NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Video shows tourists mocking Native drummer in Santa Fe

+4
'Wolfie
Maddog
Raggamuffin
Original Quill
8 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Video shows tourists mocking Native drummer in Santa Fe - Page 4 Empty Video shows tourists mocking Native drummer in Santa Fe

Post by Guest Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

Oglala Lakota drummer John SwiftBird says he often sings traditional pow wow songs and the women were likely intoxicated

A video has surfaced on Facebook in which four women appear to be dancing in a mocking way at an Oglala Lakota street performer and traditional drummer John Swiftbird.

The video was posted to Facebook by Steve Wilkerson, a man who was visiting the Santa Fe area at the time of the incident. His posted video has received thousands of views and hundreds of comments. He also gave the video to the Santa Fe New Mexican, which posted the video to YouTube.

After initial interactions of the women -- who are wearing cowboy hats -- the man recording the video says "You should be embarrassed." The women begin to walk away and some cover their faces with their hats. He also asks the women for their names, which they do not give.

One of the women says "I'm gonna f---n kill you. Kill your mother."

The person filming asks if the women are racists, which they deny. He also films their license plate.

The plate and faces have been blocked by the Santa Fe New Mexican on the video that has been uploaded to their channel.

On the Santa Fe news channel KRQE, Swiftbird says he was singing traditional Lakota powwow songs when the women approached. "Some group of young women who were dressed in the same attire were kind of intoxicated jumping up and down to the songs I was singing, making mockery sounds."

https://newsmaven.io/indiancountrytoday/news/video-shows-tourists-mocking-native-drummer-in-santa-fe-U4apz0sjTkeB-EkhrchaFA/

Back to top Go down

Video shows tourists mocking Native drummer in Santa Fe - Page 4 Empty Re: Video shows tourists mocking Native drummer in Santa Fe

Post by Maddog Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:36 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Yes he does. He thinks it's fine to mock them, their beliefs, and their prophet. He's often said so.

He disagrees with their views and brainwashing etc. He doesn’t “mock” them though.

I think it's fine to mock any religion, including ones practiced by native Americans. That's why it's OK to show up at a Halloween party dressed like the pope.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Video shows tourists mocking Native drummer in Santa Fe - Page 4 Empty Re: Video shows tourists mocking Native drummer in Santa Fe

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:37 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Yes he does. He thinks it's fine to mock them, their beliefs, and their prophet. He's often said so.

He disagrees with their views and brainwashing etc. He doesn’t “mock” them though.

Yes he does, and he thinks it's fine for others to mock them.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:37 pm

Maddog wrote:
Thor wrote:

Well maybe you can help out, in how the mocking ooo sounds were funny?

Maybe you have a sick sense of humour

That's the thing about humor. It's subjective.

Indeed, but if it was light humoured as you claim. Why did they turn tail, the moment they rrealised they were being filmed and were clearly emabrressed?

Kind of does not back your point mate

If light humoured, they would have reasoned and explained to the man, he was mistaken?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:38 pm

Maddog wrote:
>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:
Maddog wrote:

It is perfectly legal in this country to mock anyone for any reason.

You should see St Patrick's day over here. The whole fucking holiday is a mocking of the Irish.

I disagree, I've  been to many a St. Paddy's Day event and never once seen someone mocking the Irish.

They are dressing up like Irish people, painting themselves green and getting drunk as hell.

However, if that was done to Native Americans, all hell would break loose and you know it.

But they're not doing it to mock the Irish, and I think that's the big difference.

You do have a point about the Native Americans, though. Internet people wouldn't be able to see that as anything besides a white supremacist display.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:38 pm

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:

I think it's fine to mock any religion, including ones practiced by native Americans. That's why it's OK to show up at a Halloween party dressed like the pope.  

I agree tha no beliefe should be protected from criticism and ridicule

Eddie means I do not mock Muslims per say, simple because they are a Muslim and she is right. I dont

Last edited by Thor on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:38 pm

Thor wrote:
Maddog wrote:

That's the thing about humor. It's subjective.

Indeed, but if it was light humoured as you claim. Why did they turn tail, the moment they rrealised they were being filmed and were clearly emabrressed?

If light humoured, they would have reasoned and explained to the man, he was mistaken?

Because some folks don't want to have to explain everything to strange stalkers.

The dude was a fucking creep and they wanted to get away from him.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:40 pm

Maddog wrote:
Thor wrote:

Because some folks don't want to have to explain everything to strange stalkers.

lol, come on you are scraping the barrel now

They turned tail, because they knew they were in the wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:42 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:
Maddog wrote:

They are dressing up like Irish people, painting themselves green and getting drunk as hell.

