NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NSW bans Greyhound Racing

+4
HoratioTarr
Raggamuffin
Major
'Wolfie
8 posters

Go down

NSW bans Greyhound Racing Empty NSW bans Greyhound Racing

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:13 am

cheers

AFTER years of ongoing cruelty, criminal activities, and long running corruption through the greyhound racing and betting industry,  the NSW government has finally puled the plug...

The industry was given more than enough time to clean up their act..

But, being the brainless amateurs that many of the trainers and breeders are, they simply refused to clean their act up.

NOW,  the police and RSPCA will have to be supported and funded in cracking down on coursing and illegal gambling..

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-07/greyhound-racing-to-be-banned-in-new-south-wales/7576816

http://m.smh.com.au/sport/nsw-premier-mike-baird-announces-ban-on-greyhound-racing-after-special-commission-of-inquiry-20160707-gq0fw3.html

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/home/pets/nsw-government-bans-greyhound-racing-what-will-happen-to-the-dogs/news-story/d9145ea270289da8f07fcb39aee1e0c1

NSW bans Greyhound Racing 1763903427
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

NSW bans Greyhound Racing Empty Re: NSW bans Greyhound Racing

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:04 am

I think it's OK as a sport, but its how the dogs are treated which is the problem, and if they've had a chance to clean up their act, it's their own fault it's been banned.

There's a push here by the League Against Cruel Sports to regulate it better. Vice President, Annette Crosbie, is very vocal about it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:05 am

Major wrote:Greyhound racing here was 'big' business when I was younger, many enjoyed watching it.
Greyhound and big dog owners would go to the local abattoir for free or cheapo offal to feed them, we used to reckon some of the humans ate some of the offal.

Watching a greyhound lurcher type dog pursuing a hare acoss a field of which the hare knows every little fence hole which the dog cannot get through is is clever on the part of the hare who more often than not gets away.

I open ground several dogs pursue a hare which gets caught more often.  

You're talking about hare coursing, which is a disgusting "sport", and is now illegal in this country.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:35 am

Major wrote:Greyhound racing here was 'big' business when I was younger, many enjoyed watching it.
Greyhound and big dog owners would go to the local abattoir for free or cheapo offal to feed them, we used to reckon some of the humans ate some of the offal.

Watching a greyhound lurcher type dog pursuing a hare acoss a field of which the hare knows every little fence hole which the dog cannot get through is is clever on the part of the hare who more often than not gets away.

I open ground several dogs pursue a hare which gets caught more often.  

There's no excuse for blood sports, none whatsoever. What was once a way people had to catch game to eat at a time when there was perhaps no other means is one thing....doing it for the fun of it now, is quite unacceptable.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:39 am

Raggamuffin wrote:I think it's OK as a sport, but its how the dogs are treated which is the problem, and if they've had a chance to clean up their act, it's their own fault it's been banned.

There's a push here by the League Against Cruel Sports to regulate it better. Vice President, Annette Crosbie, is very vocal about it.

They cut the ears off the dogs that are not fit for racing, because all racing dogs are tattooed and it avoids identification.  What you see on the tracks are the fit dogs that are well looked after.   Behind the scenes are the thousands of dogs that don't make the grade and are often cruelly neglected.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:40 am

I really have no time for any sport that involves animal exploitation. Be it racing, or those terrible Waterworld Sea parks where they make killer whales and dolphins perform.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:31 am

Major wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:I really have no time for any sport that involves animal exploitation.  Be it racing, or those terrible Waterworld Sea parks where they make killer whales and dolphins perform.

How about human exploitation in sport? HT

Humans are pushed to the limit and over and get injud.

They do it voluntarily.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:34 pm

Major wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Major wrote:

They do it voluntarily.

How about littlunz in sport/dancing who have pushy mothers? they don't have a choice.

My pet hate

Greyhounds are mostly rehomed - I think Horatio may be talking about places in Ireland where they cut the dogs' ears off and then hang them from trees.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/dec/19/antonybarnett.theobserver1

eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:16 pm

eddie wrote:
Major wrote:

How about littlunz in sport/dancing who have pushy mothers? they don't have a choice.

My pet hate

Greyhounds are mostly rehomed - I think Horatio may be talking about places in Ireland where they cut the dogs' ears off and then hang them from trees.

Hate to tell you Eddie, but it is a tiny minority that are rehomed.   Thousands of puppies that don't make the grade are shot and buried, as are a huge number of adult dogs that simply disappear.   Greyhound racing is the biggest killer of dogs in the UK.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:25 pm

Major wrote:I have seen countless hunting dogs in kennels and everyone has been looked after.
Those who spout crap make it up and do not speak from experience.

