NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recy Taylor, black Alabama woman raped by six white men in 1944, dies aged 97

+3
Cass
eddie
magica
7 posters

Go down

Recy Taylor, black Alabama woman raped by six white men in 1944, dies aged 97  Empty Recy Taylor, black Alabama woman raped by six white men in 1944, dies aged 97

Post by Guest Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:38 pm

Taylor was attacked by six white men as she walked home from church
Men who admitted assault were not indicted by all-white, all-male grand juries

Recy Taylor, a black Alabama woman whose rape by six white men in 1944 drew national attention, died on Thursday. She was 97.

Taylor died in her sleep at a nursing home in Abbeville, her brother Robert Corbitt said. He said Taylor had been in good spirits the previous day and her death was sudden. She would have been 98 on Sunday.

Taylor’s story, along with those of other black women attacked by white men during the civil rights era, is told in At the Dark End of the Street, a book by Danielle McGuire released in 2010. A documentary on her case, The Rape of Recy Taylor, was released this year.

The Rape of Recy Taylor is directed by Nancy Buirski, best known for directing The Loving Story, about Mildred and Richard Loving, the couple who toppled laws against interracial marriage

“This is such an important time in this country’s path to recognize Recy Taylor,” Buirski told the Guardian this month. “With women being singled out on Time magazine’s cover, as part of the #MeToo campaign, I really want to draw attention to the black women who spoke up when their lives were seriously in danger.”

Taylor was 24 when she was abducted and raped as she walked home from church in Abbeville. Her attackers left her on the side of the road in an isolated area. The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) assigned Rosa Parks to investigate the case, and she rallied support for justice for Taylor.

Two all-white, all-male grand juries declined to indict the six white men who admitted to authorities that they assaulted her.

In a 2010 interview, Taylor said she believed the men who attacked her were dead, but she still would like an apology from officials.

“It would mean a whole lot to me,” Taylor said. “The people who done this to me … they can’t do no apologizing. Most of them is gone.”

The Alabama legislature passed a resolution apologizing to her in 2011.

Buirski told the Guardian that “during the civil rights movement, issues like equal accommodations and voting rights became more vital to the general population than issues about ‘sexual stuff’. That was something that people put aside, that people didn’t want to talk about. It was unseemly to talk about, and certainly, to fight about.”

But Buirski said the movement remained rooted in what one academic has called “a bodily claim to own a space”, a debt Buirski said it owed partly to women like Taylor.

“That was her legacy,” Buirski said. “Recy Taylor was so courageous, so brave to have spoken up.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/dec/29/recy-taylor-alabama-dies

RIP Recy, you were so brave allowing your story to be told and holding your head up high.

Back to top Go down

Recy Taylor, black Alabama woman raped by six white men in 1944, dies aged 97  Empty Re: Recy Taylor, black Alabama woman raped by six white men in 1944, dies aged 97

Post by magica Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:15 pm

How appalling this was allowed to happen and no prison for the men.

Rape is so heinous a crime,.Poor woman.  I bet they laughed, called her names whilst the disgusting men, if you can call them that, did what they wanted.

Bless you x
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Recy Taylor, black Alabama woman raped by six white men in 1944, dies aged 97  Empty Re: Recy Taylor, black Alabama woman raped by six white men in 1944, dies aged 97

Post by Guest Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:51 am

''Two all-white, all-male grand juries declined to indict the six white men who admitted to authorities that they assaulted her''.

each and every one of those dirty, vile, racist bastards on the jury is as complicit as they may as well have taken part in the rape themselves, at least in my opinion.

at least she finally got her apology

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:37 pm

gelico wrote:

''Two all-white, all-male grand juries declined to indict the six white men who admitted to authorities that they assaulted her''.

each and every one of those dirty, vile, racist bastards on the jury is as complicit as they may as well have taken part in the rape themselves, at least in my opinion.

Well said.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:04 pm

A woman was raped over 70 years ago??

How is this news??