However, if that was done to Native Americans, all hell would break loose and you know it.

But they're not doing it to mock the Irish, and I think that's the big difference.

You do have a point about the Native Americans, though. Internet people wouldn't be able to see that as anything besides a white supremacist display.

And I don't think what these girls were doing was meant to mock, but the internet warrior with a camera thought they were. It's like the Chief Wahoo caricature for the Indians, which is now history. Do you think it was meant to mock Native Americans? Do you think a Leprechuan caricature mocks the Irish?

You can't have it both ways.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:42 pm

Thor wrote:
Maddog wrote:

I agree tha no beliefe should be protected from criticism and ridicule

Eddie means I do not mock Muslims per say, simple because they are a Muslim and she is right. I dont

So if, as you claim, these women were ridiculing that man's beliefs and culture, why is that not OK?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:43 pm

Thor wrote:
Maddog wrote:

lol, come on you are scraping the barrel now

They turned tail, because they knew they were in the wrong

And you are reading their minds.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:44 pm

Didge used to mock Fuzzy all the time for being Muslim.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:44 pm

Maddog wrote:
>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:

And I don't think what these girls were doing was meant to mock, but the internet warrior with a camera thought they were. It's like the Chief Wahoo caricature for the Indians, which is now history. Do you think it was meant to mock Native Americans? Do you think a Leprechuan caricature mocks the Irish?  

Yeah, because nice people who mock in light humoured ways, always threan to kill that person catching them out and also threat to kill their mothers.

Light humoured people do that do they?

Leprechuan is a myth and simple symbol for the Irish, that is not individually mocking someone, as it is here with this Indian man

Can you not grasp the difference?

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:45 pm

Can non Irish people get drunk and do an Irish jig and talk with a shitty Irish accent?

For fucks sake, the Indian street performer didn't even give a shit.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:45 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Didge used to mock Fuzzy all the time for being Muslim.

Perhaps you and I are using different terms.

Didge challenged fuzzy, he didn’t mock him.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:45 pm

Liar, pants on fire

We debated over his religion and we mocked each other all the time as people with opposing views

So top telling porkies

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:45 pm

Maddog wrote:
Thor wrote:

Exactly. I'd be the same if some random bloke was bearing down on me with a camera.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:45 pm

Thor wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Yeah, because nice people who mock in light humoured ways, always threan to kill that person catching them out and also threat to kill their mothers.

Leprechuan is a myth and simple symbol for the Irish, that is not individually mocking someone, as it is here with this Indian man

What is Chief Wahoo?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:46 pm

eddie wrote:

Perhaps you and I are using different terms.

Didge challenged fuzzy, he didn’t mock him.

Yes he did.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:46 pm

Maddog wrote:Can non Irish people get drunk and do an Irish jig and talk with a shitty Irish accent?

I have my mates take the piss that I am half Irish. They know me

These women never knew the man

Thank goodness he wwas not bothered

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:47 pm

Maddog wrote:
Thor wrote:

What is Chief Wahoo?

Its a logo in American football

Edit, I am wrong just looked it up , its baseball

Last edited by Thor on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 pm

Thor wrote:
Maddog wrote:

What is Chief Wahoo?

Wrong.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:49 pm

Maddog wrote:
Thor wrote:

Wrong.

Yeah wrong sport, baseball and?

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:50 pm

Thor wrote:
Maddog wrote:Can non Irish people get drunk and do an Irish jig and talk with a shitty Irish accent?

So some guy is doing a Jig in the corner. Can passers by join in in a bit of drunken revelry?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:50 pm

Thor wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Wrong.

And why has it's use been discontinued this year?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:51 pm

Maddog wrote:
Thor wrote:

And why has it's use been discontinued this year?

No idea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:52 pm

Just looked it up many fans and the club, wanted to remove the logo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:03 pm

Just been reading about this some more, as you piped my interest Maddog

https://www.citylab.com/life/2018/03/its-going-to-be-hard-for-cleveland-to-get-rid-of-chief-wahoo/556982/

https://theconversation.com/new-research-shows-how-native-american-mascots-reinforce-stereotypes-63861

I personally do not think such symbols should be removed. I also think Most Native Americans feel the same. There is one problem though with them. They do though seem to reinforce sterotypes, which is problematic.

So to me education is more the key to dispell poor sterotypes and not then lead or need to having the logo and masgot changed for the club.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:06 pm

Sooooo thread has gone slightly off topic cyclops
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:11 pm

Maddog wrote:
Thor wrote:

So some guy is doing a Jig in the corner. Can passers by join in in a bit of drunken revelry?  

