NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Video shows tourists mocking Native drummer in Santa Fe

+4
'Wolfie
Maddog
Raggamuffin
Original Quill
8 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Video shows tourists mocking Native drummer in Santa Fe - Page 7 Empty Video shows tourists mocking Native drummer in Santa Fe

Post by Guest Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

Oglala Lakota drummer John SwiftBird says he often sings traditional pow wow songs and the women were likely intoxicated

A video has surfaced on Facebook in which four women appear to be dancing in a mocking way at an Oglala Lakota street performer and traditional drummer John Swiftbird.

The video was posted to Facebook by Steve Wilkerson, a man who was visiting the Santa Fe area at the time of the incident. His posted video has received thousands of views and hundreds of comments. He also gave the video to the Santa Fe New Mexican, which posted the video to YouTube.

After initial interactions of the women -- who are wearing cowboy hats -- the man recording the video says "You should be embarrassed." The women begin to walk away and some cover their faces with their hats. He also asks the women for their names, which they do not give.

One of the women says "I'm gonna f---n kill you. Kill your mother."

The person filming asks if the women are racists, which they deny. He also films their license plate.

The plate and faces have been blocked by the Santa Fe New Mexican on the video that has been uploaded to their channel.

On the Santa Fe news channel KRQE, Swiftbird says he was singing traditional Lakota powwow songs when the women approached. "Some group of young women who were dressed in the same attire were kind of intoxicated jumping up and down to the songs I was singing, making mockery sounds."

https://newsmaven.io/indiancountrytoday/news/video-shows-tourists-mocking-native-drummer-in-santa-fe-U4apz0sjTkeB-EkhrchaFA/

Back to top Go down

Video shows tourists mocking Native drummer in Santa Fe - Page 7 Empty Re: Video shows tourists mocking Native drummer in Santa Fe

Post by Original Quill Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:41 pm

Syl wrote:I was responding to your remark that the man did nothing which constituted an offence....neither did the women.

If I walked up to the Queen, and in gesticulations mimicked her regal mannerisms with clear intent to mock, you would know it was an insult not just to her, but to your culture. The Georgian women were, in clear mockery, doing the same.

It's not illegal, but it is a very strong social offense.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Video shows tourists mocking Native drummer in Santa Fe - Page 7 Empty Re: Video shows tourists mocking Native drummer in Santa Fe

Post by Syl Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:44 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:I was responding to your remark that the man did nothing which constituted an offence....neither did the women.

If I walked up to the Queen, and in gesticulations mimicked her regal mannerisms with clear intent to mock, you would know it was an insult not just to her, but to your culture.  The Georgian women were, in clear mockery, doing the same.

Not a good example really Quill. If you walked up to the queen and mocked her you would be carted off in handcuffs pretty damn quick.

I have to say though that the ONLY person who acted with any dignity here was indeed the street musician.....good for him.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:45 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:Did the women do anything that would constitute an offence in law?

No, and it's not a legal question.  I've made that clear, so it should not be an issue.

Syl wrote:They sang and danced badly, made a racket and showed themselves up.....I dont know what the intention was behind that, do you?

You are not an American.  Over here we know very what it was about.  These are the people who draw circles around themselves, and disdain all others...particularly if they are dark-skinned.

Who in the fuck is we?

Never attempt to speak for anyone but yourself.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:48 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:...but I have seen people round Manchester joining in street buskers, often badly, and no one has made such a song and dance about it.

Insult and ridicule is easy to detect, even if it's only body movements.

But why do you put a racist element into this, your default position seems to be centred on racism....maybe they just didn't like his singing.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:49 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

If I walked up to the Queen, and in gesticulations mimicked her regal mannerisms with clear intent to mock, you would know it was an insult not just to her, but to your culture.  The Georgian women were, in clear mockery, doing the same.

Not a good example really Quill. If you walked up to the queen and mocked her you would be carted off in handcuffs pretty damn quick.

I have to say though that the ONLY person who acted with any dignity here was indeed the street musician.....good for him.

No kidding.

If you dance and sing in the street, you will get people who dance and sing with you. It comes with the territory.

He was fine with it. He may have even liked a little female attention (not that he is going to tell his wife that). Cool
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:50 pm

Original Quill wrote:

I wouldn't, I'd just think you were taking the piss out of the Queen.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:03 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I think the Georgians lost their innocence about the time they started their boorish behavior.  Your attempt to refocus the blame simply doesn't work.

The young man was responding with reason and never lost his point...he shamed the skanks as they slithered away.