Women get gang raped by Muslims in Sweden everyday

That's news

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:05 pm

A migrant who took part in a 20-man gang rape of a woman in a suburb of Stockholm, Sweden told police that the experience was a “fun joke”.

The incident occurred last summer in the Fittja area of the Swedish capital. 20 men were involved in the brutal gang rape, which took place in a stairwell, but police were only able to identify and charge five of the culprits, all of whom were migrants from Somali and Iraq.

According to the 30-year-old woman, the migrants “discussed who would get to use me first” before pulling her up to the second floor. Many stood waiting for their turn,” she added.

https://www.infowars.com/sweden-migrant-who-participated-in-20-man-gang-rape-of-woman-tells-police-it-was-fun/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:33 pm

gelico wrote:

Spot on. Green thingy x
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:57 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:A migrant who took part in a 20-man gang rape of a woman in a suburb of Stockholm, Sweden told police that the experience was a “fun joke”.

The incident occurred last summer in the Fittja area of the Swedish capital. 20 men were involved in the brutal gang rape, which took place in a stairwell, but police were only able to identify and charge five of the culprits, all of whom were migrants from Somali and Iraq.

According to the 30-year-old woman, the migrants “discussed who would get to use me first” before pulling her up to the second floor. Many stood waiting for their turn,” she added.

https://www.infowars.com/sweden-migrant-who-participated-in-20-man-gang-rape-of-woman-tells-police-it-was-fun/

That was indescribable horror for that woman Smelly.

I don't care what colour the lady is, or what colour the men are. Rape is rape and they must face prison.

The reason it has been brought up about Recy, is because being black, no one cared. She got what she deserved because being black doesn't matter. Well it does matter and that lady, like so many blacks back then were treated appallingly and never got justice. It must never happen again.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:59 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:A woman was raped over 70 years ago??

How is this news??

That's news
Because she has died - but i do get your point .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:01 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:A migrant who took part in a 20-man gang rape of a woman in a suburb of Stockholm, Sweden told police that the experience was a “fun joke”.

vile evil shites .

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:07 pm

Mmmm this has both sympathy, obviously, from me but also I feel it doesn't address all rape victims whose attackers have gotten away with it.   Was this woman a particularly special case?   Women have been, and continue to be, raped on a daily basis and it won't stop any time soon.   At the time this lady was raped, there were women being raped all over the world merely for being women, including those being raped by their husbands, who got away with it because a) they were women and b) they were wives and chattel.    

Who speaks out for them?   Who celebrates their lives and sufferings?  

This lady survived a terrible ordeal, but many didn't and don't.  Still.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:25 pm

It's a memorial thread, about this particular woman.
We all know this happens all the time. When a celebrity dies and we post it here, no one goes on about "other people who died also".
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:53 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:

How is this news??

It's an obituary thread. Have you ever objected to the dozens of other obituary threads posted on here previously?

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:06 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:A woman was raped over 70 years ago??

How is this news??

That's news

Smile

Women ganged raped in Sweden "every day"  ???

Prove it,  Smelly..

365.25 days for each year; and each gang rape by a "Muslim gang".
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:24 pm

Oprah Winfrey's fantastic speech at Golden Globes, where she pays homage to Recy Taylor and well as others. Her speech is amazing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:38 pm

Recy Taylor, black Alabama woman raped by six white men in 1944, dies aged 97  Oprah10
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:20 pm

Maddog wrote:Recy Taylor, black Alabama woman raped by six white men in 1944, dies aged 97  Oprah10

You have said some stupid things on here, but that is just about the stupidest you have come out with.   There are many things I disagree with Oprah about, but she has always stood for women's empowerment and spoken out about abuse, particularly because of what happened to her as a child, which makes that slur utterly repellant:

When Oprah was nine she was raped by her nineteen year old cousin who was baby sitting her. This wouldn't be the only time she was sexually abused she would then be sexually abused by her cousin, a family friend,her mother's boyfriend, and her uncle during her stay in Milwaukee. Toward all these incidents, she never told a soul because the predators swore her to silence. At the age of thirteen Oprah ran away from home, this was due to her years of abuse and at the age of fourteen she became pregnant with an ill son who died shortly after birth. Oprah took the death of her son as she was given a second chance in life. Oprah's mother sent her to live once again with her father in Nashville,Tennessee. Oprah's father was very strict and made education the number-one priority for Oprah.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001856/bio

The things she has done for women and girls are utterly amazing.   Amoung other things she works for 'Women for Women', which I have tried to help with anything I can do for years.   How dare you slag off someone who has spent her life giving women a lift up!   Utterly contemptible!