Is that mocking the person or joining in?

That is joining in and is far removed from these vile racist skanks that mocked the Native indian with warped and hateful noises

Its up to people what they do, its a free country, but then people should also be responsible for their actions

In this case these women acted like cunts

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:14 pm

eddie wrote:Sooooo thread has gone slightly off topic cyclops

Not really. Native Americans are a touchy subject in the US, and sports is part of the subject.

Notre Dame, one of the most well known college football teams in the country is known as the Fighting Irish. That's perfectly fine and not considered to be mocking.

The Washington Redskins, Cleveland Indians and Atlanta Braves, don't get the same pass.

And if anyone was doing a street performance of a culture other than an American Indian culture, the girls behavior would have been fine, and thought to be amusing.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:14 pm

Thor wrote:
Maddog wrote:

That is joining in and is far removed from these vile racist skanks that mocked the Native indian with warped and hateful noises

Its up to people what they do, its a free country, but then people should also be responsible for their actions

I would call it imitating.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:15 pm

Maddog wrote:

Not really. Native Americans are a touchy subject in the US, and sports is part of the subject.

Notre Dame, one of the most well known college football teams in the country is known as the Fighting Irish. That's perfectly fine and not considered to be mocking.

The Washington Redskins, Cleveland Indians and Atlanta Braves, don't get the same pass.

And if anyone was doing a street performance of a culture other than an American Indian culture, the girls behavior would have been fine, and thought to be amusing.    

Actually, a survey was done of Native Americans and the vast majority don't have a problem with those mascots.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:16 pm

Maddog wrote:

How is the mocking noises here, in any case with anyone being fine

Its like they were making noises that resembled people who are mentally retarded or some sounded lik monkey sounds

So I very much doubt in any other situation people would have viewed that as fine

That again is simple subjective horseshit on your part mate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:17 pm

Maddog wrote:
Thor wrote:

Imiatating what with the sounds they make

Apes?

People who are mentally retarded?

How is that imitating a native Indian?

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:48 pm

Thor wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Apes?

Maybe they were speaking Iroquois?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:50 pm

Maddog wrote:
Thor wrote:

Apes?

Maybe you are again excusing racism

Are you fluent in speaking Iroquois?

Are you now claiming the language of the Iroquois sounds like monkey sounds?

Get a fucking grip, that was pathetic

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:55 pm

Thor wrote:
Maddog wrote:

I don't speak any native languages.

Now that I listened again, I'm thinking maybe it was Ute or Creek?

But I'm no expert. tongue
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:56 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Actually, a survey was done of Native Americans and the vast majority don't have a problem with those mascots.

I don't think they do.

And like in this thread, it wasn't the Native American who went off on those girls.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:57 pm

Maddog wrote:
Thor wrote:

I don't speak any native languages.

Now that I listened again, I'm thinking maybe it was Ute or Creek?

But I'm no expert. tongue  

Video shows tourists mocking Native drummer in Santa Fe - Page 4 Facepalm-even-your-cat-knows-that-was-stupid-26700923

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:05 pm

Comanche or Karankawa?

Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:39 am

Maddog wrote:
Thor wrote:

Rolling Eyes

No, Doofus Dawg...

That should be irritating, not "imitating"..

What were they imitating, in your mind -- Z-grade movies and TV shows from the 1960s, perhaps ?
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:42 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Rolling Eyes

No,  Doofus Dawg...

That should be irritating,  not "imitating"..

What were they imitating, in your mind  --  Z-grade movies and TV shows from the 1960s, perhaps  ?

It can be both.

I never said it was a good imitation.

Kind of like when people from other countries try to imitate the perfect English spoken by Texans.

It's an irritating imitation that I tolerate with a big old smile.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:23 am

Syl wrote:I just watched the video. The women were stupid and disrespectful, the man videoed them.. they walked off. He had no need to make a huge drama out of it by following them, shouting after them, and  videoing them and their vehicle.
He went too far. I imagine if the police had gotten involved it would be him who would get a warning.

If this guy had just told the women off, or just questioned them once, they would have just feigned innocence & ignored him completely & walked away. A non story. He wanted a story. He had a point to prove. 

To get to the stage where they guiltily concealed their embarassed faces, took a bit of  'following' and  persistent questioning, there was no other way.

The 'stalking' involved here was not of a sexual nature, he wasn't harassing random tiny girls, he was trying to shame grown women for whom casual disrespect towards natives is clearly a routine activity.

