NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Song Writer And Singer Sanger D. “Whitey” Shafer Passed Away Saturday, January 12, 2019

Go down

Song Writer And Singer Sanger D. “Whitey” Shafer Passed Away Saturday, January 12, 2019 Empty Song Writer And Singer Sanger D. “Whitey” Shafer Passed Away Saturday, January 12, 2019

Post by Lurker Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:45 pm

Obituary of Sanger D. "Whitey" Shafer

Legendary Songwriter/Artist, Sanger D. “Whitey” Shafer, age 84 of Ridgetop, Tennessee, passed away Saturday, January 12, 2019.  Funeral Service will be Sunday, January 20th at 2:00 p.m. at Family Heritage Funeral Home, 100 Albert Gallatin Avenue, Gallatin, TN  37066, with Dallas Frazier officiating.  Visitation will be Saturday, January 19th from 2:00 – 8:00 p.m. and Sunday, January 20th from 12:00 p.m. until time of service at 2:00 p.m.  Interment will be private.  Honoring his memory are pallbearers, Aaron Barker, Corey Frizzell, Doug Shafer, Jason Niswanger, Paul Niswanger, and Raymond Shafer.  Honorary pallbearers are Curly Corwin, Steve Huffine, Ray Baker, Dallas Frazier, Gene Vowell, Bill Cody, Jim Hill, Lee Roscane, and Donny Kees.

Mr. Shafer was born October 24, 1934 in Whitney, TX to the late Milton Shafer and Vivian Edna Cheek Shafer.  In addition to his parents, he is preceded in death by sister, Jenna Beth McAllister.  He is survived by wife of 19 years, Tracy Shafer of Ridgetop; children, Christina “Tina” Beth Niswanger of Waco, TX, Paula Denise Griffith (Bart) of Waldport, OR, and Douglas Kelsey Shafer (Lisa) of Texas; 7 grandchildren, Jason Niswanger, Jackie Niswanger, Paul Niswanger, Cherish Fanning, Raymond Shafer, Charlie Jay, and Shane Shafer; 5 great-grandchildren; and godson, Ryman Shafer Frizzell.

Sanger D. “Whitey” Shafer served his country in the United States Army.  Whitey moved to Nashville in 1967 signing recording deals with RCA Records and Musicor.  He was inducted into the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame in 1989.  Mr. Shafer would go on to write for a variety of artists including George Jones, Connie Smith, Johnny Russell, Merle Haggard;  George Strait famously picking up "All My Ex's Live in Texas" and "Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind", “I Wonder Do You Think Of Me” was recorded by Keith Whitley and became the singer's first  No. 1. In the 1990s, Shafer continued to write for John Michael Montgomery, Lee Ann Womack, Kenny Chesney, and Shawn Colvin, and many others.

Online condolences may be submitted at familyheritagefh.com.  Family Heritage Funeral Home has been honored with arrangements.

Last edited by Lurker on Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Song Writer And Singer Sanger D. “Whitey” Shafer Passed Away Saturday, January 12, 2019 Empty Re: Song Writer And Singer Sanger D. “Whitey” Shafer Passed Away Saturday, January 12, 2019

Post by Lurker Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:50 pm

Whitey Shafer was was one of my country music heroes. He wrote just about all of George Strait's song hits, and wrote for other artists, too. He was an accomplished country singer himself. He wrote: "Little Darlin' Number Four", "Where Are All The Girls I Used To Cheat With", "Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind" , he Co-wrote "That's the Way Love Goes", "Bandy the Rodeo Clown" and "I Never Go Around Mirrors" , "The Baptism of Jesse Taylor", "Between My House and Home" and "I'm a New Man in Town" and many more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aF7zCnAOO8
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down