These animals are valuable so WHY would you not look after them

Awww, as sick as all of that 'lesser thinking humanity' is Stormee; they fall into every category that has anything & everything to do with animals.  I've seen it with race horses/quarter horses/miniature pony farms/ranchers/dairy farmers/dog breeders/puppy mills/cat breeders/people that start out rescuing cats and then become hoarders of those same type of animals. 
And believe me when I say; the more expensive the breed of the horse - the more likely that there will be the back alley number of equine going to the dog food packers weekly because those fillies & stud colts just aren't going to make the 'cut' for the racing seasons cost to train or future breeding program. 
It's the reality and reason I walked away from staying with equine training in my college years.  Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:57 pm

sassy wrote:
eddie wrote:
Major wrote:

My pet hate

Hate to tell you Eddie, but it is a tiny minority that are rehomed.   Thousands of puppies that don't make the grade are shot and buried, as are a huge number of adult dogs that simply disappear.   Greyhound racing is the biggest killer of dogs in the UK.

Yeah I kinda know sass. It's too horrible to think about.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:00 pm

eddie wrote:
sassy wrote:

Yeah I kinda know sass. It's too horrible to think about.

I know what you mean, I'd rescue them all if I could.

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:17 pm

Major wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:I really have no time for any sport that involves animal exploitation.  Be it racing, or those terrible Waterworld Sea parks where they make killer whales and dolphins perform.

Most humans have a choice, and if it's a child, then there are systems in place to protect them. On the whole, animals have no voice.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:21 pm

A dog doesn't have to run if it doesn't want to...

If it wanted to... it could walk out of the traps, sit down and start licking it's genitals...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:30 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:A dog doesn't have to run if it doesn't want to...
If it wanted to... it could walk out of the traps, sit down and start licking it's genitals...
And that folks, is posted by someone that knows ABSOLUTELY nothing about the dog(s), how to train dog(s) and what happens to those dog(s) that are shown running at the track! 

There's the racer's and then there's the ones doing what dim-wit stated ...are dead and aren't being wasted time/energy/food because they won't be trained to do as they are instructed!  NSW bans Greyhound Racing 2396444674

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:09 pm

Tommy that might've been the single most stupid post you've ever made. Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:10 pm

That's the whole point of this thread. The ones who don't run are the ones who get abused.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:11 pm

That's if they even get old enough to get abused!

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:12 pm

sassy wrote:That's if they even get old enough to get abused!

Doesn't bear thinking about.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:13 pm

Tens of thousands of dogs are disposed of every year by the British greyhound racing industry - because they fail to make the grade as racers or when their racing days are over.

About 25,000 greyhound pups are registered every year in the British Isles. The number bred is actually many thousands more than this,
when taking into account pups that never get registered and those killed by breeders at a very young age.

Although most of these dogs are bred in Ireland, the majority are produced to supply the demands of the British greyhound racing industry.

Thousands of greyhound pups and young dogs are put to death because they fail to reach racing standards. We estimate that over 10,000 are killed annually in the British Isles.
Dogs which actually make it to the track are very likely to experience suffering during their racing careers. It has been estimated that greyhounds running on British tracks sustain more than 12,000 injuries every year and that 10% of dogs that race are already suffering from injuries. Injured toes, torn muscles, strained tendons and arthritic joints are commonplace.

At least 10,000 greyhounds “retire” from racing in Britain every year, at an average age of just 2½ years old. This is either because of injury or because they are adjudged to be no longer good enough to race.

Very few of these dogs manage to find good homes. This is hardly surprising, given a situation where many thousands of ordinary dogs are put to sleep every year because no homes are available for them.

The British greyhound racing industry has admitted that 500 - 1,000 retired greyhounds are put to death every year. This alone would be enough to justify a ban on greyhound racing, but the true figure for retired dogs killed is, sadly, far, far higher. Quite possibly as many as 6,000.
Many ex-racing greyhounds are simply abandoned and a large number are killed, sometimes by extremely cruel methods such as drowning or poisoning, because some owners and trainers are not prepared to pay the cost of having them put to sleep by a vet.
We are receiving an increasing number of reports of trainers shooting dogs when their racing days are over.

http://www.greyhoundaction.org.uk/facts.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:15 pm

My brother had a greyhound that had been abandoned and left to it's own devices on the street.   When he found him, he could barely move he was so thin and covered in sores, laying in an alleyway waiting to die.   Glad to say he had another 11 years of good life with my brother.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:17 pm

sassy wrote:My brother had a greyhound that had been abandoned and left to it's own devices on the street.   When he found him, he could barely move he was so thin and covered in sores, laying in an alleyway waiting to die.   Glad to say he had another 11 years of good life with my brother.

