NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

POLL: Do you think the mods at NewsFix enforce the rules fairly?

+13
'Wolfie
gelico
nicko
Eilzel
Cass
JulesV
Fred Moletrousers
Tommy Monk
Victorismyhero
Andy
eddie
Syl
Ben Reilly
17 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

DO THE MODS ENFORCE THE RULES FAIRLY?

POLL: Do you think the mods at NewsFix enforce the rules fairly? - Page 3 Vote_lcap56%POLL: Do you think the mods at NewsFix enforce the rules fairly? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 56% 
[ 9 ]
POLL: Do you think the mods at NewsFix enforce the rules fairly? - Page 3 Vote_lcap31%POLL: Do you think the mods at NewsFix enforce the rules fairly? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 5 ]
POLL: Do you think the mods at NewsFix enforce the rules fairly? - Page 3 Vote_lcap6%POLL: Do you think the mods at NewsFix enforce the rules fairly? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
POLL: Do you think the mods at NewsFix enforce the rules fairly? - Page 3 Vote_lcap6%POLL: Do you think the mods at NewsFix enforce the rules fairly? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 16

Poll closed

POLL: Do you think the mods at NewsFix enforce the rules fairly? - Page 3 Empty POLL: Do you think the mods at NewsFix enforce the rules fairly?

Post by Ben Reilly Wed May 08, 2019 6:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

For smelly.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

POLL: Do you think the mods at NewsFix enforce the rules fairly? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Do you think the mods at NewsFix enforce the rules fairly?

Post by Syl Fri May 24, 2019 12:37 am

If it aint broke dont fix it. Wink
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

POLL: Do you think the mods at NewsFix enforce the rules fairly? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Do you think the mods at NewsFix enforce the rules fairly?

Post by JulesV Fri May 24, 2019 1:45 am

The Devil, You Know wrote:my opinion is, and always has been, why do you need mods on a forum that has less than a dozen regulars.

it's bound to be inconsistent.
Even if there are 'numerous' mods, the forum founder can still modify the decisions they make, and he can upgrade or downgrade the length of bans they give. So in cases of controversy or doubt, it's still ONE person who has the final say - the owner.

Another reason why it's useful to have several mods (ideally from 2 or 3 different time zones)  is ….. remember that any forum can be maliciously flamed, spammed or hacked. It's better to have a round-the-clock mod presence to keep a quiet eye on things, so that the founder can have peace of mind even if he's away for a few days.

There is no one 'correct' formula in how to run a site,  accept that every forum founder has his/her particular own way of doing things. Cool

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri May 24, 2019 1:47 am

The Devil, You Know wrote:
Jules wrote:

Every site owner has their own way of doing things. Laughing
It's clearly a matter of personal preference that the owner likes having several mods - as simple as that.

No, the number of regulars here is nearer 2 dozen. Which is adequate.
I regard myself as a regular tho I sometimes go for days or even weeks without posting.

No forum is perfect, they all have flaws but this one ticks enough boxes for me to like it.
I must have missed all those extras. the point it still valid. One person could apply a single unified approach on sites like this and still not have enough work to do. Mostly mods are handed power to make them feel special.

Laughing

No matter how much you self-flagellate on here TDYK, this forum is still out-pacing your little cesspit by a mile...

With your 2 or 3 regular hard-bitten-racist contributors, your flopcave's so busy that you had to troll on over here to join your chum smelly', just to keep your remaining few brain cells active..

You should rename your little bolthole to 'Deano's Desert Delights'. And have a tumbleweed as your avvi'/insignia..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri May 24, 2019 8:30 pm

eddie wrote:
The Devil, You Know wrote:
Jules wrote:
The Devil, You Know wrote:my opinion is, and always has been, why do you need mods on a forum that has less than a dozen regulars. it's bound to be inconsistent.

Every site owner has their own way of doing things. Laughing
It's clearly a matter of personal preference that the owner likes having several mods - as simple as that.

No, the number of regulars here is nearer 2 dozen. Which is adequate.
I regard myself as a regular tho I sometimes go for days or even weeks without posting.

No forum is perfect, they all have flaws but this one ticks enough boxes for me to like it.
I must have missed all those extras. the point it still valid. One person could apply a single unified approach on sites like this and still not have enough work to do. Mostly mods are handed power to make them feel special.

Ah, you may be right....in which case, you must be super-duper-special because you made yourself the only mod on your forum.

