance

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:51 pm

Never thought trigger warnings were a good idea. I liken it to when I got in my first auto accident and my dad told me I should get right back out and drive again.

Repeated exposure to anything will inevitably desensitize you to it.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Trigger Warnings Are Trivially Helpful at Reducing Negative Affect, Intrusive Thoughts, and Avoidance Empty Re: Trigger Warnings Are Trivially Helpful at Reducing Negative Affect, Intrusive Thoughts, and Avoidance

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:54 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Never thought trigger warnings were a good idea. I liken it to when I got in my first auto accident and my dad told me I should get right back out and drive again.

You are 100% correct Ben

Some left wing psychologists have been trying to argue this for years and not been listen to Ben, As people who suffer truama. Are not hid away with trigger warnings. Its not how you help them. This is where i applaud thescientific left for standing up to the far left on this. As its the far left creating such poor ideas around this

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:55 pm

Or should always really examine what triggers them.
It makes one grow and learn.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:56 pm

eddie wrote:Or should always really examine what triggers them.

Also a great point but rewarded ben my green here, for his great point. You deserve one too on that

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:08 pm

phildidge wrote:
eddie wrote:Or should always really examine what triggers them.

Also a great point but rewarded ben my green here, for his great point. You deserve one too on that

Ah never mind. I prefer wearing the colour red, to green, anyway. Razz
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:11 pm

eddie wrote:
phildidge wrote:

Gave you a thanks instead  Laughing

Hmmmm, which makes me think, why is red seen as a sign of wrong doing here and green as good?

Its actually quite broad across the spectrun aspect view. Is it because red is associated with danger?

Any takers?

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:38 pm

phildidge wrote:
eddie wrote:

Hmmmm, which makes me think, why is red seen as a sign of wrong doing here and green as good?

Its actually quite broad across the spectrun aspect view. Is it because red is associated with danger?

Any takers?

red is anger
red is stop
red is danger

green is safety
green is go
green is calming

but remember,,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpiIWMWWVco

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:45 pm

gelico wrote:
phildidge wrote:

Any takers?

red is anger
red is stop
red is danger

green is safety
green is go
green is calming

but remember,,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpiIWMWWVco

lol!

All joking aide though Gelico

Poppies are red and a sign of peace
Red lips are evolutionary based around attraction with women. Even some monkees have red bottoms. lol
Most of the human body is centered around red pigmentation
I mean even fire, is more a combination of red and yekllow that is orange
Its humans that have constructed green to mean safe and red as danger

I guess green boogers do not hold the same level of fear as fire red does lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:18 am

I love red. It’s a very sexy and vibrant colour.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:22 am

eddie wrote:I love red. It’s a very sexy and vibrant colour.

So do I love the colour Eddie

Night

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:26 am

And if people do not believe me how indoctrinated and racist this new genertion is?

Trigger Warnings Are Trivially Helpful at Reducing Negative Affect, Intrusive Thoughts, and Avoidance D-Q3mKnUEAAsRYJ

Remind you of anyone here?

https://twitter.com/crankyhumorist/status/1145101342697897984

Night everyone

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:41 am

White people can be exhausting? Oh well, I'm glad we're good at something. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:47 am

Ben Reilly wrote:Never thought trigger warnings were a good idea. I liken it to when I got in my first auto accident and my dad told me I should get right back out and drive again.

That's not the same thing surely. If your dad had told you before you drove that you might have an accident, that would be a better comparison.

Aren't trigger warnings just the sort of thing I've requested on here? For example, if someone is going to post an article which contains distressing images, they should put a warning beforehand.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:50 am

Raggamuffin wrote:

That's not the same thing surely. If your dad had told you before you drove that you might have an accident, that would be a better comparison.

Aren't trigger warnings just the sort of thing I've requested on here? For example, if someone is going to post an article which contains distressing images, they should put a warning beforehand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:58 am

Fine, but in exposure therapy the person knows they're going to be exposed to things they find upsetting - like having to handle a spider to get over their arachnophobia, for example.

I think trigger warnings are good. Forewarned is forearmed as they say.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:04 am

I just thought - maybe I should have put a trigger warning on my last post as it mentions the S word. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down