How Oprah Winfrey Is Empowering Girls and Women Around the World

Oprah Winfrey wants women to break gender barriers on a global scale.

“I have a strong interest — and now background experience — in helping girls become who they were meant to be,” says Winfrey, 62, one of PEOPLE’s 25 Women Changing the World.

A longtime advocate of female education, Winfrey funds several organizations aimed at improving the quality of life for women and helping to boost their confidence. She backs Women for Women International, which supports the financial, educational, and interpersonal needs of women survivors of war, poverty and injustice, as well as Girl Effect, a movement working to end poverty in adolescent women.

Also supported by the Nike Foundation, Girl Effect aims to break the cycle of poverty by building confidence in young women, empowering them and providing access to education and services. “[Girl Effect] will spend 10 to 18 months [in a village in Ethiopia, or Malawi, or Nigeria] just getting to know the village elders, the men who are in charge of what happens not just to the women, but also, obviously, the children,” Winfrey tells PEOPLE. “They will spend time sitting around, drinking tea, smoking the peace pipe, or whatever happens to be the communal expression for sharing in any particular environment.”

“They will spend time with those men and, eventually women, convincing the elders it’s important that your daughter go to school,” she continues. “You end up transforming lives because you first get the girls to see themselves differently. You get them to see the possibility for themselves. And then you get them to see that, ‘Oh, I don’t have to be married at 12. There can be a life for me if I can get myself educated but my father won’t let me be educated.’ ”

Winfrey, who believes Girl Effect successfully employs a “non-traditional model for transforming the lives of adolescent girls,” says she’s learned from the organization’s leaders the importance of working with young people between the ages of 9 and 19.

“After a girl’s already had several children or been married off, it’s too hard,” she says. “The power of Girl Effect is they understand you’ve got to change the way the girl sees herself and the way her community sees her in order to bring about full empowerment.” That’s why those conversations about women in society need to happen early —so girls can reach their full potential.

Girl Effect is just another example of Winfrey’s dedication to helping women get the education they deserve.  The philanthropist also built a world-class school for girls in South Africa for grades 7 through 12 through the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls. Winfrey hopes the students who finish at The Academy will continue their educational paths and eventually transform their communities and countries.

“I have the ultimate satisfaction, I have the ultimate reward that I did exactly what I wanted to do,” says Winfrey. “I wanted to change the lives of these girls at my school. I have been graced with living long enough to see them fulfill the potential that I saw in them when they were 11 and 12 years old.”

“This coming year, 2017, I will have 10 girls in the United States graduate,” she adds of the success of her program. “I have to actually attend 10 graduations of girls graduating from some of the best schools in the United States — one of them now left Spelman and is at Oxford. I have watched them as little girls, literally, blossom into these flourishing young women that are just so dynamic. They’re going to change what happens in their country and in the world.”

http://people.com/human-interest/oprah-winfrey-people-25-women-changing-the-world-with-new-normal-for-women/

Go wash your mouth out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:25 pm

sassy wrote:
Maddog wrote:Recy Taylor, black Alabama woman raped by six white men in 1944, dies aged 97  Oprah10

You have said some stupid things on here, but that is just about the stupidest you have come out with.   There are many things I disagree with Oprah about, but she has always stood for women's empowerment and spoken out about abuse, particularly because of what happened to her as a child, which makes that slur utterly repellant:

