NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beware the Momo.

5 posters

Go down

Beware the Momo. Empty Beware the Momo.

Post by Syl Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:07 pm

Kids are reported as being terrified by this Momo character that has started to pop up online unexpectedly on childrens games and cartoons.
It scares the kids into doing dangerous things, threatening to hurt the kids parents if he/she doesn't carry out the tasks set.

One woman on the radio this morning said her 5 year old was scared stiff when this thing popped up whilst she was watching Pepperpig.

Beware the Momo. 10400510
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Beware the Momo. Empty Re: Beware the Momo.

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:31 pm

It's Peppa Pig, and yes, that thing is scary as hell to me at 44, I can't imagine a kid's reaction to seeing it pop up in a video.

I'd love to meet the people behind this and teach them about baseball.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:35 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:It's Peppa Pig, and yes, that  thing is scary as hell to me at 44, I can't imagine a kid's reaction to seeing it pop up in a video.

This came to my attention the other day and was shocked its been placed with many kids videos

Not only on youtube, but their kid section

One  video is where a kid is playing mindcraft and two clowns appear. To then have one of them slit the others throats

To me, this sort of information is either being done from Russia (as it has been with the sick videos that dare teens to harm themselves) or its coming from Islamic extremists. To sow discord into our societies. Its clearly coming from some sick individuals, looking to control many through fear and the truma this could instill in children is appalling

These people need to be traced, as clearly this is about them having control over others and they need to be stopped

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:49 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:It's Peppa Pig, and yes, that  thing is scary as hell to me at 44, I can't imagine a kid's reaction to seeing it pop up in a video.

Peppa Pig...OK, I am out of the loop with young kids preferred watching. Laughing

I have read that young kids are asked to do increasingly dangerous things, take paracetamol, turn the gas on when parents are in bed, there has been news that ultimately kids are told to kill themselves.

It's evil....but it's strangely very similar to a film I saw recently where exactly the same thing was happening to older kids online.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:11 pm

Beware the Momo. Momo10
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:13 pm

The Devil, You Know wrote:Beware the Momo. Momo10

My OH thought it was a cartoon of Victoria Beckham....very cruel, both of you. snobby
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:52 pm

Note to mod...

Could this thread be tagged onto the existing one about Momo please....I didn't realise there was already a thread started about the ugly little bugger. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:24 pm

I’ve had to talk to my daughter about this and it really upset her. Now she’s expecting to be scared out of her wits every time she goes on her iPad.
And she is not a child that scares easily.

The people behind this are as sick as fuck.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:28 pm

eddie wrote:I’ve had to talk to my daughter about this and it really upset her. Now she’s expecting to be scared out of her wits every time she goes on her iPad.
And she is not a child that scares easily.

The people behind this are as sick as fuck.

The most important thing to understand about "The Momo Challenge" is that it doesn't exist. It's bullshit. It's nonsense. And it should be obvious to even the most casual user of online technology. Here's a sentence from that CBS report that should hopefully make clear what a hoax all this is (bold text mine):

https://reason.com/blog/2019/02/28/momo-isnt-telling-your-kids-to-hurt-them
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:35 pm

I don't think the reports are at all trying to say that these videos have some mystical power to sense when parents are around and not play; merely that this is something your child could encounter while watching YouTube unsupervised.

I find it a bit beyond belief to think that this story has been conjured out of whole cloth.

And I've worked in the media my whole adult life -- we don't coordinate coverage; in fact, if anything the reverse is true -- we generally seek the stories nobody else has.

More people find their news by Googling it these days than any other route. And Google doesn't reward media businesses when they all write the same stories. So there's no financial incentive to report on something once the news has been broken.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:39 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:I don't think the reports are at all trying to say that these videos have some mystical power to sense when parents are around and not play; merely that this is something your child could encounter while watching YouTube unsupervised.

I find it a bit beyond belief to think that this story has been conjured out of whole cloth.

And I've worked in the media my whole adult life -- we don't coordinate coverage; in fact, if anything the reverse is true -- we generally seek the stories nobody else has.

More people find their news by Googling it these days than any other route. And Google doesn't reward media businesses when they all write the same stories. So there's no financial incentive to report on something once the news has been broken.

And yet there's not one piece of evidence that any of this happening. There's a brief clip of a video that shows the image of "Momo," which is actually a sculpture of a harpy by a Japanese special effects company. I was able to track this nonsense back to a story by U.K. tabloid Daily Star, which features a mom claiming "Momo" told her 5-year-old daughter to cut off her hair. This, apparently, is the most logical explanation to Mom as to why a 5-year-old girl would do something so silly as cut her own hair, something small children have been doing since scissors were invented (if not before).

The Daily Star story does have a video clip of this Momo face with a child's sing-song voice threatening that Momo is going to kill you. But it's just completely contextless. The clip doesn't indicate that this video popped up as some sort of insert into social media viewing or during a cartoon. In the clip, Momo doesn't even order the viewer to do anything.

https://reason.com/blog/2019/02/28/momo-isnt-telling-your-kids-to-hurt-them

Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:43 pm

So who started the hoax, if it’s a hoax?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:07 pm

eddie wrote:So who started the hoax, if it’s a hoax?

U.K. tabloid Daily Star
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:21 am

The Momo challenge is hardly the first suspected craze to seize on the anxieties of adults — just look to past panic over supposedly dangerous teen trends that ended up being an overblown internet hoax. And as is the case for many spurts of viral panic, the Momo challenge has been elevated into a global phenomenon, not because of the stories shared by victims themselves but by the worried adults trying to protect them.

https://www.vox.com/2019/3/3/18248783/momo-challenge-hoax-explained?fbclid=IwAR28IY-3hBzJxz_iYc_e4-e4MM-gneyJzlMemg3LTT_uwx_fOJ-tznN_P0M

In case the libertarian leaning site isn't considered reliable and someone would like something with a left leaning bias.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down