He got his story.  Video shows tourists mocking Native drummer in Santa Fe - Page 4 4214183177

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:11 am

Jules wrote:
Syl wrote:I just watched the video. The women were stupid and disrespectful, the man videoed them.. they walked off. He had no need to make a huge drama out of it by following them, shouting after them, and  videoing them and their vehicle.
He went too far. I imagine if the police had gotten involved it would be him who would get a warning.

If this guy had just told the women off, or just questioned them once, they would have just feigned innocence & ignored him completely & walked away. A non story. He wanted a story. He had a point to prove. 

To get to the stage where they guiltily concealed their embarassed faces, took a bit of  'following' and  persistent questioning, there was no other way.

The 'stalking' involved here was not of a sexual nature, he wasn't harassing random tiny girls, he was trying to shame grown women for whom casual disrespect towards natives is clearly a routine activity.

He got his story.  Video shows tourists mocking Native drummer in Santa Fe - Page 4 4214183177

He harassed them like some social justice vigilante.

It would have been a better story if the girls had husbands and the husbands showed up and had a word with the creepy hero.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:41 am

Maddog wrote:
Jules wrote:

It would have been a better story if the girls had husbands and the husbands showed up and had a word with the creepy hero.  

It's not harassment.  It's a perfectly logical choice, to prove a point.  If you are proud of what you've become and what you did, turn around and identify yourself.  If you are ashamed and hide, let that be your judgment.

There was nothing physical about it. Nothing threatening.  It was simply logic, and they failed.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:03 am

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:

It's not harassment.  It's a perfectly logical choice, to prove a point.  If you are proud of what you've become and what you did, turn around and identify yourself.  If you are ashamed and hide, let that be your judgment.

There was nothing physical about it.  Nothing threatening.  It was simply logic, and they failed.

Following someone and filming them is harassment, unless they committed a crime. If they did, call 911 or try to detain them yourself

This weirdo was a bit unhinged.

Have you ever followed someone and filmed them for doing something you didn't approve of?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:13 am

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

There was nothing physical about it.  Nothing threatening.  It was simply logic, and they failed.

Following someone and filming them is harassment, unless they committed a crime. If they did, call 911 or try to detain them yourself

Have you ever followed someone and filmed them for doing something you didn't approve of?  

Nonsense. The cops would take 4-hours to respond to a negligible complaint like that. If by chance they got there, they would just separate the parties and move along. Divide the disputants and establish order, that's all they care about.

Do you think some cop is going to risk his career by violating the Constitution?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:16 am

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Nonsense.  The cops would take 4-hours to respond to a negligible complaint like that.  If by chance they got there, they would just separate the parties and move along.  Divide the disputants and establish order, that's all they care about.

Do you think some cop is going to risk his career by violating the Constitution?

Girl calls 911. Strange man is following them. Wont leave them alone. Where I live, they would come with lights and sirens going.

Maybe they do things different where you live.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:52 am

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Nonsense.  The cops would take 4-hours to respond to a negligible complaint like that.  If by chance they got there, they would just separate the parties and move along.  Divide the disputants and establish order, that's all they care about.

Girl calls 911. Strange man is following them. Wont leave them alone. Where I live, they would come with lights and sirens going.

Texas cops would come with lethal force, if you told them he was a black.  Otherwise, they wouldn't give a sheet.

New Mexico Dispatch:  What is he doing?

Georgians: He's following us.

Dispatch:  Um, has he touched anyone or threatened harm in any way?

Georgians:  No, he's just following us and saying something.

Dispatch:  What is he saying?

Georgians:  He's saying we shouldn't harass some Indian.

Dispatch:  You were harassing an Indian?

Georgians:  Never mind...my battery is low.

New Mexico is a blue state, not Texas.  They don't knee-jerk for rednecks.  Like California, they try to resolve things in an orderly manner.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:02 am

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Texas cops would come with lethal force, if you told them he was a black.  Otherwise, they wouldn't give a sheet.

New Mexico Dispatch:  What is he doing?

Georgians: He's following us.

Dispatch:  Um, has he touched anyone or threatened harm in any way?

Georgians:  No, he's just following us and saying something.

Dispatch:  What is he saying?

Georgians:  He's saying we shouldn't harass some Indian.

Dispatch:  You were harassing an Indian?

Georgians:  Never mind...my battery is low.

New Mexico is a blue state, not Texas.  They don't knee-jerk for rednecks.  Like California, they try to resolve things in an orderly manner.

You don't follow women dude. It's creepy.

Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next