When Oprah was nine she was raped by her nineteen year old cousin who was baby sitting her. This wouldn't be the only time she was sexually abused she would then be sexually abused by her cousin, a family friend,her mother's boyfriend, and her uncle during her stay in Milwaukee. Toward all these incidents, she never told a soul because the predators swore her to silence. At the age of thirteen Oprah ran away from home, this was due to her years of abuse and at the age of fourteen she became pregnant with an ill son who died shortly after birth. Oprah took the death of her son as she was given a second chance in life. Oprah's mother sent her to live once again with her father in Nashville,Tennessee. Oprah's father was very strict and made education the number-one priority for Oprah.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001856/bio

The things she has done for women and girls are utterly amazing.   Amoung other things she works for 'Women for Women', which I have tried to help with anything I can do for years.   How dare you slag off someone who has spent her life giving women a lift up!   Utterly contemptible!

How Oprah Winfrey Is Empowering Girls and Women Around the World

Oprah Winfrey wants women to break gender barriers on a global scale.

“I have a strong interest — and now background experience — in helping girls become who they were meant to be,” says Winfrey, 62, one of PEOPLE’s 25 Women Changing the World.

A longtime advocate of female education, Winfrey funds several organizations aimed at improving the quality of life for women and helping to boost their confidence. She backs Women for Women International, which supports the financial, educational, and interpersonal needs of women survivors of war, poverty and injustice, as well as Girl Effect, a movement working to end poverty in adolescent women.

Also supported by the Nike Foundation, Girl Effect aims to break the cycle of poverty by building confidence in young women, empowering them and providing access to education and services. “[Girl Effect] will spend 10 to 18 months [in a village in Ethiopia, or Malawi, or Nigeria] just getting to know the village elders, the men who are in charge of what happens not just to the women, but also, obviously, the children,” Winfrey tells PEOPLE. “They will spend time sitting around, drinking tea, smoking the peace pipe, or whatever happens to be the communal expression for sharing in any particular environment.”

“They will spend time with those men and, eventually women, convincing the elders it’s important that your daughter go to school,” she continues. “You end up transforming lives because you first get the girls to see themselves differently. You get them to see the possibility for themselves. And then you get them to see that, ‘Oh, I don’t have to be married at 12. There can be a life for me if I can get myself educated but my father won’t let me be educated.’ ”

Winfrey, who believes Girl Effect successfully employs a “non-traditional model for transforming the lives of adolescent girls,” says she’s learned from the organization’s leaders the importance of working with young people between the ages of 9 and 19.

“After a girl’s already had several children or been married off, it’s too hard,” she says. “The power of Girl Effect is they understand you’ve got to change the way the girl sees herself and the way her community sees her in order to bring about full empowerment.” That’s why those conversations about women in society need to happen early —so girls can reach their full potential.

Girl Effect is just another example of Winfrey’s dedication to helping women get the education they deserve.  The philanthropist also built a world-class school for girls in South Africa for grades 7 through 12 through the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls. Winfrey hopes the students who finish at The Academy will continue their educational paths and eventually transform their communities and countries.

“I have the ultimate satisfaction, I have the ultimate reward that I did exactly what I wanted to do,” says Winfrey. “I wanted to change the lives of these girls at my school. I have been graced with living long enough to see them fulfill the potential that I saw in them when they were 11 and 12 years old.”

“This coming year, 2017, I will have 10 girls in the United States graduate,” she adds of the success of her program. “I have to actually attend 10 graduations of girls graduating from some of the best schools in the United States — one of them now left Spelman and is at Oxford. I have watched them as little girls, literally, blossom into these flourishing young women that are just so dynamic. They’re going to change what happens in their country and in the world.”

http://people.com/human-interest/oprah-winfrey-people-25-women-changing-the-world-with-new-normal-for-women/

Go wash your mouth out.

I didn't say anything.

So you don't think Oprah had any idea about Weinstein?

Anyway, It's just a meme. Wink
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:45 am

It’s an offensive meme. Basically equating her to a pimp.

Not everyone in the same business knows the bad ones.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:49 am

I don't want to sound like an arse here but memorial threads should just be about paying respects, right?

If you want to debate it - start another thread.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down