Yeah, I think the rest of the mods here would back me up in saying that "special" only applies to talent when it comes to NewsFix mods; I don't ask anybody to be a mod because I want to stroke their ego.

I chose each mod here because either I or someone else convinced me that they would bring a talent to the team that we didn't already have.

I chose the people I felt had the best judgement, the ability to look at all sides of a dispute and more than anything, the ability to be fair. And I'm quite happy with my very talented team; they are indispensable.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 24, 2019 9:49 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:

Ah, you may be right....in which case, you must be super-duper-special because you made yourself the only mod on your forum.

Yeah, I think the rest of the mods here would back me up in saying that "special" only applies to talent when it comes to NewsFix mods; I don't ask anybody to be a mod because I want to stroke their ego.

I chose each mod here because either I or someone else convinced me that they would bring a talent to the team that we didn't already have.

I chose the people I felt had the best judgement, the ability to look at all sides of a dispute and more than anything, the ability to be fair. And I'm quite happy with my very talented team; they are indispensable.

You do realise that is arbitary and at least 2 of the mods I even recommended to you. Which I would take as a compliment,. being as i turned down when you asked me.

YOu know why I turned this down, because I know how people would react

Hence why I would remove myself from such a situation and declined your offer

I do th9ink you have to think about how now that you and Eddie are together, there will be a bias. You may argue both otherwise, but I have seen changes how you both act and think. No matter what you think of me. You dont actually need as many mods as you perceive to think you do. Everyone has a bias. Where you will be hard pressed not to have this within mods. I actually think you are fair, but with a male bias on mods, you dont half cut some slack with female posters, when they are in the wrong in being personnal. I think this is an inate reality of how the majority of mods are actually male. Who hold a view from a position of good. To look out for the women posters, but end up demaning them, by taking a view they are weaker than men. By this I mean, you need to start treating them on a level playing field.

For example, I can have the worst crap said about me and because I never kick off about this. You apply an uneven stance in reaction. I am often cast as mentally insane for example and again dont mind this, but you allow this to happen. Its personnal and its based more on who says something and not really on what is said.

To me the best mods are Eilzel and Victor and this would be better complimented with Cass and gelico to bring balance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri May 24, 2019 10:20 pm

For one thing, see me and eddie disagreeing about Trump and his help to farmers. Neither of us is holding back, and we're literally sitting face to face right now.

For another thing, I never said any of our mods, or myself, were free of bias. Everyone has a blind spot or whatever; I picked mods with an eye toward putting together a team that would balance one another's biases out, as much as possible.

Finally, some of my most epic clashes here have been with female members. Nems and I went round and round, and Raggs and I still do. I started a folder on my computer about Gels after her little stunt (sorry Gels, but it's true), and I fought with VOD quite a bit as well.

Didge, I like you, I'm just asking that you consider whether you're a man in a blindfold holding an elephant's tail. You're not seeing the complete picture.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 24, 2019 10:24 pm

In any case, I was asked to be a mod before we were even “friends”.
So.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 24, 2019 10:25 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:For one thing, see me and eddie disagreeing about Trump and his help to farmers. Neither of us is holding back, and we're literally sitting face to face right now.

For another thing, I never said any of our mods, or myself, were free of bias. Everyone has a blind spot or whatever; I picked mods with an eye toward putting together a team that would balance one another's biases out, as much as possible.

Finally, some of my most epic clashes here have been with female members. Nems and I went round and round, and Raggs and I still do. I started a folder on my computer about Gels after her little stunt (sorry Gels, but it's true), and I fought with VOD quite a bit as well.

Didge, I like you, I'm just asking that you consider whether you're a man in a blindfold hold an elephant's tail. You're not seeing the complete picture.

Did you actually adress any of my points or stupidly take them personally?

For you to then say I am not seeing the full picture is what Ben?

Arrogance?

I have constantly had people question my mental health on here and make views to demean this. Not once have I asked for this to be moderated. i have even called for when posters have been moderated and been out of line to me. To show compassion. What i am showing is how people allow certain views based on who says something.

Did you ever consider that you are not seeing the full picture

I am willing to admit i am not, but are you?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 24, 2019 10:29 pm

eddie wrote:In any case, I was asked to be a mod before we were even “friends”.
So.

Just sayin.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 24, 2019 10:31 pm

eddie wrote:
So.

Just sayin.

What does that prove Eddie?

Seriously?

has anyone actually questioned you being a mod here?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 24, 2019 10:33 pm

phildidge wrote:
eddie wrote:
So.