Love those stories.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:21 pm

They called him Mick, he was a brindle.   Six weeks before they got married they were out with him, he ran towards my soon to be sister-in-law, forgot how to stop, ran into the front of her leg with the top of his head and broke her leg in two places!

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:26 pm

Right...I'm going to say this ONCE

BOTH of you

major and Sassy

STOP with the constant baiting ....OK.....

because IF you DONT......the next one to start will put you BOTH in the bin for a week.....

I WILL have an end to this......

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:26 pm

Major wrote:
sassy wrote:My brother had a greyhound that had been abandoned and left to it's own devices on the street.   When he found him, he could barely move he was so thin and covered in sores, laying in an alleyway waiting to die.   Glad to say he had another 11 years of good life with my brother.

Really, how luvlee for them both.
Did he also find a stray horse in the street, train it to win the Grand National and named it Shergar only to have it horse napped and claim insurance on it. lol! lol! lol!

Why don't you stick your head up your arse and find where your brains are.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:29 pm

see above...

I'll let that pass, given the time between my post and that one

NO MORE....GOTTIT?
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:41 pm

Major wrote:

Really, how luvlee for them both.
Did he also find a stray horse in the street, train it to win the Grand National and named it Shergar only to have it horse napped and claim insurance on it. lol! lol! lol!

Unecessary. Stop it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:42 pm

I never said I supported animal cruelty... in fact I'm quite against it...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:22 pm

eddie wrote:
Major wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Major wrote:

They do it voluntarily.

My pet hate

Down here they are mainly shot as the Kennels that raise them are in rural areas

they are talking about 10,000 dogs a year getting 'put down' because they aren't competitive.

AND the real thing that bought this on, was the use of 'live baiting' or the disgusting stuff Major thinks is entertainment Evil or Very Mad
it lead to furhter investigation and now closed.

I support this move.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:26 pm

It's barbaric and cruel and I have no idea how and why, it still goes on.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:32 pm

Well, it gives people something to bet on, and makes money for others, so who cares about the dogs (sigh)

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:38 am

Special Commission of Inquiry yesterday handed down a report showing up to 20 per cent of trainers were involved in the brutal practise and estimated trainers killed up to 68,000 “uncompetitive” dogs every year.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/more-sports/the-secret-greyhound-tapes-that-led-to-the-end-of-an-industry/news-story/49662fe8ef10c20b19848ff2ceef8930

more Detail on the live batiing scandal that caused the public outcry and investigation, that they tried to squash because original footage had been taken by hidden camera.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:29 am

Major wrote:Live baiting is associated with coarse fishing for pike, zander and perch.

"Live Baiting"  - what Pit Bull Fighting Rings use to train their younger dogs - going to kill shelters and obtaining numerous dogs & cats to sacrifice for their cruel training attack dogs!  There are photo's taken and an alert sent out to shelters nationwide alert them about such cases and these hit our 'local volunteer rescue groups' ...along with the names and dr.'s photo's of those cretins that obtained the dogs & cats for their demonic use - but sadly our inhumane laws just aren't stiff enough to prevent much of this activity.  
"Live baiting" - what those good-ole-boys do when gator baiting doesn't work with dead chickens running a triple hook into the jaws of a dog/cat and trolling that behind a boat or a bank line to attract a gator ...
Yipper those southern bible belt humanoids really know some extreme beyond the pale cruel methods for torturing animals.

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:42 pm

Idea

"LIVE BAITING" In relation to greyhound racing, is trainers using captured/trapped live rabbits, hares, cats or possums to 'blood' their dogs, in the belief that it will make them run harder as they chase the mechanical 'bunny' around the track...

Despite the protestations of the industry, it is a sorry fact that around 15-->>20% of trainers (or more, in some regions..) still use the disproven, cruel and widely-despised practice..

"COURSING" is the illegal gambling/gaming practice, where greyhounds are used to chase down and kill rabbits and hares, usually hidden away in a back paddock, or out in a bush clearing, promoted strictly through word of mouth; by sly operators continually moving their operations, to try and stay one step ahead of police, RSPCA and activist groups..      Suspect
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down