I am not refocusing the blame, I am commenting fairly on what I see. They were stupid he was stalking and harassing.  Video shows tourists mocking Native drummer in Santa Fe - Page 7 2190311264
Another big difference between you and I is I dont start off with an ingrained opinion of who is racist and who isn't, seems you discriminate from the start.

Yes, you are striving to find some sort of fault with the young man's behavior, so as to balance the offense.  What the Georgian woman were doing was offensive; what he was doing is pointing it out.  Their actions were gratuitous, his were fair comment.

As to your criticisms of me, I taught composition at university.  You start with a theme sentence, followed by a description of complexities and/or support, and end with a thesis sentence.

If it happens that the subject is a group of racist women, I might start with: this is racist conduct.  Then I might fill in the content: they were behaving in a manner to convey their racism, and they were called out for it.  Then, I put in my thesis: people who are racist should be pointed out and shamed!

When I write, I start out with a theme of racism because that directs the reader's attention to the subject about which I am speaking.  That has nothing to do with the analysis, which is how I arrived at my conclusion.  There I observe facts first: people being racist > getting shamed > my approval for a moral lesson, well learned.

Last edited by Original Quill on Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:03 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I wouldn't, I'd just think you were taking the piss out of the Queen.

Don't people mock the Royals all of the time?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:04 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

I am not refocusing the blame, I am commenting fairly on what I see. They were stupid he was stalking and harassing.  Video shows tourists mocking Native drummer in Santa Fe - Page 7 2190311264
Another big difference between you and I is I dont start off with an ingrained opinion of who is racist and who isn't, seems you discriminate from the start.

Yes, you are striving to find some sort of fault with the young man's behavior, so as to balance the offense.  What the Georgian woman were doing was offensive; what he was doing is pointing it out.  Their actions were gratuitous, his were fair comment.

As to your criticisms of me, I taught composition at university.  You start with a theme sentence, followed by a description of complexities and/or support, and end with a thesis sentence.

If it happens that the subject is a group of racist women, I might start with: this is racist conduct.  Then I might fill in the content: they were behaving in a manner to convey their racism, and they were called out for it.  Then, I put in my thesis: people who are racist should be pointed out and shamed!

When I write, I start out with a theme of racism because that directs the reader's attention to the subject about which I am speaking.  That has nothing to do with the analysis, which is how I arrived at my conclusion.  There I observe facts first: people being racist > getting shamed > my approval for a moral lesson, well learned.

Oh, here we go.

Professor Quill.

You're giving Walter Mitty a run for his money.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:08 pm

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Oh, here we go.

Professor Quill.

I'll dumb it down for you later, Donald. Right now I'm talking to people who can understand more than one bowel urge at a time.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:11 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Oh, here we go.

Professor Quill.

I'll dumb it down for you later, Donald.  Right now I'm talking to people who can understand more than one bowel urge at a time.

Thanks Walter. Can't wait to hear about more of your exploits. Rolling Eyes
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:15 pm

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I'll dumb it down for you later, Donald.  Right now I'm talking to people who can understand more than one bowel urge at a time.

Your jealous. I understand. But let's not stray from the subject. We were talking about the boorish behavior of these Georgian women.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:21 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Your jealous.  I understand.  But let's not stray from the subject.  We were talking about the boorish behavior of these Georgian women.

*You're*

Professor Quill.

Of course, school stopped at 8th grade on my reservation, so I might be wrong.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:21 pm

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Lots of folks use that word all over the country.

Just don't end it with "er".

Except you're too old to use that word unless you use it while singing karaoke.

No my friend, they don't use that word.  When I was a kid in the northeast, I would have been slapped silly if I used that word.

Only in the south is that kind of talk--and attitude--taken for granted.

Per as usual, you're out of touch.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=My%20nigga

Yeah, really. Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:54 am

eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Per as usual, you're out of touch.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=My%20nigga

Sometimes I call my kids "my nigga". They roll their eyes and say "no dad, just no". tongue
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:44 am

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:

Sometimes I call my kids "my nigga". They roll their eyes and say "no dad, just no". tongue

And you think that's cute, do you?

You are giving us a classic lesson in how southerners acculturate the next generation to think in racist terms.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:41 am

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:

You are giving us a classic lesson in how southerners acculturate the next generation to think in racist terms.

That's not a southern term. Do you live in a cave?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:39 pm

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

That's not a southern term. Do you live in a cave?

I think by now, the southerners have co-opted it. "Y'all" is a Scottish invention, but the American south has taken it over.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7