Just sayin.

Seriously?

Are you?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 24, 2019 10:35 pm

eddie wrote:
phildidge wrote:

Seriously?

Are you?

If I did, i would make it very clear

I never have

My views were actually to ben and not even you

So why are you jumping in here on this?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 24, 2019 10:48 pm

phildidge wrote:
eddie wrote:
phildidge wrote:

Seriously?

Are you?

I never have

Ah. So are you dictating the debate? Hmmmmm?
Hahahaha never mind didge. I easily bored. I’ll leave you to it.

Unless of course, I change my mind. I do that sometimes! Razz
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 24, 2019 11:00 pm

eddie wrote:
phildidge wrote:

I never have

Ah. So are you dictating the debate? Hmmmmm?
Hahahaha never mind didge. I easily bored. I’ll leave you to it.

Unless of course, I change my mind. I do that sometimes! Razz

How am I dictating anything here?

Have I said what you can debate on here?

You use the cue of the word boredom, as a get out cluase

All I know Eddie, is you used to be open and now are uttely defensive

I at least am open to be challenged, but the reality is you are not

That is plain to see

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 24, 2019 11:03 pm

Yes. You’re right didge. Always.

I hope you feel better now.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 24, 2019 11:16 pm

eddie wrote:Yes. You’re right didge. Always.

I hope you feel better now.

And this shows even more arrogance on your part

I have listened to you and taken your advice

That is not someone that thinks they are always right

When Ill, I tool your advice, as I have from others and have even had people change my views with reason

This is where we differ

I actually do take on board what people say. Its why I am now an athiest

Its why I have changed my stance on issues

Its because, unlike you, I am not closeminded

I have never been more disappointed in you, as i am now.

You used to be open minded and now close minded

I am one of the few people to admit when wrong

So I never think I am always right and for you to play off this lie, shows the pathetic childish games you play Eddie

You both lost a good friend today, someone that cared about you both

I certainly have no wish to debate on your forum anymore whan you act like dictators

You both play off childish stances to attack me

That is not people that care, but people defensive, not able to listen and see if what they might say is possible wrong

Good luck  to you both, but frankly, you have both become arrogant

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 24, 2019 11:27 pm

Okay. Sorry you’re going. Wish you well.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat May 25, 2019 5:59 am

What a drama Queen !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sat May 25, 2019 6:22 am

Yet another flounce.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat May 25, 2019 6:29 am

phildidge wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

You do realise that is arbitary and at least 2 of the mods I even recommended to you. Which I would take as a compliment,. being as i turned down when you asked me.

I do th9ink you have to think about how now that you and Eddie are together, there will be a bias. You may argue both otherwise, but I have seen changes how you both act and think. No matter what you think of me. You dont actually need as many mods as you perceive to think you do. Everyone has a bias. Where you will be hard pressed not to have this within mods. I actually think you are fair, but with a male bias on mods, you dont half cut some slack with female posters, when they are in the wrong in being personnal. I think this is an inate reality of how the majority of mods are actually male. Who hold a view from a position of good. To look out for the women posters, but end up demaning them, by taking a view they are weaker than men. By this I mean, you need to start treating them on a level playing field.

For example, I can have the worst crap said about me and because I never kick off about this. You apply an uneven stance in reaction. I am often cast as mentally insane for example and again dont mind this, but you allow this to happen. Its personnal and its based more on who says something and not really on what is said.

To me the best mods are Eilzel and Victor and this would be better complimented with Cass and gelico to bring balance.

Thanks for the vote of confidence but no way in hell would I do this and this applies to all forums and Facebook groups etc...I had a horrible, abusive Friends of the Library group in England at one of my branches and I swore never to do it again. Cost me far too much buying all the wine I needed! Besides my life is pretty hectic with work and kids and Mr. C so no thanks.

Saying that, Didge I think you need a break ok? You’re in a very stressful situation and this whole episode has obviously gotten under your skin for some reason. Let it go and go concentrate on your family and yourself. It’s why I disappeared for a while, I just wasn’t enjoying it and I had more important things and people to think of, not that I didn’t miss people here. I did. But it did me good. I really did miss talking to you about history but I needed to do some self care. And it wasn’t fun anymore. This is written with love and concern for you please understand that.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 25, 2019 7:52 am

Cass wrote:
phildidge wrote:

Thanks for the vote of confidence but no way in hell would I do this and this applies to all forums and Facebook groups etc...I had a horrible, abusive Friends of the Library group in England at one of my branches and I swore never to do it again. Cost me far too much buying all the wine I needed! Besides my life is pretty hectic with work and kids and Mr. C so no thanks.

Saying that, Didge I think you need a break ok? You’re in a very stressful situation and this whole episode has obviously gotten under your skin for some reason. Let it go and go concentrate on your family and yourself. It’s why I disappeared for a while, I just wasn’t enjoying it and I had more important things and people to think of, not that I didn’t miss people here. I did. But it did me good. I really did miss talking to you about history but I needed to do some self care. And it wasn’t fun anymore. This is written with love and concern for you please understand that.

Valid points Me lady and always take on board what you say

Yes, there is plenty to deal with and I am annoyed how anytime I say something to one, the other jumps in as if they now no longer can speak for themselves. Yes they are married, but I find the way things have changed on how people can debate and what has been said. How everytime mental health is thrown in my face, which is even worse, considering what my uncles are going through. Shows the insensitive nature of some people. This is used on me all the time and have never been bothered about this before. As I always have let it go past without concern, until now, when seeing this up close and how it effects people. Its quite possible this could one day very well effect me also

What disappoints me, is how before you could reason with both. That they now seem to me stubborn and unwilling to listen to anything, if they deem it negative. I mean everytime I make a post in debate, the other jumps in, even if it has nothing to do with either of them. When people automatically defend someone. They are simple not listening to any other view. Showing they cannot criticism. Then they are only listening to themselves. Hey ho. its up to them mind, as its their lives.

I mean i was hounded and made to feel, I had made Gelico leave. I was horrified to think this could be the case. Yet even though at the time I was annoyed at people saying this. I certainly took on board what Eddie said and in a way, I certainly played a factor in this. The point is I did listen and always listen to people. Even though at the time this may not seem the case, when I am annoyed. I still take on board what people say.

Gelico was lovely about this and helped me not feel any guilt over this. But at the time, I have never felt so mortified to think I could have pushed someone away, that I have always respected. I was so happy to see her return. I never wish to see anyone leave. I love how Gelico and I, can argue like cats and dogs and the next minute laugh with each other. That is how it should be with posters.

Thanks for the advice and you are right, as its no fun anymore. I have had more fun debating on reddit, the athiest forum etc. Take care and once again thank you for your kind words. I hope to one day come back, but have no wish to do so at the moment. So I respect your kind words of love and I will certainly miss talking history with you. All the best.

x

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sat May 25, 2019 8:43 am

Didge.
Newfix's very own Terminator.

"I'll be back".
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sat May 25, 2019 9:11 am

Jules wrote:
The Devil, You Know wrote:my opinion is, and always has been, why do you need mods on a forum that has less than a dozen regulars.

it's bound to be inconsistent.
Even if there are 'numerous' mods, the forum founder can still modify the decisions they make, and he can upgrade or downgrade the length of bans they give. So in cases of controversy or doubt, it's still ONE person who has the final say - the owner.

Another reason why it's useful to have several mods (ideally from 2 or 3 different time zones)  is ….. remember that any forum can be maliciously flamed, spammed or hacked. It's better to have a round-the-clock mod presence to keep a quiet eye on things, so that the founder can have peace of mind even if he's away for a few days.

There is no one 'correct' formula in how to run a site,  accept that every forum founder has his/her particular own way of doing things. Cool
And remember Jules, there is no need for more than 1 moderator/admin on a forum which only has 3 or 4 regular posters.
The Devil You Know used to have a busy site, lively politics and robust debates. Admittedly, 1 poster had 4 names and posted upwards of 24,000 posts, but the place was infiltrated by far right racists.
The owner didn't heed the warnings, most left or were banned for pointing it out to him.
He finally saw the light, cast them out and found his place a ghost town.
What remains is what happens to a good forum gone bad.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Sat May 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Ben Reilly wrote: I started a folder on my computer about Gels after her little stunt (sorry Gels, but it's true)

a folder, eh? about me? how intriguing

and what did it say about me in your folder?

and was it filed under geranium?

Shocked

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat May 25, 2019 5:20 pm

Cass wrote:I really did miss talking to you about history but I needed to do some self care.

Pardon me?  You are the much superior historian.  It's like saying you'll forever miss your 'C—' student.

I don't know why you would miss him on the basis of his 'historian' acumen.  Perhaps he's fun, or loyal, or something else, but he's not a thinker.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3